Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a cam for Christmas, but I'm not sure how it would affect my ability to pass a California smog test. Can anyone tell me?

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Well Joe you wont have to get it smoged till 2016 and im sure the cam and cai will fail you as they neither have a carb sticker.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
I highly doubt you will pass. You will need a tune to go with that cam.

I passed inspection with a tune installed this year and last year. I have an FRI Sparrow with 113 LSA, my truck wont idle without a custom tune. I know I'm not in CA, but MA is one of the strictest states when it comes to emissions. If my idle in park didn't intermittently get choppy, you would never know I have a cam. A little boy or similar cam, with the idle bumped up a little......undetectable.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I passed inspection with a tune installed this year and last year. I have an FRI Sparrow with 113 LSA, my truck wont idle without a custom tune. I know I'm not in CA, but MA is one of the strictest states when it comes to emissions.
I think he meant I would need a custom tune specifically to pass emissions with a cam. That's really helpful info though, thank you. I was looking at Littleboys but I want some more lope so I think the SRT Max cam might be the way to go.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
I think he meant I would need a custom tune specifically to pass emissions with a cam. That's really helpful info though, thank you. I was looking at Littleboys but I want some more lope so I think the SRT Max cam might be the way to go.

I pass emmisions with the very same tune that I did my PB with, Johan just turns the rear O2 sensors on for me when I put the stock mid-pipe back on. Even a 426 or a 440 should pass, as long as the factory manifolds, mid-pipes w/stock cats, factory cat-back are in place. It wont get maximum performance, but it will pass emissions.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
This was Fred's (cyaZ06) Jeep. He had full stock exhaust with his SRT Max cam. I think he did this because he had to pass emissions in Maine, not sure though. FYI, that SRT Max cam didn't really start to perform well until he installed a 3000 stall converter.

Here is a video of me vs. Fred. In this video I have a 2800 stall with the stock cam and just about everything except headers, he has the SRT Max with stock converter and a ported intake. As you can see he passes me, but my ET and MPH were better. That cam has legs, it just needs a good boot in the azz to get going...

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
I pass emmisions with the very same tune that I did my PB with, Johan just turns the rear O2 sensors on for me when I put the stock mid-pipe back on. Even a 426 or a 440 should pass, as long as the factory manifolds, mid-pipes w/stock cats, factory cat-back are in place. It wont get maximum performance, but it will pass emissions.
Stang you have to remember this is CA which hjas the most strick smog laws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.