Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Should I buy it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I’m new to the forum and looking for help tomorrow I’m going to finalize the deal and make payment (14.5k) for a 2006 wk1 srt8 with 136,000 miles on it. I want to make sure I am paying a good price and that I’m not getting a problematic car and bad deal. Here’s everything I know about it. Any tips would be VERY appreciated. I am looking forward to this as this is a bit of a dream car of mine!! Just want to have as much knowledge on it as possible before I dive in. I have videos of me starting and running it. Overall it felt and drove pretty solid
Questions
-is it worth the money
-what would you personally pay?
-how much will I probably have to put into it to get it looking and running nice
Pros
-test drove it and runs great overall
-sounds great
-no visible fluid leaks
-clean title
-feels pretty solid and handles well
-more cosmetic issues then anything from what I can tell, no lights up on dashboard
-comes with tune
-3 overall owners but I checked carfax and the first owner only put 6k miles on it second owner put 124k miles
-current owner has had it for 4 years and only put 500 miles on it ( was a project car he never got around to)
-comes with a Paxton 1500 supercharger. I need to figure out if it works though as the current owner bought it off a forum and never used it.

cons
-a little slow to brake (come to stop)
-curb rash
-lots of discoloring/scratches/and paint chips
-bad curb rash on rear wheel
-slight vibration when flooring it or going fast
-horn gets stuck in sometimes and makes horn noise

-upholstery needs work
-feels a little under powered when I was driving it
-possibly needs suspension work
-probably needs all new fluids
-sat for a year
-front bumper needs netting on bottom
-probably needs new tires
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

-
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car Car seat cover

Light Automotive tire Wood Automotive design Gas

Vehicle registration plate Plant Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle

Shoe Automotive tire Light Asphalt Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello, I’m new to the forum and looking for help tomorrow I’m going to finalize the deal and make payment (14.5k) for a 2006 wk1 srt8 with 136,000 miles on it. I want to make sure I am paying a good price and that I’m not getting a problematic car and bad deal. Here’s everything I know about it. Any tips would be VERY appreciated. I am looking forward to this as this is a bit of a dream car of mine!! Just want to have as much knowledge on it as possible before I dive in. I have videos of me starting and running it. Overall it felt and drove pretty solid
Pros
-test drove it and runs great overall
-sounds great
-no visible fluid leaks
-clean title
-feels pretty solid and handles well
-more cosmetic issues then anything from what I can tell, no lights up on dashboard
-comes with tune
-3 overall owners but I checked carfax and the first owner only put 6k miles on it second owner put 124k miles
-current owner has had it for 4 years and only put 500 miles on it ( was a project car he never got around to)
-comes with a Paxton 1500 supercharger. I need to figure out if it works though as the current owner bought it off a forum and never used it.

cons
-a little slow to brake (come to stop)
-curb rash
-lots of discoloring/scratches/and paint chips
-bad curb rash on rear wheel
-slight vibration when flooring it or going fast
-horn gets stuck in sometimes and makes horn noise

-upholstery needs work
-feels a little under powered when I was driving it
-possibly needs suspension work
-probably needs all new fluids
-sat for a year
-front bumper needs netting on bottom
-probably needs new tires View attachment 232254
- View attachment 232258
View attachment 232256
View attachment 232257
View attachment 232255

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Check out this website. It was run by a former jeep insider who was very knowledgable:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The vibration issue could be the front diff bushing. There are 3 going across the front diff, and the one above the diff housing tends to go bad. You could replace with OEM, but it will eventually crap out again. A few sites sell replacements that have metal sleeves, so they don’t crush over time. You tend to feel the driveline more with these bushings though.

Also your shift knob looks like it’s out of a regular wk grand cherokee. Not a big deal to replace.

Adding the lower grill is a simple task as well. How is the condition of the underneath of the front bumper? I’d say the bumper was definitely repainted or replaced, as the 2006 models had a black agate center section around the grill/brake vents/fog lights. The push clips tend to pop out from hitting parking blocks and driveway aprins, which will cause the bottom to bow in the center. Also the 2 support arms that run from the frame tend to get bent out of shape from this as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vibration issue could be the front diff bushing. There are 3 going across the front diff, and the one above the diff housing tends to go bad. You could replace with OEM, but it will eventually crap out again. A few sites sell replacements that have metal sleeves, so they don’t crush over time. You tend to feel the driveline more with these bushings though.

Also your shift knob looks like it’s out of a regular wk grand cherokee. Not a big deal to replace.

Adding the lower grill is a simple task as well. How is the underneath of the bumper? The push clips tend to pop out, and the support arms tend to bend from hitting parking blocks and driveway aprins.

Adding the lower grill is a simple task as well. How is the underneath of the bumper? The push clips tend to pop out, and the support arms tend to bend from hitting parking blocks and driveway aprins.

Adding the lower grill is a simple task as well. How is the condition of the underneath of the front bumper? I’d say the bumper was definitely repainted or replaced, as the 2006 models had a black agate center section around the grill/brake vents/fog lights. The push clips tend to pop out from hitting parking blocks and driveway aprins, which will cause the bottom to bow in the center. Also the 2 support arms that run from the frame tend to get bent out of shape from this as well.
underneath it is scratched but looks okay. I didn’t. Look into detail enough for the support arms I’ll have to look tomorrow.

·
BlaBlaBla
5,367 Posts
10 k tops. I would start looking for at least an 07.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2quic4u

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you for all the information I’ll have to check underneath the front bumper tomorrow

·
BlaBlaBla
5,367 Posts
Appreciate it. 10k for a srt8 just seems impossible unless it has a rebuilt title though. But why am 07 vs the 06?
Looks like that Jeep is hit to me. Meaning not we’ll cared for. Your money. I didn’t forget about the supercharger. You want a project that $$$ just flies out the window on? Go ahead. I wouldn’t even think about it until that unit was rebuilt. Supporting stuff adds up quick.
06 vs 07. Stuff that’s already been mentioned plus the 06 doesn’t have auto stick. Meaning drop it in 1 and it automatically shifts at red line.
You would need to throw so much cash at that thing. It doesn’t even stop. Radiator? Water pump? Compression? Transmission? Does AWD work? Who knows. Shall I go on?
Now that I think about it offer him 8k.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Well sell off the Paxton.

2006 has some pluses via the electronics verses 2007

2006 has the older PCM/TCM electronics.
2007 was a big upgrade to faster can bus speed and MPC 5554 processor.
I've owned both.

2007 was my favorite...but 2006 was the only year for Inferno Red...which this is not.

Reactions: 2quic4u

·
Registered
172 Posts
Deals are out there.. 14 for that rough of shape is steep imo. I grab my 06 inferno red for 18k with 72k on it 6ish years ago. I wouldn't jump till your happy with the pick. If this is it then go for it, but there are way better deals out there.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Well sell off the Paxton.

2006 has some pluses via the electronics verses 2007

2006 has the older PCM/TCM electronics.
2007 was a big upgrade to faster can bus speed and MPC 5554 processor.
I've owned both.

2007 was my favorite...but 2006 was the only year for Inferno Red...which this is not.
I remember the biggest difference was the EGS52 TCM vs the EGS53, especially when they finally figured out how to adapt the mopar performance lx tcm into the jeep with the string file in the CROM for the predator. Man that brings me back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
‘07 has tip start, remote start standard with option group 1, different taillights, and the navigation group comes with a backup camera.
So I’m buying tomorrow for 13k with the supercharger we agreed on . Took it to stage 6 today they said that it’s pretty solid and the only main thing that needs to be replaced is the drive shaft which would be like 600ish $ maybe less. Aside from that it’s all minor cosmetics and then how much money I want to put into it to make it perfect ie making the breaks better or sound better. Making the interior nicer or whatever it may be but overall it’s solid and that I can’t go to wrong with the price although they told me to be careful as these are definitely money pits in general.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Stage 6 is a good shop. BJB had his Cherokee completed there.

And for a long term he was the fastest.
Last time I had dinner out with him on Woodward Ave at Moose Perserve we had a memorable evening.

Reactions: mondo

·
BlaBlaBla
5,367 Posts
Stage 6 is a good shop. BJB had his Cherokee completed there.

And for a long term he was the fastest.
Last time I had dinner out with him on Woodward Ave at Moose Perserve we had a memorable evening.
And he’s still as crabby as always!
Haven’t been to the Moose in awhile. They’re French onion soup is the best.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts