Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

CarPlay aftermarket head unit in 2012

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mason Hall 
#1 ·
Ok I put in a CarPlay head unit in my Corvette and love it! Now I'd like to do the same for my 2012. I've used a vendor who has all the harnesses so it's just plug and play. So here are my questions:

1- can I get a bigger screen then the small 12-13 one? What do I need to do?

2- anybody wired an aftermarket headunit and been able to keep the steering wheel controls and mike?

Any good install threads would be great!

N

#2 ·
The only way I can see a bigger screen working is to use the bezel from a 13+, but you would also have to use the newer a/c controls. I doubt that's possible. Not sure if the 2012 uses the slow or fast can-bus. I've seen a few CarPlay kits on eBay that are suppose to work with steering controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Not sure if you are still looking for info on this....I am in the middle of upgrading my head unit....as well as everything else from speakers, subs and amps.....
You can put an aftermarket unit it. You need to trim the plastic that is between the radio and the ac controls. That it.... you will need to get the wiring harness though. Your best bet is crutchfield. They do wiring harness for these things. You can chose what sort of level you want. I got the most expensive one because it does everything... Rear seat entertainment, steering controls, connect, gauges, backup camera, mic and everything else will go through the aftermarket stereo.. Call them up and chat to them. Also be careful what stereo you put in. not all stereos will allow you to use all the functions as I have just listed. One of the better ones to use is the Kenwood DDX6902 or DDX6903.

#4 ·
There is a Dongle that may suit you guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.