Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would post this here in the intake/exhaust area since the catch can is right next to the intake. :)

I got my Billet Technology catch can today. What a beautiful piece for $110 bucks. Here is the downside (for me). I opted for the standard bracket install. There is a stud that you are supposed to attach the catch can to just south west of the air intake. They do have a video of the install on their website now. I have never opened the hood of the Jeep and assumed it would screw in very easily and away I would go. There is a large hose that isn't too much in the way, but there is a 2nd hose that isn't in their video that puts a damper on things. The 2 hoses together make it so that there is no room at all for the catch can. I am ordering the Z bracket so that I can get the catch can up and it will be easily accessible. For those of you that are ordering this mod, just spend the extra money to get the Z bracket, it will make life that much easier. I learned the hard way. Now I gotta wait a few more days until I can get the bracket shipped out to me.

BTW, I will try and post pics of what I am talking about soon, it is late and I need to get some sleep.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah I wondered about this myself. I ended up ordering mine from maryland speed as the z bracket is standard with their kit and it was cheaper than getting it from BT direct. Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a pic of what I am talking about, the bolt in the middle is where the catch can is supposed to attach, as you can see there is no room for the can itself. Get the z bracket.

Attachments

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah I wondered about this myself. I ended up ordering mine from maryland speed as the z bracket is standard with their kit and it was cheaper than getting it from BT direct. Good luck with your install.
Did you order the hoses with it? Were they the right length for the 6.4 or do they need trimming.

I'm deciding whether to get the braided lines, they look awesome but I'm afraid they might be too long since Maryland lists the install as the 6.1 not the 6.4.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Did you order the hoses with it? Were they the right length for the 6.4 or do they need trimming.

I'm deciding whether to get the braided lines, they look awesome but I'm afraid they might be too long since Maryland lists the install as the 6.1 not the 6.4.
BT sells a conversion kit for their catch can to use on the 6.4 with z-bracket (if you already have a z-bracket and catch can)

http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20400.htm

·
Registered
467 Posts
BT sells a conversion kit for their catch can to use on the 6.4 with z-bracket (if you already have a z-bracket and catch can)

http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20400.htm
Thanks, but if you add that to the cost, then it's almost the same as ordering it right from Billet Tech direct.

I got it through Modern Muscle and paid less. It includes the Z bracket and hardware for the 6.4L.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Thanks, but if you add that to the cost, then it's almost the same as ordering it right from Billet Tech direct.

I got it through Modern Muscle and paid less. It includes the Z bracket and hardware for the 6.4L.

Thanks.
Uhm...the conversion kit it 20 bucks. As I stated, if you already have a catch can and z-bracket......

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ooops, my bad. I didn't see the "if you already have a catch can and z bracket".

That's a pretty good deal, I know Mongoose made up his own kit with regular hose and some Home Depot plumbing connections.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Ooops, my bad. I didn't see the "if you already have a catch can and z bracket".

That's a pretty good deal, I know Mongoose made up his own kit with regular hose and some Home Depot plumbing connections.
I'm sure I have my setup like if you were to buy one from billet tech. Unless you order braided lines. I just wanted mine on ASAP. They made a comment in this thread when I posted up, post 10.
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60453

The hose is the same type that came with my catch can when I originally bought it for my WK1. I just needed new longer pieces. The barb fitting is used for a cleaner look. There are two different sizes that the barb fitting splices together cleanly.

·
Registered
220 Posts

I don't have it yet(shipped yesterday) I figure they will probably need some trimming, also why i decided not to go with the braided lines.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't have it yet(shipped yesterday) I figure they will probably need some trimming, also why i decided not to go with the braided lines.
Gotcha. I ended up ordering it yesterday from Modern Muscle at the same price as Maryland. I ordered the braided hose as they specifically listed the 6.4L application where as Maryland was still showing it as the 6.1L application. The connection locations are different on the two, so the hoses should be different too.

We'll see how it comes in, but Billet Tech. on their video specifically says they shortened the braided hoses for the 6.4L application. Guess we'll see.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
FYI When ordering the Jeep Can "Non lx" it will come with the z bracket. That bracket was specifically designed for you jeep guys/gals. So if you ever get a Can without one somebody screwed the pooch somewhere.

Also keep in mind the braided lines we sell are "Nylon" braided. THey are actually pretty easy to cut. We sometimes send them out a little longer as you can also cut them but adding length isnt as easy :)

THanks everyone for your support as always..

·
Registered
467 Posts
Installed my Billet Technology catch can last night. I got the entire kit with braided hoses from Modern Muscle. Great guys over there and a great price. They even called me to see what length hose I wanted to make sure the install is correct.

Here is a pic. The only issue is the BT Z bracket needs to be just a bit taller to clear the wire harness. You can barely see it in my picture, but I had to rotate the Z bracket a little to the right (looking from the front) to have the bottom of the catch can free up from banging into the wire harness.

Also, you need to cut the rubber fitting off of the rear stock connection back by the firewall. There is a plastic fitting inside the rubber which the new hose then just slips right on to. I thought it would just pop out like the front, but it doesn't.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Installed my Billet Technology catch can last night. I got the entire kit with braided hoses from Modern Muscle. Great guys over there and a great price. They even called me to see what length hose I wanted to make sure the install is correct.

Here is a pic. The only issue is the BT Z bracket needs to be just a bit taller to clear the wire harness. You can barely see it in my picture, but I had to rotate the Z bracket a little to the right (looking from the front) to have the bottom of the catch can free up from banging into the wire harness.

Also, you need to cut the rubber fitting off of the rear stock connection back by the firewall. There is a plastic fitting inside the rubber which the new hose then just slips right on to. I thought it would just pop out like the front, but it doesn't.

Do the wires get in the way of unscrewing the can?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Do the wires get in the way of unscrewing the can?
They do unless you rotate it like I did. When fully screwed on and totally vertical, the bottom of the can just touches the wire harness. When you rotate it just a bit like I did, you get a 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance which is all you need to unscrew the can.

FYI When ordering the Jeep Can "Non lx" it will come with the z bracket. That bracket was specifically designed for you jeep guys/gals. So if you ever get a Can without one somebody screwed the pooch somewhere.

Also keep in mind the braided lines we sell are "Nylon" braided. THey are actually pretty easy to cut. We sometimes send them out a little longer as you can also cut them but adding length isnt as easy :)
I need to trim my braided lines a bit yet. Also, can you guys see how the Z bracket is not quite tall enough to have the can clear the wire harness on the Jeep? It works tilting the bracket a bit, but it would look 1,000,000 times better if the bracket were just a half inch taller.

Reactions: *SLICKSRT8*

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I agree on having the bracket slightly taller. The can looks ever-so-slightly "off". But it sure brightens up an otherwise dull engine compartment. Two thumbs up!
I think an alum. intake a la 6.1's of past or painted version would help a lot as well (eg: OEM red accents on the valve covers...)

Without meaning to open a can of worms, has there ever been documented proof that the catch can gives us even just 1 hp? The catch can was all the rage back when I had my Charger as well, but I never got one 'cause I couldn't get confirmation that it really did help increase output.

Anyone?

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
PIf anything it'll keep the intake and manifold cleaner. The catch can prevents a hp power loss. Oil lowers the effective octane rating of the fuel. Less octane the less aggressive the timing can be.

As for proven/documents gains, it may need to be a long term study. Say dyno results at 5k compared to 50k miles. Without a catch can there should be more oil in the manifold at 50k miles than if one was installed early on.

I've had my installed for 6,000 miles already. Put it on about 28 miles on the odometer. I'd say it's caught about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil already.

If anything else it looks cool! It adds 50hp in my book when people ask ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just installed my catch can last night. Took a very short period of time (30 minutes). I will summarize very quickly.

Take off the stock line first. This makes screwing the catch can on to the z bracket easier. It pulls right off. You might need to twist a bit as well to get it.

My Z bracket came with a spacer, I used that behind the screw mount on the Z bracket. This pulled the catch can closer to the hood by a half inch. This gave a bit more clearance over the stock wiring where the bottom of the catch can sits.

I still need to adjust my hose lengths. I was at work when I installed my setup (the benefits of having a slow day at work). I didn't have all my tools, I want to make sure the hoses are cut right.

Kadonny said you need to cut off the rubber fitting on the back tube inlet, I was going to do that, but I tried twisting and eventually it came off. That is the hardest part of the install. I will say that I cannot get the new tubing to go all the way on the back inlet, that is what I am going to do today as well as cut my tubing for the perfect length.

Overall this is a .5 out of 10 on the install meter. About the easiest piece I have added to any of my cars.

I have 900 miles on the Jeep, I will be getting my oil changed at 3k, I will see what the can has caught. I know there was oil already getting through because when I took the stock tube off there was oil on both ends and I smelled it and got oil on my nose.

Call me crazy, but after I installed it my car felt quicker. This could be from something else though, my last fill up at the station was 92 octane gas. I could only get a 5.0 with my 0-60. I filled up with 93 today, so that may have a slight impact. Overall the car felt much quicker today.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
This might be a stupid question but what is the square box on top of the intake manifold? It has a lid that srews on and off but not sure what its there for...

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.