Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well before doing more research I went and bought the bully dog gt tuner. I see that everyone has trinity or predator. Can anyone tell me what the big difference is between the two and if one is honestly better than the other? I know Bully Dog gt is newer and to be honest im completely satisfied with the results. I could definately tell the difference in the tune. I have no current performance mods besides the tuner. Anyone have any comparison info?

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
You can't do custom tuning with the Bullydog. A custom tune will blow away ANY canned tune. I would at least datalog a run or two with the Bullydog if it's capable of doing so. It would be nice to see how much timing they're running and whatnot. They're not exactly HEMI experts. They're more diesel than anything.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I agree with Harrison.

·
Registered
792 Posts
+1^ on what they said. The Bull Dog is known better in the diesel world.
I have a predator and love it. The predator looks like a IT-83/TI-89 calculator and you can’t keep it hooked up in your car to data log but you can save costume tunes to it as well. I like that you can tune whenever. For example: every time I add something to truck I can take the predator hook it up and tune it with the new parts. Now, the only thing is that once it’s married to your car it only works in that car unless you send it in to get unmarried (so be careful if you get a used one). Now, talking to some of the guys and getting some more mods put in I’m looking at the trinity b/c it’s like your own little dino in the truck. You can run the trinity as you drive around, do data longing/ save your times, I think it also has like a track setting and you can simulate getting off the line (if I’m not mistaken), it also has gauges to pick from and you can pick the ones you like and display them on the screen, it’s also your own diagnostic code reader, works on more than one car, you can do a lot with it put it that way. If you want more info take a look at diablosport. But if you’re happy with your bully stick to what you have.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
You can hook the Predator up to your car to data log while driving & save files on it or hook it to a laptop also for data logging while driving. The laptop/Predator combo is the best choice. You just can't hook a wideband up to also like with the Trinity.

Jim

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The new intune will allow you to connect a wideband but you'll need to connect it to a laptop to do any real logging. Also, the intune is powered off USB, the predator needs to plugged into your Jeep or a separate power supply.

·
Registered
792 Posts
No way??? I didnt know that.....Thats good to know I might have to try that out. How would the laptop thing work. What cords do I need for that? Thanks Jim

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
No way??? I didnt know that.....Thats good to know I might have to try that out. How would the laptop thing work. What cords do I need for that? Thanks Jim
Serial to USB adapter. You connect it to your laptop and log via Dataviewer. You'll need to setup a dashboard to log all the PIDs you wan to see. There is a generic one but may not have everything your tuner wants or more than they want.
Also, general note....selecting too many PIDs will lessen the accuracy of the data somewhat....not a huge amount but something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Not bad to know, I’ll look into this. So it’s not jeep to predator to laptop its jeep to laptop and being viewed on dataviewer?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Not bad to know, I’ll look into this. So it’s not jeep to predator to laptop its jeep to laptop and being viewed on dataviewer?
connect the predator to the jeep and the predator to the computer to datalog. The predator plays middleman...

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Or you can just get a Trinity and log on it and download it to you laptop or watch it on the Trinity.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so make sure I got this right. With the diablo, I can send my mods list to a someone like ( Johan ) for instance, and he could make a tune for me and my vehicle? Cause I always thought I'd have to somehow get my vehicle to their shop.... I'd like to see what the actual difference would be between the two tuners. I can do basically everything the diablo does except for the adding of mods in the tune. One cool feature is that you can change the display of the bully dog. They have one that matches the exact colors of the gauges in the jeep. I know that's not what you buy it for but none the less, cool. I also love the fact you can save your times on it. Such S 0-60, 1/4', 1/8, 0-60 distance, etc. and pull it up right then and there.

·
Registered
792 Posts
That’s right. You can talk to him and he will be able to answer questions on what other things he needs from you, but yes, send him a list of mods you have and he does his magic sends you something back. You download the tune to the tuner and upload it to the truck. But again he’ll tell you what you have to do.
So you have the 400 or the 410 bully?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a Gt bully dog. That's all I know. Il have to look at the paperwork to see if it's one or the other. I've always heard that bully dog has the best tuners as far as diesels go. So I figured when they went to gas, they probably wouldn't ruin it. But I really want a custom tune done to exactly what I have. I'm gonna eventually switch to a trinity I guess. What do those tunes usually cost from Johan? On average?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Send Johan a message. I sent one and got a response within the hour. He’s good about getting back to his customers. Whats on your jeep now?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bone stock! Lol just the bully dog tuner is all I have. But I will be adding a Borla-s, CAI, and a 90mm TB within the next few months. And of course the trinity very soon. It's a frekin disease!!! I can't stop lol!! Should I wait to get all of that before I get him to create the tune?

·
Registered
792 Posts
It is a disease man....who you telling lol. I would say hold off till you have all your parts but That's just me. You can go ahead and get his tune put in your truck now with no mods but u need the trinity (if that's what your getting) right away. Then once you get your parts you can contact him back and u let him know what you got. Now, that's why I say hold off on it because if you know your getting all that put in with in a few days of each other save yourself some time and maybe some money. That way it will all be done at the same time.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool, that's what I'll do. I will post some results from my burly dog within the next few days. I have results with the tune saved but no stock results saved. It's raining bad in Houston so when it dries up ill post it on here. Thanks for the help guys. I'm a newb to this stuff, but it sure is nice having people who know what they are talking about help. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts