Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Apparently I hit the right thread. I have the peeling as well in the front 2 calipers. Rear look like new, but front not so much. I heard that either heat, chips or acidic dust from original pads to this. I told dealer about the issue, they said they will put inquiry to the Chrysler and see what happens. I'm already thinking they're going to deny me. If that's the case, I'll wash each caliper with dish soap and clear cloat it with hi-temp again, that should last me another few years. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Mine are also peeling..... dang. Happy to see I'm not alone though.

Sent from my SM-N930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Still under warranty. Great read and I'm going to take mine in now

Sent from my SM-N930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
So, just came from the dealer, they told me Chrysler denied to replace the calipers due to clear coat peeling. I kinda knew it was going to happen, calipers are 6k if they were to replace it. I'm not even going to waste anymore time on this. Calipers are going to get washer and coated with hi-temp clear coat, as well as pads replaced to eliminate most of the brake dust from original pads. UHG, so much dust from them.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
So, just came from the dealer, they told me Chrysler denied to replace the calipers due to clear coat peeling. I kinda knew it was going to happen, calipers are 6k if they were to replace it. I'm not even going to waste anymore time on this. Calipers are going to get washer and coated with hi-temp clear coat, as well as pads replaced to eliminate most of the brake dust from original pads. UHG, so much dust from them.

6k? is that USD?

because I'm a 100% positive that's not right.

A complete set of Calipers is less than $1500 brand new from Mopar.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
That's bunk. Was just going to take my jeep in too. Are you under factory warranty still or aftermarket Chrysler one? One person on here said theirs was covered under warranty

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's bunk. Was just going to take my jeep in too. Are you under factory warranty still or aftermarket Chrysler one? One person on here said theirs was covered under warranty

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm still under factory 3yr/36k. Either the dealer didn't want to mess with it or it was actually denied. She didn't say why it was denied when I asked her. I can dispute this with Chrysler directly, but I just don't have time for this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
6k? is that USD?

because I'm a 100% positive that's not right.

A complete set of Calipers is less than $1500 brand new from Mopar.
Yeah, it's USD. That doesn't look right, I agree. I guess they included everything in the price to replace them. I don't believe anything that the dealer says anymore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I want to do everything I can to prevent this, I'm going to remove my wheels and put on some nano coating on them to help. Also want to replace all four pads to a pad that doesn't spray dust like the stock ones do.

Who can recommend a pad that does a good job of limiting the dust?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I literally wash my wheels, inside and out, including calipers, 2-3 times per week.

Crazy....obsessive.....OCD....maybe. Actually...likely. But that's ok. It makes me happy and hopefully it will help.

If not, I spent a lot of wasted money on wheel cleaner.

And no, I don't have that much free time. I have it down to a science. 4 min per wheel. I even wear a headlight so I can get it done at night if need be. I can't believe I just revealed that.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah the ultimate heat upgrade would be some nice RB 2 piecers but, ultimately, this is my daily driver and the friggin salt here is brutal on aluminum and those screws and retainers...I have seen a few examples of 2 pc year-rounders and they look fuggly over time....
Man I didn't even think of this - I have been looking at a 2017 with 15k miles on it but its an import from Canada so no factory warranty from what I understand. I live in Buffalo NY and this would be my daily. With all these issues I'm reading about I think I have to walk away knowing I can't even go to Chrysler for any help. If it has the 2 piece rotors can you replace them with the standard ones?

The more I read about these the more I feel like I should stay away.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Yes, u can use 1 pc srt spec rotors too...if the 2 piece look ok, run em til shot...imho, esp for use as DD up north, 2 piece don't make sense for a non-track dog...the cost to replace just the rotor ring is equal/more than top notch 1 pc rotors so there is no truth to the "only have to replace the Ring" cost myth...yes they weigh less, have less heat transfer, more consistent braking under repeated hard braking (ie track) but its a nothing burger for a DD...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrMannilow

·
Registered
4 Posts
@GoPlzGo - Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that I wasn't going to be stuck with the 2 piece rotors due to the corrosion. I spec'ed the price of the rings and man I am truly in shock of how much the brakes cost for this thing either 2 piece or 1 piece! I do appreciate the direction!

All I have to compare is my 370Z with the sport wheels and sport brakes...it stops on a dime. However it also sits in storage 7 months of the year so corrosion is a non issue. After driving the SRT I am beyond impressed how well the weight it just a non issue in both the acceleration and braking department, however at what I am seeing now is a monumental cost in both directions lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Man I didn't even think of this - I have been looking at a 2017 with 15k miles on it but its an import from Canada so no factory warranty from what I understand. I live in Buffalo NY and this would be my daily. With all these issues I'm reading about I think I have to walk away knowing I can't even go to Chrysler for any help. If it has the 2 piece rotors can you replace them with the standard ones?

Yes, u can use 1 pc srt spec rotors too...if the 2 piece look ok, run em til shot...imho, esp for use as DD up north, 2 piece don't make sense for a non-track dog...the cost to replace just the rotor ring is equal/more than top notch 1 pc rotors so there is no truth to the "only have to replace the Ring" cost myth...yes they weigh less, have less heat transfer, more consistent braking under repeated hard braking (ie track) but its a nothing burger for a DD...

I am considering purchasing the 2-piece Demon Performance rotors for all 4 corners and my SRT is my DD. I live in Kansas where salt/sand is used in the winter months, but have not heard of corrosion issues with the 2-piece rotors until now. I want to replace my stock rotors because there is rust forming around the hubs an if I repaint them, the rust will just return in a matter of time. Is the corrosion worse on the OEM 2 pieces than say the Demon Performance set? Does anyone have any experience or pics of them with corrosion?

I don’t want to spend that kind of $ to only have them look like crap in only a matter of a few years.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts

I am considering purchasing the 2-piece Demon Performance rotors for all 4 corners and my SRT is my DD. I live in Kansas where salt/sand is used in the winter months, but have not heard of corrosion issues with the 2-piece rotors until now. I want to replace my stock rotors because there is rust forming around the hubs an if I repaint them, the rust will just return in a matter of time. Is the corrosion worse on the OEM 2 pieces than say the Demon Performance set? Does anyone have any experience or pics of them with corrosion?

I don’t want to spend that kind of $ to only have them look like crap in only a matter of a few years.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update on this : I sent the dealer an email asking this morning what a brake job would be on the vehicle. He told me $1000 - I am very hesitant to believe this as the cheapest I could find the 1pc rotors were around $400 each and the front pads close to $400 as well...what do you guys think? I asked them to forward a copy of the quote from the service dept.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Update on this : I sent the dealer an email asking this morning what a brake job would be on the vehicle. He told me $1000 - I am very hesitant to believe this as the cheapest I could find the 1pc rotors were around $400 each and the front pads close to $400 as well...what do you guys think? I asked them to forward a copy of the quote from the service dept.
hmm, yeah, suspicion is in order with those numbers.....now if they were quoting street prices and not list for just the fronts with OEM SRT rotors/pads that's roughly correct but they rarely quote street numbers....he may very well have been quoting regular, non_SRT too....

"ish" prices for OEM SRT (BR4 brakes):

FRONTS:

Rotors...05181513AD 1 gets 1 wheel, $305 list/$210 street
Pads...68303052AA 1 gets both wheels, $480 list/$340 street

Total FRONTS $1,090 list/$760 street

^Install extra^

REARS:

Rotors...05181512AC 1 gets 1 wheel, $290 list/$205 street
Pads...68144432AA 1 gets both wheels, $305 list/$215 street

Total REARS $885 list/$625 street

^Install extra^

TOTAL FRONTS and REARS $1,975 list/$1,385 street

Install labor "range" for no-issues rotors/pads all 4 corners $200-500 depending upon their "stealership" rating. :surprise:

Many opt for aftermarket for better cost/dust equation and/or DIY preference. I went with DBA 4000 T3 slotted rotors and Wagner Thermoquiet pads for about $850 delivered all for corners, DIY install...

Reactions: xJoshxx

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts