Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just FYI this is not a unique problem to Jeep SRT Brembos - I know that bubbling/flaking Brembo clearcoat has been a problem going back to the 2003 Mitsubishi Evo and all subsequent Evos among others.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Just FYI this is not a unique problem to Jeep SRT Brembos - I know that bubbling/flaking Brembo clearcoat has been a problem going back to the 2003 Mitsubishi Evo and all subsequent Evos among others.
Subaru STI's have same issue my 04 gold clear flaking

·
Registered
5 Posts
No luck with the dealership. They said that it's not a part malfunction, it's just paint. I showed them the evidence @doyle shared with me and the answer given was "he probably had a friend at the dealer that approved that, but its not suppose to". Sucks! Now I have to do the job myself.*

·
Registered
191 Posts
Less than 20,000 miles and mine started to do it

I'm past the brake warranty at 12,000 miles, do you think I would get anywhere taking it into the dealership?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Less than 20,000 miles and mine started to do it

I'm past the brake warranty at 12,000 miles, do you think I would get anywhere taking it into the dealership?
That is more of a paint issue than a brake/performance/wear item.

I have several breaks in my paint (from calipers getting banged around during a hellacious pad change). No clearcoat peeling, but probably a matter of time now...

Reactions: Heep and GoPlzGo

·
Registered
191 Posts
That is more of a paint issue than a brake/performance/wear item.

I have several breaks in my paint (from calipers getting banged around during a hellacious pad change). No clearcoat peeling, but probably a matter of time now...
That's what I would think, paint vs. Brake issue. I hate my dealership so I haven't decided what to do yet

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's what I would think, paint vs. Brake issue. I hate my dealership so I haven't decided what to do yet
Go to a different dealer, even if it means a longer drive.

Reactions: Heep

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Less than 20,000 miles and mine started to do it...I'm past the brake warranty at 12,000 miles, do you think I would get anywhere taking it into the dealership?
I agree with Nitemare3219. Paint/finish issue and covered for 3yr/36 mos.....buuut....is that (yellow arrow) a ding or chip I see? Looks like a small one to me and it's location would easily support a "no" because the peel started there, and most importantly, because of the external impact. Chip the clear and it can be off to the races. Rocks (and tools :crying:) hit wheels and calipers and they know it.

While dealers hold no special place in my heart, they are generally not in the "no" business especially since they get paid for "yes". There are some pretty stupid ("no") dealers, business-wise, but the smart ones love warranty work....the problem is pretty well defined, solution completely documented and they get paid book labor times....the challenge is the dealer is not the yes/no decision-maker. The receiver of their digital pics is so they learn real quick what they say no to and "external" factors are the first hoop to jump through for any finish (or corrosion) claims since in all honesty it's not fair for them to pay for rock chips per se...

just as a stake in the ground on what "they" can hang us on:

3.2 Environmental Factors Not Covered

Your warranties don’t cover damage caused by environmental factors such as airborne fallout, bird droppings, insect damage, chemicals, tree sap, salt, ocean spray, acid rain, and road hazards. Nor do your warranties cover damage caused by hailstorms, windstorms, tornadoes, sandstorms, lightning, floods, and earthquakes. Your warranties do not cover conditions resulting from anything impacting the vehicle. This includes cracks and chips in glass, scratches and chips in painted surfaces, or damage from collision.

Nitemare3219, the above also applies to your '**** impact on your nice wiz-bang carbo-ceramo-fibro chin spoiler thingy in case you thought you had a warranty claim! :grin2: ouch:crying: PS, I almost knocked the spots off Bambi this morning....close call

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree with Nitemare3219. Paint/finish issue and covered for 3yr/36 mos.....buuut....is that (yellow arrow) a ding or chip I see? Looks like a small one to me and it's location would easily support a "no" because the peel started there, and most importantly, because of the external impact. Chip the clear and it can be off to the races. Rocks (and tools :crying:) hit wheels and calipers and they know it.

While dealers hold no special place in my heart, they are generally not in the "no" business especially since they get paid for "yes". There are some pretty stupid ("no") dealers, business-wise, but the smart ones love warranty work....the problem is pretty well defined, solution completely documented and they get paid book labor times....the challenge is the dealer is not the yes/no decision-maker. The receiver of their digital pics is so they learn real quick what they say no to and "external" factors are the first hoop to jump through for any finish (or corrosion) claims since in all honesty it's not fair for them to pay for rock chips per se...

just as a stake in the ground on what "they" can hang us on:

3.2 Environmental Factors Not Covered

Your warranties don’t cover damage caused by environmental factors such as airborne fallout, bird droppings, insect damage, chemicals, tree sap, salt, ocean spray, acid rain, and road hazards. Nor do your warranties cover damage caused by hailstorms, windstorms, tornadoes, sandstorms, lightning, floods, and earthquakes. Your warranties do not cover conditions resulting from anything impacting the vehicle. This includes cracks and chips in glass, scratches and chips in painted surfaces, or damage from collision.

Nitemare3219, the above also applies to your '**** impact on your nice wiz-bang carbo-ceramo-fibro chin spoiler thingy in case you thought you had a warranty claim! :grin2: ouch:crying: PS, I almost knocked the spots off Bambi this morning....close call
Great post, thank you. It could very well be ding, I didn't look as closely as you.

Are these not powder coated? Then cleared over? I'm half tempted not to bother with it. Let it run its course and then decide what to do, upgrade brakes or just have my brembos rebuilt and powder-coated

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Great post, thank you. It could very well be ding, I didn't look as closely as you.

Are these not powder coated? Then cleared over? I'm half tempted not to bother with it. Let it run its course and then decide what to do, upgrade brakes or just have my brembos rebuilt and powder-coated
TTBOMK, all Brembos are hi-temp paint with hi-temp clear over. Here are the official Race Tech/Brembo USA "repainting" instructions....note they say no powder coating....technically they obviously know their own product as powder coating technically retains more heat than a proper hi-temp paint and since their stuff often see dual street/track duty they have to play it safe...many folk powder coat their brembos for a diff color or when rebuilding them...powder coating is fine for street use (<200 deg ish) and is tougher than paint (good for street) but poorer at super hi-temps on track day 300 deg+...if you powder coat you really need to strip them which means a rebuild kit to do it right so now you are into some dough...

Repainting of Calipers | Race Technologies | Brembo Official Partner

Personally, I would take a stab at a "I love warranty work" dealer as you might get lucky...worst they can do is send you packing...

·
Registered
191 Posts
TTBOMK, all Brembos are hi-temp paint with hi-temp clear over. Here are the official Race Tech/Brembo USA "repainting" instructions....note they say no powder coating....technically they obviously know their own product as powder coating technically retains more heat than a proper hi-temp paint and since their stuff often see dual street/track duty they have to play it safe...many folk powder coat their brembos for a diff color or when rebuilding them...powder coating is fine for street use (<200 deg ish) and is tougher than paint (good for street) but poorer at super hi-temps on track day 300 deg+...if you powder coat you really need to strip them which means a rebuild kit to do it right so now you are into some dough...

Repainting of Calipers | Race Technologies | Brembo Official Partner

Personally, I would take a stab at a "I love warranty work" dealer as you might get lucky...worst they can do is send you packing...
Good to know thanks, I'll go check out the link.
I think I would like to upgrade my brakes down the road, they fade really bad really quickly at high speeds. It actually surprises me how fast they fade. Don't judge me, but I went over 130 mph yesterday, I didn't even slam on the brakes, but I stepped on them pretty hard. I felt bad fade before one second had even passed.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Good to know thanks, I'll go check out the link.
I think I would like to upgrade my brakes down the road, they fade really bad really quickly at high speeds. It actually surprises me how fast they fade. Don't judge me, but I went over 130 mph yesterday, I didn't even slam on the brakes, but I stepped on them pretty hard. I felt bad fade before one second had even passed.
I hear ya, these brakes are awesome for normal "spirited" street use...but who does "spirited"? I want "hooligan" :grin2:...Apparently you do too...:wink2:

I had decent fade on a 3/8 mile short track when I was out one night in July playing with the locals >:)...SRT stock rotors for 16+ are slotted and they obviously did it for a reason...likely to reduce heat/fade over the solid discs we have so that's my next upgrade, thinking Brembo Sport Slotted...personally, I feel the 6/4 piston calipers and large disc size are the right spec and great for 75%+ of SRT drivers but a better matched pad/rotor combo is in order for us 25%.....:laugh:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I hear ya, these brakes are awesome for normal "spirited" street use...but who does "spirited"? I want "hooligan" :grin2:...Apparently you do too...:wink2:

I had decent fade on a 3/8 mile short track when I was out one night in July playing with the locals >:)...SRT stock rotors for 16+ are slotted and they obviously did it for a reason...likely to reduce heat/fade over the solid discs we have so that's my next upgrade, thinking Brembo Sport Slotted...personally, I feel the 6/4 piston calipers and large disc size are the right spec and great for 75%+ of SRT drivers but a better matched pad/rotor combo is in order for us 25%.....
Haha quite right

Mine have the updated "slotted" rotors to correct brake squeal but it definitely isn't effective in heat dissipation LOL (no surprise)

You are right, they are amazing for day to day spirited driving. I think I would for me, consider a two piece slotted rotor and pad upgrade. I hate the brake dust, I refuse to trade performance for less dust. I will try to keep up and get your opinion on the Brembo Sport Slotted rotors.

I need to stop going 130 mph anyway haha! Someone told me the clear coat issue might be from me getting my calipers too hot LOL

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Yeah the ultimate heat upgrade would be some nice RB 2 piecers but, ultimately, this is my daily driver and the friggin salt here is brutal on aluminum and those screws and retainers...I have seen a few examples of 2 pc year-rounders and they look fuggly over time....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah the ultimate heat upgrade would be some nice RB 2 piecers but, ultimately, this is my daily driver and the friggin salt here is brutal on aluminum and those screws and retainers...I have seen a few examples of 2 pc year-rounders and they look fuggly over time....
Oh great point. Thanks for that

21 - 40 of 61 Posts