Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just found this article this morning that sites a recent web chat on Thursday Sept 1. Here is a quote from the article.

"An otherwise cozy Web chat with Chrysler's SRT boss late Thursday got uncomfortable when the subject of the high pricing on the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 was raised."

""Grand Cherokee pricing has been sensitive," Gilles acknowledged."

For full article follow the link below

http://www.insideline.com/jeep/gran...of-2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-pricing.html

Looks like somebody at least is listening.

And this is by no way me bashing the 12' jeep. I like the styling and features of the new Jeep. Yes I'm sore about the lack of a huge in leap in performance but more sore about the huge price increase. I understand with some of the new features and inflation in general has caused the price to be increased but I think Chrysler tried to get a little greedy with it. Yes it is their right to do so but at what cost.....core consumer alienation?

That said I am very happy Chrysler continued the SRT into the next Gen Jeep and they stepped up their game in almost all areas. Looking forward to seeing this vehicle in Daytona in the next two weeks. Now hopefully someone up top in Chrysler will come to their senses and support the aftermarket, which really helped the popularity of these vehicles explode, with the code so these vehicles can be tuned. Only then will the full potential of the new 6.4 be realized.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Decoupling features is not reducing the price. The price stays the same (or maybe goes up), you can just buy less features and get a lower starting amount while you continue to pay a price premium to subsidize management overhead charges for the regular GC.:boohoo:

Reactions: Snuggles

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
Dave thanks for sharing this article. Definitely an interesting read and nice to know that Chrysler is taking into consideration one of buyers major concern with the new model.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Decoupling features is not reducing the price. The price stays the same (or maybe goes up), you can just buy less features and get a lower starting amount while you continue to pay a price premium to subsidize management overhead charges for the regular GC.:boohoo:
Maybe so, but the fact is you can still get in at a lower cost if you don't want some of the features. That is a benefit to the consumer.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Thanks for posting Dave.. This is a step in the right direction.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
My take on it is, they made the Luxury group standard for now cause its easier for them to build models that are the same. At some point in the future they will return it to an option. It will lower the base price to those who chose to look at it that way. But its just fancy talk to me, are you really gonna order a stripped down 60k car?

Jim

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks for the information

·
Snail On Board
4,366 Posts
Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To those who thanked me, you are welcome. I figured it was good info since it shows chrysler is at least listening to us. It is a start.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh good, now you can just drop $60K for a 5-speed jeep that's slower than the previous model. Remember when these sold for $39,000 new a few years back ?? Chrysler will soon when they realize that they priced themselves out of range on nearly all their products, then it's back to the government welfare rolls.

Ford made a better product & GM is making huge technological strides to improve the all around car, Chrysler added a 900 Watt radio. Who's going to come out on top ??

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I am amazed at the restraint in this thread.

I'll chalk it up to complaint fatique. And no I'm not excluding myself, I've *****ed plenty.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i agree. i just think everybody already said their peace. they will sell but for 50k. common sense. please bring it back. by the way there is no medicine for stupid is there??? i don't think that the true srt fan will give too shits if they cancel the wk2. because it was not true to srt orthodoxy. if you want towing get a 5.7. why did they listen to the one guy that asked for towing and not the thousand that don't need it. the think is built for speed, who wants to slow it down by towing something behind it. hell half of us only run around with a 1/2 tank of gas because we are so anal about dead weight. i got the 17 day diet just to get ready for my wk2 only to be disappointed. damn i am so bitter. wish i could build cars myself with some of the guys from this forum. just think.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Overhead my @ss. If such a "low production" vehicle is so expensive than why are the other SRT models still 10k cheaper ? Nothing will change in pricing until the sales plummet in the first year production

·
Registered
220 Posts
i agree. i just think everybody already said their peace. they will sell but for 50k. common sense. please bring it back. by the way there is no medicine for stupid is there??? i don't think that the true srt fan will give too shits if they cancel the wk2. because it was not true to srt orthodoxy. if you want towing get a 5.7. why did they listen to the one guy that asked for towing and not the thousand that don't need it. the think is built for speed, who wants to slow it down by towing something behind it. hell half of us only run around with a 1/2 tank of gas because we are so anal about dead weight. i got the 17 day diet just to get ready for my wk2 only to be disappointed. damn i am so bitter. wish i could build cars myself with some of the guys from this forum. just think.
I think more than one person wanted towing, thus the change. Remember it is a JEEP, it is an suv. It should be able to tow. There are 3 srt cars to choose from if you don't need an suv and want to go faster. The 5.7 has crap for performance. For those looking for an all in one vehicle like myself, the WK2 SRT could fit the bill. Now if they would only fix the pricing...:mad:

·
Registered
648 Posts
The beginning of the end

Overhead my @ss. If such a "low production" vehicle is so expensive than why are the other SRT models still 10k cheaper ? Nothing will change in pricing until the sales plummet in the first year production
Yup! Think they have low volume now, it's gonna get real low. It sounds like they are trying to do what GM has done with the Vette by adding the ZR1. Thing is, the Vette can still be had in "vanilla" or Z06, and the Vette has a well established fan base.

They need to keep the Jeep SRT where it has been for the last 5 years, the poor man's Porsche killer. What's up with the fancy sh$&? Big brakes, stout motor, loud exhaust...and a little mystery for average folks out there when they see it.

My guess is 2 year run max, then shutdown of the assembly lines if they continue down this path.

Now, if they wanted to experiment with a more luxurious SRT model that catered to the snobbish upty up folks who like to pose as the rest of us law breakers, then pump a 100 or 2 off the assembly line with vibrating seat cushions and magnetic leveling do dads.

The end is near if they expect to garner the level of attention with a 61K price tag that was with the first gen. And in this economy! What is the build cost for the 2012? If it is anywhere near 50K, they're fudged.

·
Registered
48 Posts
....They need to keep the Jeep SRT where it has been for the last 5 years, the poor man's Porsche killer. What's up with the fancy sh$&? Big brakes, stout motor, loud exhaust...and a little mystery for average folks out there when they see it.....

Now, if they wanted to experiment with a more luxurious SRT model that catered to the snobbish upty up folks who like to pose as the rest of us law breakers, then pump a 100 or 2 off the assembly line with vibrating seat cushions and magnetic leveling do dads...
I take it you are referring to anyone who appreciates luxury with their performance? Which includes most of the new WK2 subscribers to these threads, since it is the increase in luxury and hopefully an increase in quality that has attracted most of us to the new WK2 SRT8.

Jeep/Chrysler needs to increase sales and profitability just to survive as it has been painfully obvious, with the near bankruptcies and the buyouts, that the demographic of the previous Jeep/Chrysler customer base, which I can only hope you are not the poster child for, was not enough to keep the company afloat let alone profitable.

If Jeep/Chrysler kept things they way they were the past five years, as you wish they would, they would most certainly disappear from the automotive landscape. However, additional sales to these "snobbish upty up folks", who, trust me, do not want to pose as you, just might be the salvation they need in order to survive and hopefully be profitable going forward!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I take it you are referring to anyone who appreciates luxury with their performance? Which includes most of the new WK2 subscribers to these threads, since it is the increase in luxury and hopefully an increase in quality that has attracted most of us to the new WK2 SRT8.

Jeep/Chrysler needs to increase sales and profitability just to survive as it has been painfully obvious, with the near bankruptcies and the buyouts, that the demographic of the previous Jeep/Chrysler customer base, which I can only hope you are not the poster child for, was not enough to keep the company afloat let alone profitable.

If Jeep/Chrysler keep things they way they were the past five years, as you wish they would, they would most certainly disappear from the automotive landscape. However, additional sales to these "snobbish upty up folks", who, trust me, do not want to pose as you, just might be the salvation they need in order to survive and hopefully be profitable going forward!
Well now, have we hit a sore spot? Maybe I've been away to long to realize that the "mod happy" WK bunch that carried the first gen (as well as litter YouTube and such with racing vids....some not so legal) has turned into a bunch of volvo drivin' soccer moms.

Your attitude reeks of a "superiority complex" and a need to be above, but you just can't grasp the true nature of my post. There is a much bigger customer base in the 40K GCSRT8 then the 61K one. It's basic socio-economic distribution.

You can defend your more "refined" sense of taste anyway you wish, but the GCSRT8 will die an untimely death if it isn't made available to much broader group of customers. 61k range ain't it. Again, look at the Vette and tell me it would still be around in force if all they made were the ZR1. But then again, maybe you believe the entire SRT line-up is fueled by sales of the Viper.

Get off your high-horse and talk intelligently.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm about over this childish crap in every damn thread. Must every thread about the gen2 srt turn into bickering? I posted this because I wanted to inform people that Ralph and the srt brand heard us about the pricing.

I love my gen 1 and after sitting in a wk2 overland I am extremely impressed with the interior and build quality. Very excited about the wk2 srt now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm about over this childish crap in every damn thread. Must every thread about the gen2 srt turn into bickering? I posted this because I wanted to inform people that Ralph and the srt brand heard us about the pricing.

I love my gen 1 and after sitting in a wk2 overland I am extremely impressed with the interior and build quality. Very excited about the wk2 srt now.

I've never said the WK2 is not a nice piece of machinery. And it could be worth 61K. But I doubt many on here with the first gen went to the Porsche dealership to test drive a Cayenne because they were ready and able to purchase. What's the sales volume on the Cayenne?

They need to go with the current formula of price to performance, or the GCSRT8 will run the way of the Viper, and only one can take that spot.......guess who wins.

My opinion and prediction still stands....it is the end.

Sorry for the "doom & gloom".
My opinion and post st

1 - 20 of 36 Posts