Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the commentary:

- this one's even more sophisticated than before thanks to...
- ride quality/interior trim vastly improved
- a serious upgrade over the previous SRT8
- this SRT8 has moved up market..
- ... has the guts to go up against some serious competition...
- two steps forward and maybe a half back
- bigger, much less distinctive in appearance and heavier
- what we do like is it's more sophisticated, rides great, more power, "nearly as quick as before"
- still embarrasses the blue bloods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_emSfqfjU0&feature=youtu.be

Bernie

Reactions: Stephen5242

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head.... and then theres always the price thing... but we wont go there..... AGAIN.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
They already have the Overland for the upscale crowd.

Reactions: autenb

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Pretty much has it right there.... thanks for sharing Bernie!

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
IMO this is the fairest opinion I have heard yet. He clearly defines reasons for both the pros and cons of this jeep, and specifically in retrospect to the previous version. I agree with most everything he says. The only thing I don't agree with is showing a video of the jeep versus the MB G55 AMG. I mean come on really?
G55 AMG Performance
0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) 5.5 sec
Top Speed 130 mph (electronically limited)
There is no comparison here. At least compare the WK2 to a Cayenne Turbo or BMW X5/6M.

Thanks for sharing Bernie.

·
Sur Askdalotte
2,482 Posts
WK2SRT8 = IMO, an inside the park home run...

Unfortunately, a few major shortcomings prevent it from having been a Grand Slam:

1. "has the guts to go up against some serious competition..."

But yet can't even beat the model it replaces, which is kinda embarrassing. What would it have taken to tweak just a bit more power out of the 6.4?

2. "much less distinctive in appearance"

A. They took away one of the most popular and distinctive features - the dual center exhaust. Big mistake. For what they are charging for the tow option ($1,000) they certainly could have engineered/offered split exhaust for the tow package and center exhaust without it.

B. They need to bring some anti-chrome designers on board, quickly, before it gets out of hand!

3. Outdated navigation radios

A 2012 $65k vehicle should not have an outdated navigation radio. The new 8.4" with its incredible performance screens should have been standard in the intro model year.

4. Transmission

Need I say more?

·
Registered
451 Posts
^^^
WOW! R.S. you were the last person on here I ever thought would express his true feelings on the WK2SRT. Not tyrying to stir anything, but you were one of the few guys on here who alluded to the WK2 beating the WK1 in performance.

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Just wait till next year everyone. Judging by Resume's avatar, the 6.2L SC engine will be coming to life. He had the 6.4L once. Now the 6.2L. Hopefully they will stick it in the Jeep. I feel for all the people buying a 2012 when it looks like the 2013 could possibly be the year to buy.

I gotta hand it to Resume.... Him and I kinda battled it out about preliminary speed numbers a while back but yet he voices his true opinion now. I hated the thing at first but after seeing the black one in person vs. the silver one, I'm slowly coming around. We have sort of switched places. We both agree it's a step up and a step back I think. This review states that as well.

Can't wait to see it with an Eaton on it..... assuming that's what they'll go with since every Manu. runs them on blown OEM configurations. Would be nice to see Chryco turbocharge them but we all know they're not that smart.;)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Reactions: cmn1

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
WK2SRT8 = IMO, an inside the park home run...

Unfortunately, a few major shortcomings prevent it from having been a Grand Slam:

1. "has the guts to go up against some serious competition..."

But yet can't even beat the model it replaces, which is kinda embarrassing. What would it have taken to tweak just a bit more power out of the 6.4?

2. "much less distinctive in appearance"

A. They took away one of the most popular and distinctive features - the dual center exhaust. Big mistake. For what they are charging for the tow option ($1,000) they certainly could have engineered/offered split exhaust for the tow package and center exhaust without it.

B. They need to bring some anti-chrome designers on board, quickly, before it gets out of hand!

3. Outdated navigation radios

A 2012 $65k vehicle should not have an outdated navigation radio. The new 8.4" with its incredible performance screens should have been standard in the intro model year.

4. Transmission

Need I say more?
^ Could not have been more eloquent. Exactly!!!

Reactions: jmg

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
From what I've heard, the massive millions spent on the engineering and test of the 6.4 was so disappointing that afterwords the engineers had to stick the active runner manifold on there just to make the power it has..........

·
Registered
186 Posts
From what I've heard, the massive millions spent on the engineering and test of the 6.4 was so disappointing that afterwords the engineers had to stick the active runner manifold on there just to make the power it has..........
Yeah, too bad they coulnd't take the looks, refinement and superb handling of the WK2 and combine with slightly better speed of the wk1. I would be dissapointed too if I was one of those engineers .

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Any word on why they didn't just use the 6.4 crate motor they have. Wasn't it rated at 525hp? Was the EPA stuff to bad?

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
I'm sure it couldn't pass emissions.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Best review yet.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I'm still holding hope Jeep will build me a Viper engined SRT10 Jeep with side exhaust. I'd pay a pretty penny for that bad boy..

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Chrysler need to hire new engineers for their engine/performance development. 6.4L and all they can get out of it is 470HP, what's up with that.
I am not a Ford fan but they were able to get 412HP out of their 5.0L engine.
Mercedes got 500+ out of their 6.3L.
I'm talking about N/A engines BTW.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Fair assessment.

I must be honest and admit that the WK2 srt8 has grown on me A LOT. I love the interior and the the exterior is starting to look normal to me. The wheels are not killing it as much as it did orginally but I still think there are better options. I want one in the future for sure but not at the bloated price.

I will wait for the new nav, led tail lights, 500hp (okay maybe that wont happen), and the ability to tune the new computer system. I will not get rid of my WK1 for it. The WK1 will always be the rowdy older bro and I love that about it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts