Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago the CEL light came on and, because of whatever caused that, the computer disable the Remote Start. I couldn't get it in to the dealer for a few days and had to drive it that way. Here are some observations: First, the gas mileage seemed to improve by about a mile per gallon during this time. My driving habits and routine are pretty set and I usually buy gas from the same place so it would be hard to attribute the imrovement to anything else. Second, during that time I ran my best 0-60 time of 4.5 (previous best 4.7) seconds on the dash timer. I did this because the truck felt more powerful and that was my only way to confirm it. I wasn't that worried about doing it with the CEL on because that's usually not anything major in my experience. My final observation was that even though the "ECO" light never came on, you could still hear the MDS kicking in and out, so it was working. I do have only 1000 miles on the truck so I guess the improvements could be tied to vehicle break in but it seems a little weird that they happened at the same time as the CEL. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they said a cold start sensor had thrown an error, though they did not replace the sensor because they couldn't get it to repeat the code. But what they did do, and what I'm a little concerned about, is they changed the Flash PCM from P/N 68041671AD to 68041671AE. Call me paranoid, but I've heard many stories in the past about vehicles being debuted with too aggressive a tune and then all being de-tuned anytime they were brought in for warranty work. A pretty notorious one was Ford Diesel trucks a few years back. It seems OK, but I haven't had a chance for a 0-60 run yet. Sorry this got so long....just thought it might be interesting info to someone. Feel free to chime in with any thoughts.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Flashing the PCM in these does not do any de-tuning. As for beating on the Jeep with an unknown CEL, probably not something I would do personally but it's your Jeep.
Additionally, if you are concerning about "de-tuning", get a predator and CMR tune

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
I take it you are talking about your 2012 jeep and not your 08 jeep by the location of this thread.

The remote start is disabled when ever an check engine code is present. Which could be anything from a cold start issue as in your case to a miss firing cylinder. It is bad to run the jeep hard with an unknown code.

Untill the encryption is cracked and a handheld is released to reprogram the PCM, you are pretty much at the dealership mercy.

I personally always tell them to not reflash anything on my jeep. They have it in there computer system stating that but I also have them write it again on any work order they print out to make sure.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, with the CEL on and an unknown error you ran it hard to get your best times? Smart...
First, I wasn't trying to set my best time, I was trying to confirm my seat of the pants suspicion that it felt more powerfull. Second, I already explained my lack of concern with the CEL. I think most people will back me up in my opinion that CEL's are usually sensor / emissions related and seldom ever anything serious, but if you've had a different experience I can certainly understand your aprehension. In the end, I didn't spend 62K for a performance vehicle and money on top of that for the extended warranty to baby the hell out of it. I trust the SRT engineers and the computer in the truck enough that if there were anything seriously wrong it would go into "limp home" mode and not let me do any real damage. If it's gonna break from normal use I'd rather have it do it under warranty. I'd call that smart. And before you say it, yes, I do consider running a 0-60 normal use....even with the CEL on....lol. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take it you are talking about your 2012 jeep and not your 08 jeep by the location of this thread.

The remote start is disabled when ever an check engine code is present. Which could be anything from a cold start issue as in your case to a miss firing cylinder. It is bad to run the jeep hard with an unknown code.

Untill the encryption is cracked and a handheld is released to reprogram the PCM, you are pretty much at the dealership mercy.

I personally always tell them to not reflash anything on my jeep. They have it in there computer system stating that but I also have them write it again on any work order they print out to make sure.
Ya, it's the 2012, so no tuning available yet. Thanks for the input on telling the dealer not to flash anything. I'll have to do that in the future. And just so everyone knows, I am aware that beating on it with a lit CEL may not be the best course of action and I'm not recommending that other people ignore it in their own cars. I wouldn't do it in someone else's vehicle...lol. It wasn't missing or running poorly so I took the chance. Thanks for the info guys.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.