Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my rear vreds cam in today and they are sweet! thanks keoni;) i want to get them on. my fronts wont be here for anout another 2 weeks as i have to order them this week. can i put the rear 315/35/20's on and still keep the front stock tires?? will this thro anything off as far as engine?tranny? hurt anything? experts please chime in.thanks

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Not sure but I was always under the impression that one needs to have the same tires on all four corners so no to mess up the ABS. BUT I have also read on here of people running different snow tires front and back.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
the issue is the overall tire diameter. the tire width isnt an issue.

the diameter needs to be the same so the transfer case doesnt get messed up. the jeep is AWD, so if all the wheels arent spinning at the same speed (most of the time)... then the transfer case suffers.

Grab a measuring tape and make sure that the tires (when mounted) are the same overall height.

doesnt matter if you have 37" tires, they all need to be the same overall diameter.

·
Registered
745 Posts
my rear vreds cam in today and they are sweet! thanks keoni;) i want to get them on. my fronts wont be here for anout another 2 weeks as i have to order them this week. can i put the rear 315/35/20's on and still keep the front stock tires?? will this thro anything off as far as engine?tranny? hurt anything? experts please chime in.thanks
The 315/35 rears are 28.68 diameter vs 29.03 for the 255/45 fronts. This is a 1.21% difference vs the stock 285/40 rears which are 28.97 or 0.21% difference. The Vreds should be close enough that you don't have any issues. I believe the recommendation is to be within 3% so as not to damage your transfer case.

·
Super Moderator
10,992 Posts
The 315/35 rears are 28.68 diameter vs 29.03 for the 255/45 fronts. This is a 1.21% difference vs the stock 285/40 rears which are 28.97 or 0.21% difference. The Vreds should be close enough that you don't have any issues. I believe the recommendation is to be within 3% so as not to damage your transfer case.
I agree and used Vreds on my fronts for road course duty and still have had no transfer case issues.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thtas what i saw rob. i used that tire calculator jim sent to me. and the difference was only like 1.2.% i think it waS. SO IM JUST GONNA DO IT. besides ill have the new ones on in no more thren 2 weeks and i dont drive it everyday altho i have been to get some more miles on the beast to burn in the cats..

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
should i do any adjustments on the trinity for tire size or leave it. johan told me to leave it but im just curious as to what you guys running the vreds have done???

·
Super Moderator
10,992 Posts
should i do any adjustments on the trinity for tire size or leave it. johan told me to leave it but im just curious as to what you guys running the vreds have done???

You are re-donk-ulous. Your tuner said to leave it alone. So leave it alone. You are putting on a tire that is pretty much the same as what you took off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts