Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep... I did it.

Right when I got my Jeep back with a new built transmission and transfercase... and smaller pulley, stage 6 fuel hat, cutout turndown tips, pt-tuning vacuum manifold, completed rear cross member with new transmission mounts.. and a few other small things.

I got the fuel dialed in with the new tune. After I knew the tuning was good to go I let her rip. Pulled up to a stop sign, put it in "1" (left the traction control on...) and mashed the gas. It did a GREAT 0-70 pull. Felt perfect, smooth and no grinding noises from my trans/TC. Then I let off the gas and hit the brakes a little. This is when I felt the insane grinding. The Jeep was pretty much un-drivable... I guess I COULD have drove it somewhere but if I did my rear end would have been destroyed.
As SOON as I heard / felt that grinding I parked the Jeep and called my buddies who helped me out and trailered it to the shop (big thanks to my buddies who came to help me out). Then we cracked open the rear diff.. I snapped the pinion that holds together the gears in the rear end.

If I would have kept driving, that broken pinion could have come dislodged and loose in my rear diff. This would have been BAD! I would have need a complete new rear end if this happened...Not to mention the possibility of my rear diff locking up and possibly causing an accident. Good thing I tailored it!

Time for a Wavetrac LSD! I am pretty excited to tear it up in the snow when I get my Jeep back! :D Oh and very excited to cut lower 60ft times also! :D

I have to give out a few thanks:
1. Stage 6 - Damn right that fuel hat works! MY jeep was FLYING for the 2 days I had it. LOL
2. Paramount performance - the new driveline worked great. Of course I will be putting it through more of a test once I get my Jeep back. But I can tell already, the noises that my TC used to make has stopped. No weird rubbing noises from the TC anymore!
3. Bwoody - Of course ;) Mike drove to the shop at 9:30pm after they were closed. Just to personally be there when my Jeep gets dropped off and pull my Jeep into the garage. Thanks again Mike.
4. Maximillion - Paulo your the man. Thanks for spending so much of your time to get my problems worked out and answer all of my dumb questions. Seriously I appreciate it bro.
5. AF Maniac - Brian gave me a free Jeep part (a while back) Thanks for the PT Tuning vacuum manifold! I told you I would install it one day ;)
6. SRT-Jake - Jake hooked me up and let me borrow the pulley I needed until I can get the new one. (I will give you the pulley back soon! shouldn't be much longer..)
And last!
7. The Dark Side - My buddies came through when I needed help. They got a friend to trailer my Jeep to Bwoody right away.

I have gotten SO MUCH help from all of you guys. I really appreciate all of the support I get from the Jeep world. I guess I owe a big thanks to cherokeefourms as well for getting me connected with so many great guys.

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Johnny! Shouldnt be long. I ordered the Wavetrac today. It will ship out either today or tomorrow. Should be here by the end of this week. Then I will be good to go. (I hope) lol

· Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
Well time to hit up Skip @ Demon Performance and get in on that Group buy bro! I guess it was a matter of time before you blew the thing up then:D

· PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Damn that sucks, but like you say it could have been much worse. That Wavetrac is gonna be fun for sure. I would also have to agree with you about the guys on here, there is a whole bunch of them that have problem dropping what they are doing to help a forum member/brother out.

Jim

· Has Been
8,532 Posts
Damn that really sucks, terrible timing lol. Did you get any pictures of what your rear end looks like?

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha^ lol

I got a video of it :)
Saw it in person.. It's definitely broken.

I heard the noises it was making. We put it on a lift (all 4 wheels off the ground) and let the wheels spin a little bit. I could hear the noise loud as hell coming from the rear diff. Then we opened it up and it we found the broken pinion. And The fluid was covered in metal... Fluid looked so bad.

· Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Reactions: DCSpecial

· Has Been
8,532 Posts

· Vendor
5,596 Posts
Lol, this thread went from a "thanks so much to everyone" thread to a "don't be checking out my bottom" thread...:p

Glad you're getting it all back together soon Steffan, you should see the LSD and shim kit late in the week, possibly early next week. After all, it is MLKJ day...

Skip

· Premium Member
17,169 Posts
Glad to hear you WERE up and running.:lol: Sorry about the bad luck though.:( Throw that Wavetrac in there and let it rip bud. Wish u well on a speedy recovery!!

Reactions: SCAM

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone!

Of course I forgot to write a thanks to Skip at DemonPerformance for giving me a great deal on the Wavetrac and getting my order together quickly!

Once Skip has his way with my rear end it will be all good to go! :p

· Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hahahah

But seriously... This is the most expensive rear end Ive ever paid for! :D

· Registered
11,229 Posts
Thanks for the kind of words Scam , but hey man you are the biggest pain in my a$$ Period hahahahahah JK Man , hit me up anytime .

Reactions: SCAM

· Premium Member
7,299 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.