Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install my enclosure and amp in my 09 and I was wondering if I would be able to use the harness that goes from the kicker sub to the overlay harness that is already in the vehicle?

I would have just used the kicker sub but it was "missing" when I bought the vehicle.

I spoke with Kicker yesterday and they have the part but were not much help when I was explaining what I was intending to do with it.

So basically what I want to do is make my new sub removable in the same way the the stock one is with that same harness (kicker called it the Power Harness part # RHJS1-PWR). Has anyone one done this, I searched i couldn't find much info doing this.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
In for this as well !! Currently running a hi/low conv. but I dont like the sound :(

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
not sure that harness would provide enough power to run a decent aftermarket amp. Why not just pick up the sub that belongs in there?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure that harness would provide enough power to run a decent aftermarket amp. Why not just pick up the sub that belongs in there?
I don't really want to spend the money on something of such poor quality.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Hasn't anyone tried this?

No, mainly because when you run an aftermarket amp, they usually have wire guage requirements that far exceed what the Kicker harness uses. I have the Kicker dual setup, and installed it myself. I wouldn't use the harness for an aftermarket system, its chincy as hell. The kicker amp puts out nothing for sub power, it will sound horrible hooked to an aftermarket sub.....I tried.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, mainly because when you run an aftermarket amp, they usually have wire guage requirements that far exceed what the Kicker harness uses. I have the Kicker dual setup, and installed it myself. I wouldn't use the harness for an aftermarket system, its chincy as hell. The kicker amp puts out nothing for sub power, it will sound horrible hooked to an aftermarket sub.....I tried.
Thanks man. I wouldnt even try to use the kicker amp. I was just more concerned about the power output. The setup that I have isn't much more powerful then the kicker but it just sounds much cleaner and I already have it in one of my other cars that I was going to upgrade so I figured that I would use it in the jeep. If it helps it is two 10" rockford fosgate HEs with a p400 2 amp. I really didn't want to have to wire the whole thing.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I think wiring the whole thing is the right way to do it without risking the Jeep's electrical system. The Jeep is easy to run wire in, especially of what you need to do.
Good thought to use the factory harness, but not a good idea IMHO.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I don't really want to spend the money on something of such poor quality.
OE Sub is deff not poor quality... i have normal kicker L5s two 10s with 600watt RMS to them and this single 200watt rms sub is not much different and takes up much less space.... i have the OE bass turned down to 0 and 2 at most times, the box design is perfect for the sub

i think you could deff wire up a AMP to that harness that requires at least 20amp or less fuse... thats the stock size.. you can even use the two wires feeding the amp from OE to the line level inputs on an aftermarket amp that can use signal sensing as a turn on for the amp to make it even easier.. JL amps work great for this

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OE Sub is deff not poor quality... i have normal kicker L5s two 10s with 600watt RMS to them and this single 200watt rms sub is not much different and takes up much less space.... i have the OE bass turned down to 0 and 2 at most times, the box design is perfect for the sub

i think you could deff wire up a AMP to that harness that requires at least 20amp or less fuse... thats the stock size.. you can even use the two wires feeding the amp from OE to the line level inputs on an aftermarket amp that can use signal sensing as a turn on for the amp to make it even easier.. JL amps work great for this
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
419 Posts
My kicker sub is missing as well. Anyone know if all the SRT kickers (non-Jeep) use the same connector? I've seen other kickers on eBay cheep compared to ours.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
My kicker sub is missing as well. Anyone know if all the SRT kickers (non-Jeep) use the same connector? I've seen other kickers on eBay cheep compared to ours.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

The plugs should all be the same, you will just have to find a way to secure the box. The box for the jeep has a bracket that hooks to the back of the back seat.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
the aftermarket and OEM kicker subs are different in many ways. the material is not the same, the OEM sub actually has plugs for the wires instead of aftermarket terminals, and the magnet size on OEM is very small in comparison, plus the bolt holes wont line up... if your trying to replace the whole unit with aftermarket Kicker the box dims and designs are not the same but if you buy the OEM bracket and a box that is close maybe you could make something work but then your gona have to get into wiring issues and finding a place to store the amp, the OEM amp is a small digital unit inside the box, very efficient

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just bought mine and was thinking the same thing. The kicker for my rig didn't come with the car. The harness is there so I thought the two JL 10w3v2's I have would sound GREAT in a jeep.
I may sell that setup to purchase a stock SRT8 dual kicker.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The plugs should all be the same, you will just have to find a way to secure the box. The box for the jeep has a bracket that hooks to the back of the back seat.
I was considering this as well since Mopar discontinued all Kicker boxes for our rigs. I was looking at a dual setup for a liberty or patriot and hook up in the GC, but not sure about the dimensions of the box, or whether the harnesses are the same. I contacted numerous sellers about this, and have not gotten a response, probably to lazy to measure the box and/or take a pic of the harness. If anybody can confirm this please do so!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I was considering this as well since Mopar discontinued all Kicker boxes for our rigs. I was looking at a dual setup for a liberty or patriot and hook up in the GC, but not sure about the dimensions of the box, or whether the harnesses are the same. I contacted numerous sellers about this, and have not gotten a response, probably to lazy to measure the box and/or take a pic of the harness. If anybody can confirm this please do so!
the single box is not discontinued esp because it was a factory option they wont kill it cause they need warranty replacements

·
Registered
104 Posts
the single box is not discontinued esp because it was a factory option they wont kill it cause they need warranty replacements
I searched all over the net, can't find them anywhere, if the website shows instock i call and they all say the same thing. They don't have the item in stock and the item has been discontinued by mopar.

·
Registered
120 Posts
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_Kicker.htm

Single sub discountinued Nov. 2011.:(

If the SRT8 wiring can handle two, 200watt amps, how is the wiring not sufficient enough for a new aftermarket setup? I have very little audio knowledge, so maybe someone can explain.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_Kicker.htm

Single sub discountinued Nov. 2011.:(

If the SRT8 wiring can handle two, 200watt amps, how is the wiring not sufficient enough for a new aftermarket setup? I have very little audio knowledge, so maybe someone can explain.
I'm sure wkjeeps isn't all facts ;) just like wickepedia or however u spell it

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the wiring is deff different for the dual kicker sub upgrade.. you have to remember only the single sub was available from factory as an option, the dual sub kit has larger wiring or dual power wires with larger fuses I'm sure

1 - 20 of 22 Posts