Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
My question concerns your engineering choices for the drive train. You chose the center electronic locking differential (albeit the housing was the bastard child of your diesel rear with an aluminum frot), and then put in completely open front and rear DANA 44's. The rear not even really being a 44, its more like a 45 that has every aftermarket axel manufactuer scratching their head when you tell them about it.

HOW Was this cost effective; HOW was this in keeping with the outstanding history of Jeep's QuadraDriveII system to dumb down our AWD to an 80s version; HOW am I supposed is a system like this able to compete in a global market of AWD system from Porsche, VW, and the Japaneese alike.

And of course HOW is a gearhead like myself supposed to get sleep at night knowing this "MC-Escher of a 4WD system" lies beneath his pride-and-joy Jeep?

BTW, I love you guys, I have an engineering degree and two years experince as an EIT before I joined the navy, still hiring? :D
As you already know, building cars like the Grand Cherokee SRT 8 always involves making choices that deliver the best bang for the buck. In order to get any of our programs approved we must have a rock solid business case. Rest assured the parts were developed to meet our functional objectives and provide world class performance at the best price......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Limp mode

I have a new (less than 1000 miles) 07 GCsrt, and have already experienced the "limp mode" and clunking shift from 1st to second. Should dealer already have "fix" ready as I have read many others with same problem on this site?

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I am experiencing a groaning noise from the rear somewhere with my Grand Cherokee SRT8 when moderately accelerating from around 20 to 40mph. The dealer claims they could not replicate. To me it almost sounds like a resonance or vibration but the noise is extremely intrusive in the cabin. Others claim to have the same issue any ideas?
Took us a while but we think we figured it out:

But seriously, this sounds like the transfer case engagement and it's normal when the engaging the front drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Took us a while but we think we figured it out:

But seriously, this sounds like the transfer case engagement and it's normal when the engaging the front drive.
Good to know it wasn't the beans. Seriously Thank you so much for all of your time. All in all the most satisfying vehicle I have ever owned.

·
Super Moderator
11,045 Posts
Will your horrible looking exhaust for the trailer hitch work with the upgraded mopar/corsa exhaust? and are you sure we have to buy those $679 walrus tusks? please say it isn't so

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I've had my 2006 WK SRT8 for almost two years now and so far no track experience event has come anywhere near my area. Will I "lose" this option if I don't attend before the two-year mark, or is there a way I can get an extension of the deadline?
Sorry - there is no extension, however, I would highly recommend you make the trip if at all possible. Many owners have enjoyed this experience and have traveled great distances to do it a second time.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Why is it that everytime I go to the dealer (I think I have one of the best in my area) for something like transmition oil leaking, window up and down problems, tire sensor service issues, they tell me yes we know about it? Is there a way the dealers can get authorization to fix all the known issues so that I don't have to take it to the dealer every other week to get these "known" issues fixed? It's really a pain with all the back and forth.

BTW, sweet ride!! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am traveling from California to New York in a few weeks to do the Track Experience at Watkins Glenn. Will any new 2008 be in the fleet??:D

·
Coksmith&Master-Pintsman
5,180 Posts
As you already know, building cars like the Grand Cherokee SRT 8 always involves making choices that deliver the best bang for the buck. In order to get any of our programs approved we must have a rock solid business case. Rest assured the parts were developed to meet our functional objectives and provide world class performance at the best price......
ROGER THAT, UNDERSTOOD, ROLLING IN HOT.

*You ran out of money

*You realized that if all four wheels hooked to the ground you'd start breaking transmissions and axles.

*You broke a few rear axels.. instead of slapping in a DANA 60 it was cheaper to fabricate an 11.25% larger ring gear and open-ended spiders, this way only one wheel would oppose torsion on the half-shafts, and the truck would lose traction before the parts broke.

I digress, guys like me building 800-900 horsepower rigs are feeling a lot of frustration becuase the swaps for stronger parts are difficult or non-existant. If I could make a suggestion for the next generation, use the existing QDII technology, just make everything about 100% stronger. :cool:

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I must strongly register some serious complaints about my 2007 Magnum SRT8. It tends to smoke tires very easily, also tends to accelerate very quickly and reach high rates of speeds in a flash, also for a 4200lb vehicle it tends to hang in on corners at crazy speeds. And don't even get me started on the brakes ... they never seem to never fade and they appear to be causing me and my passengers minor nose bleeds. All of this and it still returns nearly 21mpg on the highway.

Clearly you guys have made some sort of pact with the devil to build such great PERFORMANCE CARS and sell them at such a reasonable price!! Keep them pure PERFORMANCE and building them for us gear head speed junkies!!
For a bunch of gearheads like us, sitting around at work at 7:45pm on our own time, comments like yours remind us we have the best jobs in the world.....thanx.... we build 'em for folks like you....drive 'em like you stole 'em.......

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Why is it that everytime I go to the dealer (I think I have one of the best in my area) for something like transmition oil leaking, window up and down problems, tire sensor service issues, they tell me yes we know about it? Is there a way the dealers can get authorization to fix all the known issues so that I don't have to take it to the dealer every other week to get these "known" issues fixed? It's really a pain with all the back and forth.

BTW, sweet ride!! :D
Call the customer advocate group (number is in your owner's manual). They can be a big help. I know we have TSB's out for all the issues you listed above. Sorry for the inconveniences you've had.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How much rear wheel spin is considered normal before the front end engages during a launch in slick conditions like a wet road from a standing start? Also is it normal for the front to engage with a bang under this condition?

·
Super Moderator
11,045 Posts

·
Sur Askdalotte
2,482 Posts
This month marks the 25th SRT chat session and the TWO YEAR anniversary. On behalf of everyone I would like to thank you guys for your continued participation and your continued dedication to making improvements on our vehicles each and every year. A few quirks aside, it just wouldn't be the same without our beloved SRT vehicles and the team behind it all. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

121 - 140 of 147 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.