Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used the nv 146 and went to the dealership, drove the jeep for about 500 miles and this morning out of nowhere it startred to make a grind noise and it even does it when stopped, after searching here i think it mught be the tc motor, but i dont know, after it changes to 2nd gear it like goes away almost completely, any help will be apreciated, it's my dd and i need to fix this soon. thx.:confused:

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Are you sure it's the t case?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont know, maybe the motor?, the rig is running good, i was doing 95 this morning and no issues, and still makes the noise when in park. so there's something moving down there , the noise is a lot worse when starting to move, once it changes to 2nd it almost goes away, when i was stoppoing at a light, it like jerked a couple times, and started grinding after that...:confused:

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I'm not an expert, but it seems odd that the t case would make noise when stopped. I figure it's something else.

As long as the right fluid, which you said NV146 and the fill amount are correct, I don't see it causing a problem after service.

I'm guessing it's something else?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Reactions: Pachy

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what do you think may have happened?, i dont have a engine light on, just the service 4wd, maybe they didnt fill it like it should?, maybe they left the plug a little bit open and it drained, i drove it on friday to raleigh, up from greenville(220 miles each way) , and came back yesterday, no issues at all.. it's just so strange , i parked it and it was perfect, i turn it on this morning and !bam! the service 4wd light goes on, i head to work, everything is working fine, i stop at a light and th egrinding noise starts, i think it's the tc or the tranny but it's shifting fine, i get on it and it responds and you can barely hear the noise, and then when i put it in park, it still making it... it stopped when i turned the jeep off.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Seems odd to be the TC if its still making the noise when you are not moving and parked. My TC only had issues when moving slow and tight turns, which turned out to be my TC motor. But noise that seems constant when not moving, is odd. Not to say it can't be the TC motor that just might be acting up, but seems like something else due to the issue not moving. GL and pls keep us posted.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Che k your front Differential :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update>>>>

well i turn it on to take it to the dealership, and it was makng the noise in park, i shift into reverse and it almost stopped maing the noise, i drive through the parking lot and still making it but not loud, i drive onto the street and it stopped makng the noise altogether, i punchd it a couple times, went up to about 80 mph, nothing, hit the brakes hard ...nothing, i get to the dealership...nothing, no light on, no sound, nothing, anyway i left it there explained it to the guy and told them to check it.....any ideas??

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Patchy, had something similar with mine. Does any of the ABS or traction control lights come on? Get a starscan tool that can read the codes that the Diablo scanners can't. Mine felt the same and it was the wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
where can i get that tool?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think a friend of mine might have one....probably they'll scanit on the delership right>? even thoiugh it's not showing "service 4wd" anymore the code might still be there right?, and no it didnt light up any lights or check engine light or anything...

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Yeah dealerships have them

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update>>>

They called me from the dealership, it's the tc actuator, and it will run me $696 plus tax. At least it's better than a new tc

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
They called me from the dealership, it's the tc actuator, and it will run me $696 plus tax. At least it's better than a new tc
You mean the Transfercase motor?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess, the guy at the dealership said it was the actuator..which is the one that's in charge of applying and /or engaging the tc clutches.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
I guess, the guy at the dealership said it was the actuator..which is the one that's in charge of applying and /or engaging the tc clutches.
Thanks! Can't believe that little motor is 700 bucks...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know, but im new here and dont know anyone, also the 696 includes parts and labor.. so maybe it's not that bad.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.