Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 with 65,000 miles starting skipping and threw a code this weekend. Took to my local shop and they called me with bad news. Broken lifter on # 2 cylinder and a wiped cam lobe. Is this a known problem with these?

·
Contributing Member
4,539 Posts
Those little bastards are not cheap either. Great time to upgrade, or take the cam Viking(Tim) is offering and stick with a stock set up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 09 with 65,000 miles starting skipping and threw a code this weekend. Took to my local shop and they called me with bad news. Broken lifter on # 2 cylinder and a wiped cam lobe. Is this a known problem with these?
You can use this bad situation to turn positive if you had modifications on the list already.
Those engines respond well to a CNC head, camshaft and header package.
Should net you 60-100 HP camshaft aggressiveness dependent.
The labor is already being handled at this point already by the sounds of it.

Take a look at the damage to the lifter and camshaft and determine if the engine needs to be torn down for inspection.(hopefully a piece of the lifter isn't embedded into a piston skirt or engine bearing to cause a future failure.)
If you do tear it all the way down, again an opportunity to install some better/different components.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advise guys!

·
Registered
740 Posts
i had a similar failure. it sucks for sure. and like said above, possible that some metal could be some where else. mine might be rebuilt also because of this. waiting for the oil pump to be pulled off and the pan to be dropped. at least have one or two main bearings checked.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My wife's 2015 has a tick that the dealership tried to tell her is the injectors and ohh its the "hemi tick" I thought it was too at first but now I think its a lifter. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak. The dealership even brought around another SRT jeep to prove it was in her head but that backfired because you could hear hers ticking over the other jeep. They want us to leave it there but the dealer goes "Well we've never had to pull apart an SRT engine before" Uhh what? Why would I let you work on it then?! Anyone else had a 6.4 with a failed lifter?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts