Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago my engine light came on...Had my friend scan and find out its an upstream o2 sensor..We changed the one that looked clogged or messed up...few days later light came on again..we changed the other upstream and cleared code again...next day light on again...my srt has 33k on it with borla T cat back..On startup it smells like gas. Do you think this keeps happening because its running rich? I will have a custom tune uploaded via diablo after xmas. Would this solve the check engine light problem?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
since they were both replaced, I'm thinking either a short to the battery or fuel pressure? please advise me...VERY frustrating

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Get the specific code and we can help you. The codes are there to help with diagnosis. It should have told you if it was the left or right bank. It may not be what u think.

J

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get the specific code and we can help you. The codes are there to help with diagnosis. It should have told you if it was the left or right bank. It may not be what u think.

J
nty

It didn't say right or lft so I replaced both within a ouple days. But it def said bank o2 upstream..any suggestions? Don't wanna bring to dealer bc out of warranty

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lets say it is short with wires, can this hurt srt if driven too long

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
P0420...spoke to friend and this was it

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
P0420 is a cat efficiency code for the left bank (drivers side). If your truck is stock, it usually indicates a bad cat. O2 sensors are not the problem.

J
Makes sense...it sometimes smells bad at wot..can I drve like this for while or will I do damage? How much is stock cat? How much are high flow cats

·
Registered
33 Posts
Plugged cats can damage a motor quickly, if you are running very rich it can take out the cat. A aftermarket cat is not as good as a factory one when it comes to dealing with a rich condition so I would have the root cause addressed first.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plugged cats can damage a motor quickly, if you are running very rich it can take out the cat. A aftermarket cat is not as good as a factory one when it comes to dealing with a rich condition so I would have the root cause addressed first.
So if I get new cat, I could still run rich which would eventually ruin new cat anyway?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is your Jeep stock?
Stock tune, borla t and k&n intake..I was wondering if an exhaust leak can also cause this? I'm bringin it in to jeep on Monday but if its not bad cat then I get charged $105 for diagnostics test..I would rather bring to custom exhaust shop and get high flow cats

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am pretty sure that was the code I keep getting too.

I haven't noticed any smell so it might be something different than your issue. But I looked it up and there was a tsb saying to reflash the computer which adds a "filter" and the cause was electronic noise

Edit: I think my code was p0430, so it might be something different

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.