Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from Europe, guys! Thanks for keeping an awsome international community of GC SRT8 owners.

We have come across the problem with PI 2800 high stall torque converter recently, and don't know where to look for the answer. Hope somebody would help!

The problem is that our experienced mechanic completed the installation, changed the tranny fluid, and now when you start driving the car, it throws CEL almost immediately, if you continue driving the transmission goes into a limp mode. We read the CEL, it reads "Inappropriate valaues/ratio (translating here) for torque in trasmission", cleared the code, testdrove, the same thing repeats.

Also, before the LIMP mode, when the car was drivable, we noticed that on full throttle, it shifts from 1-2, 2-3, but it doesn't shift from the 3rd to the 4th gear, and then throws the CEL light.

We uninstalled everything, rechecked again, installed again - nothing helped. It feels as if the ECU simply doesn't recognize the new part and throws the CEL. We simply don't know what to do next but to return the part back to the vendor. Very confused and sad.

Has anyone had any similar problems to the described above? Any experienced guys who put their hands on high stall torque converters? Any advice?

Maybe they shipped 3200 instead of 2800 stall. I've searched through the forums, came across a few posts mentioning that in some cases - 2800 stall and up torque converters result in CELs as if the tranny can't adapt to this part.

Any help would be highly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Afraid I can't help except to recommend contacting PI. I recently had a PI 2800 installed in my Jeep and haven't had a singe issue. Due to the weather it's been mostly easy driving, but I have done several launches and number of WOT runs.

Hope you get it resolved!

wink

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Afraid I can't help except to recommend contacting PI. I recently had a PI 2800 installed in my Jeep and haven't had a singe issue. Due to the weather it's been mostly easy driving, but I have done several launches and number of WOT runs.

Hope you get it resolved!

wink
Thanks for your feedback.

Did you install it yourself? Any hints, tricks? Do you need to reflash the tranny settings etc.?

What is the difference vs. stock - normal driving, hard launches?

Is there any way to contact the guy, who installed it for you to get some advice?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Thanks for your feedback.

Did you install it yourself? Any hints, tricks? Do you need to reflash the tranny settings etc.?
No I have a speedshop do all my work for me. I know they didn't flash anything. As to tricks, I wasn't there, but they didn't mention anything special about the install. They did put in a new flexplate with the converter though. The only other thing I can think of is did you give PI all the specs (mods, power, etc) for your vehicle? They build the converters based on the application. They offer one free stall adjustment, but you have to send it to them.

What is the difference vs. stock - normal driving, hard launches?
Normal starting, like from a light, is easier now. Before it was touchy and would go into boost real easy. Now I feel I have complete control over that. Normal driving seems no different. Shifts seem the same as before, strong and crisp. That's Johan's tune. It launches a lot harder now, but spins a lot more too. But the pavement is really cold this time of year, plus I added a cam at the same time. Now it breaks loose at any speed when I punch it, and whenever it shifts at WOT. But I don't think the converter has anything to do with that. Just too much power on cold pavement, so it doesn't hook as well. Have to wait till it warms up to really gauge any changes. But there's no negative behavior since the converter.

Is there any way to contact the guy, who installed it for you to get some advice?
You can try, but he stays really busy and might not answer the phone. Probably have a better chance emailing him. His name is Michael, but I believe his partner Mark actually did the converter on mine. The company is Rocky Mountain Competitive Research (RMCR), and the email is [email protected]

Good luck!

wink

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Check the trans fluid level. That code sets when the input shaft speed doesn't match what the output shaft speed should be for that ratio. That indicates a slipping clutch, probably from too low a fluid. Fluid levels are critical on A580s and they need to be set at specific temperatures to be right.

J

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Strange ordeal indeed. I run a 3700 Paramount Dominator and have had no issues. I agree with what Joel said about tranny fluid as that's what I was thinking when I read the first post. How much tranny fluid did he put in? Our trannys are impossible to check the fluid level easily. Certain temps will yield certain fluid levels. IIRC, it's about 7-8 quarts of trans fluid when you do a converter. I THINK that's what we used. I actually think we put 7 in and then I went to the dealer and they told me I was a 1/2 low. Changing the converter shouldn't yield that type of issue unless you were having a TCM issue before the install. Is it tuned by any chance? Which tires are you running? The Euro set? Hope you get it figured out man. That sucks. These trucks with a converter are so much more fun when working right. Good luck from the States.:D

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Good point on the fluid. Was gonna have them change the fluid and filter, and Michael told me to bring extra to cover the converter. Ended up not changing the fluid, just added enough for the converter.

wink

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
My first thought is fluid too. I'd check that first, start easy then work your way up from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The only other thing I can think of is did you give PI all the specs (mods, power, etc) for your vehicle? They build the converters based on the application. They offer one free stall adjustment, but you have to send it to them.
It's not a custom one, I just purchased it from HHP, they told me I should be fine....

Check the trans fluid level. That code sets when the input shaft speed doesn't match what the output shaft speed should be for that ratio. That indicates a slipping clutch, probably from too low a fluid. Fluid levels are critical on A580s and they need to be set at specific temperatures to be right.
The mechanic says he did check several times. He told me he put 1 quart in torque converter, 5 in transmission, then started the car and added 2 more quarts.

Strange ordeal indeed. I run a 3700 Paramount Dominator and have had no issues. I agree with what Joel said about tranny fluid as that's what I was thinking when I read the first post. How much tranny fluid did he put in? Our trannys are impossible to check the fluid level easily. Certain temps will yield certain fluid levels. IIRC, it's about 7-8 quarts of trans fluid when you do a converter. I THINK that's what we used. I actually think we put 7 in and then I went to the dealer and they told me I was a 1/2 low. Changing the converter shouldn't yield that type of issue unless you were having a TCM issue before the install. Is it tuned by any chance? Which tires are you running? The Euro set? Hope you get it figured out man. That sucks. These trucks with a converter are so much more fun when working right. Good luck from the States.
No TCM issues as far as I am concerned before. The car is a US spec, imported from the US, MY 2008. Basic bolt-ons: Borla catback, Mopar intake, Eibach springs, tires now 255/45 R20 - winter all around. Thanks for your comments and advice. Love the states, used to live for a few years in Virginia Beach, VA)

News for today is that mechanic returned stock converter back into the car, and you guess what - it throws CEL the same way and doesn't upshift to 4th gear. Looks like the tranny is in trouble, but what exactly, we have to find out.

Very upset :-((((( You want some performance gain, and all you get is PAIN)

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
If it's a US Spec Jeep, then maybe your winter tires are doing something to it. Just a thought but prolly not the case. How long have they been on the Jeep? You said it would shift 3-4. Was that with stock tires or winter setup? You don't have a Pred. to set the tire size do you? It really shouldn't make a diff. I would think if the tires have the same OD. Just throwing some things out there for troubleshooting that's all.

Out of curiousity, how did he check the trans fluid?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely, not the case, cause it all started with the torque converter installation, prior to that no signs of any problems.
BTW, predator purchased as well - didn't have time to put my hands on it yet, any suggestions where to start from? Will it adapt to my current mods? So basically, it contains a pre-installed tune in it, all i need to do is hook it up to obd II, go through the menu, and that's it? Not familiar with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely, not the case, cause it all started with the torque converter installation, prior to that no signs of any problems.
BTW, predator purchased as well - didn't have time to put my hands on it yet, any suggestions where to start from? Will it adapt to my current mods? So basically, it contains a pre-installed tune in it, all i need to do is hook it up to obd II, go through the menu, and that's it? Not familiar with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having the same problem right now. Not shifting to 4th after the converter install (3000 FTI). Did you ever figure out the problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts