Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After modding a custy car for a year or so, I threw in the towel and just bought the damn thing I loved it so much. Current mods are vortech kit, upgraded 255HP pump, 80# injectors (have them, not in yet), corsa cat back, BB Fully Built trans (not just the NAG1 kit, full built version), jonah tune.

I want to finish out the car to be bullet proof, so wondering on the next weak point in the driveline. I'm stuck on what to do about the transfer case and rear end. I plan to pully down to the next level (8lbs of boost) and add a meth kit. At the time of the trans, Builder Bill said the stock TC "should" be ok, but stay up on the fluid changes. But for the fact that I will be daily driving this thing, I am thinking of being preemptive and going for the upgraded TC. Here are my questions / options:

1) Leave it all as is, keep up on fluids

2) Remove TC motor and front driveshaft, upgrade rear w/ wavetrac, therefore having a stout posi 2wd setup. I will run the AWD just during winter months.

3) Just do the built TC from BB

I track the car a few times a year, prob 40-50 passes.

Help? I want the most cost effective way to keep this thing on the road and not fail on me.

· Registered
4,269 Posts
I would keep up on fluid changes with the stock TC and keep racing it until the TC fails. When it eventually breaks buy an upgraded TC.
Make sure to change the fluids in the rear diff + front diff also!

I thought I had a strong setup with a built trans, built TC, and now a built rear end. But there will always be another weak link if you beat on the Jeep all the time. I am not very easy on my Jeep... Never will be easy on my Jeep. But this breaks things... Once you get a Jeep with this much power its hard to keep it 100% reliable. So IDK if its possible to have a fully "bulletproof" Jeep unless you go back to N/A.

You have a great start though! A vortech and built tans makes for a great setup and will give you tons of fun!

IMO the most reliable setup you "could" have would be to pull the TC motor and go RWD with a built rear diff. Then go AWD in the winter. This would probably give you the least amount of problems. If you run AWD all the time and beat on the Jeep something will break eventually. But this is less fun! I love the AWD system on my Jeep. :)

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx SCAM, read your rear end thread. Do you think letting the abuse run to the rear diff and putting it in 2wd will be a safer way to run it? Or just let it go as is?

I tried really hard to find a cross ref on the mopar fluid but couldnt find anything, guess its the only choice? Even at my cost its pricey.

· Registered
11,229 Posts
Hey Steff abuses he's truck , he doesn't drive it hard , he simply beast on it he he , I have the Vortech and a Bill tranny kit and so far is going strong , I also make a nice amount of power as well . I look at it this way , I'll replace something once it breaks :)

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Yeah the fluids are definitely pricey!
I think running 2WD will give you a more solid setup. And you will be able to do big burn outs at the track, heat up the tires good, then launch VERY hard. Which is great for the track.

Personally I would run it AWD and be ready to upgrade the TC. If you take care of the rear and front diffs they should not break. Of course I was not so lucky... If you go RWD you will be sliding around all over the place and those rear tires will be worn out in no time.

I wouldnt go replacing things that arent broken because you want it to be bulletproof. I would just upgrade parts when they break.

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey Steff abuses he's truck , he doesn't drive it hard , he simply beast on it he he , I have the Vortech and a Bill tranny kit and so far is going strong , I also make a nice amount of power as well . I look at it this way , I'll replace something once it breaks :)

still stock bottom? What other power mods you have? Id love to clip some low 11's before building the engine.

· Registered
4,269 Posts
You know damn well Im not one of those guys who takes it easy on the Jeep! But I drive slow when im in my prius... :worried:

I spend too much money on that Jeep to drive slow, or try and get good MPGs.. lol

Ooh... 1 more piece of advice. Dont hot lap! This is probably why I broke the rear diff. I have literally made 8-10 passes in a row without shutting off the engine. (I was trouble shooting!! ) I later found out that hot laps are a bad idea if you want to protect the driveline.

· Registered
11,229 Posts
still stock bottom? What other power mods you have? Id love to clip some low 11's before building the engine.
Yes still the original motor , I added a CAM/ PORTED Manifold and headers . With good tuning and boost low 11's are no issues imo .

· Registered
802 Posts
Change the transfer case fluid if you want it to live.
Stop changing it when it looks clear to a SLIGHT discolor.
You may need to do it every 5000 miles for 2-3 changes.

The next problem areas:
* Driveshaft
* axles
* pinion gear

Don't hotlap and expect good results.
Bill
On that note (and not to swipe your thread OP), this might be a dumb question, but what do we have in the way of driveshafts? You do some work with The Driveshaft Shop for Lxs, no?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.