Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Can I replace Just Rotor Disc?

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  pnut 
#1 ·
hey fellas
I have a 2017 and I just hit 35k miles, my front pads are completely toast and it’s time for me to replace them. I went ahead and ordered some Hawk performance ceramic pads as well as new caliper hardware. I was planning on just resurfacing the stock rotors however looking at the fronts it seems like I could technically just replace the disc from the 2 piece?

If not, have you resurfaced the stock rotors?

I was also considering 2 piece rotors from DBA..

#2 ·
Unfortunately with the factory equipped 2 piece front rotors, you’d have to buy 2 new rotors. Mopar doesn’t sell just the outer rings, and the OEM rotors are not cheap.

Racing brake makes a nice 2 piece kit for the front and rear of these rigs. Thankfully they sell just the outer rings when it’s time for rotors.

#3 ·
I’ve got RB rotors on all 4 corners and highly recommend them. My ‘17 came the 2-piece fronts which only lasted 15000 miles. Dealer wanted about $4k for ONLY the fronts… RB‘s were less than that for all four AND pads!

I don‘tknow about the WK2’s, but when I had my WK1, everyone said that the stock rotors came from the factory at minimum thickness, so resurfacing was a big no no.

If you’re low on cash, you can just replace the front 2-piece rotors with 1-piece rotors. You’ll probably save more than half the cost of the cost of 2-pieces

#4 ·
My full RB set has over 27k miles them, and they still have a ton of meat on the pads. The rotors look and feel just as good as they did 25k miles ago. Not to mention no brake dust!

#5 ·
I’ve got 25k miles on my RBs and like you, they look and feel GREAT! I don’t know if it’s marketing hype or not, but they recommend using only their pads with their rotors… they were designed to be used together. When the time comes, I’ll go by their recommendations.

#6 ·
hey fellas
I have a 2017 and I just hit 35k miles, my front pads are completely toast and it’s time for me to replace them. I went ahead and ordered some Hawk performance ceramic pads as well as new caliper hardware. I was planning on just resurfacing the stock rotors however looking at the fronts it seems like I could technically just replace the disc from the 2 piece?

If not, have you resurfaced the stock rotors?

I was also considering 2 piece rotors from DBA..
Like the DBa rotors

#10 ·
Found this info on another forum, which doesn’t surprise me at all:

Also talked to a guy who specializes in Brembo racing brake set ups. Apparently the reason no one can get a part number from Brembo is because Brembo is contractually bound to Chrysler not to release these rotors on the secondary market. IE, Chrysler trying to stick it to all of us.

I have spent WAY too much time delving into this instead of working today, but I also found out something else. The AC Delco part number for the CTS-V rotors is 177-145 Left and 177-1146 Right. Impossible to tell from the pictures, but it sure looks like these are the same rotors without the cooling slots. BUT, these rotors have curved cooling fins on the rotors versus the straight fins on the HC rotors. So it might be a wash. In any event, it would be interesting to order these and do some measuring. Again, judging from the pictures, they use the same hardware as HC cars. If they measured out correctly you could buy these, take them apart, toss the hats and remount the rotors on the HC hats.

And one final thing. The hardware Brembo uses to mount the rotors to the hats on the OEM brake systems is unique. It is different than the racing rotors and it not available anywhere! I looked for at least 2 hours trying to find and could not. Depending on who you ask, the torque spec on the nuts/bolts is either 62 or 112 inch pounds of torque. Considering that these are only little 5mm bolts, I think I would go with the 62 spec!
If you break one then it's not the end of the world. Any decent fastener house should be able to get you 10.9 grade socket head cap screws to replace them with. I am thinking of going this route with stainless fasteners.

#11 ·
Found this as well:

Kind of vague though, as they make it sound as if all the 2 piece brembos are the same. IIRC the trackhawks have 400mm fronts, where on the SRT they are 380mm

#12 ·
You really have to wonder, why does Chrysler make this so damn hard. Who in their right mind is going to pay a dealer $4k for a brake job. I love the car(s), have this brake situation facing me on a 15 Hellcat and the Jeep GC SRT. At first sight not knowing better the average guy says oh..thats smart only need to unbolt the rotors change them out and slip in pads...badda bing your done. But no, they make this so damn difficult. What they seem to fail to realize, people will find an alternative. Somebody should be fired, this is so stupid on so many levels. Just my two cents

#15 ·
Quick tip I mentioned in another thread about 2 piece rotors... before installing them on the car, get a paint marker and draw witness marks on all the bolts. That way, you can tell at a glance if they are loosening at all.

The back story to that was that I started getting a clunking noise from my front end. After checking all suspension parts, it turned out that the disc bolts had come loose. I contacted RB and they said to re-torque to 100-110 in/lbs. Each bolt only required less than an 1/8 of a turn. RB said that if the problem persisted, they would send me a new set of fasteners for free. Their self locking fasteners retail for $100-$200! I’ve put several thousand miles with the re-torque with no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.