Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm having a slightly annoying problem with my Jeep, and I was hoping to get some insight on it. This may have been answered in previous posts before, but I couldn't find anything directly relating to my problem.

At 14,000 miles, the brakes would SCREAM the first time I would hit the brakes, and everytime after they were silent. For example, I start up the Jeep, warm it up, reverse, and back out of the garage. When I tap the brakes to slow it down, they sound like metal on metal, just screaming. After that, they're quiet.

At 17,000 miles, I installed Posi Quiet Ceramic brake pads, and it reduced the brake dust, and eliminated the squeak, under any and every condition. Now today, at 17,500 miles, the scream is back. It's so loud, it can be heard from about 3 blocks away. Same conditions, the first time I use the brake for that specific driving period, it screams. The second time, and there on out I hit the brakes, they're silent.

What the heck is it? The brakes are stock, except for the pads.

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
have you applied brake grease to the backs of the pads? specifically where the piston meets the shim/pad.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you applied brake grease to the backs of the pads? specifically where the piston meets the shim/pad.
I have not. You mean inside the rotor, those 2 circle pistons that come out and press against the back of the pads?

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
yes. there should be a thin piece of metal (shim) as well. i put brake grease on that just in case and between the piston and the shim.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Very common issue. My squeal seems to be temp and humidity dependent. I usually park in the garage, but if I leave the Jeep in the driveway and it is humid or cool (temps in the 50-70), the first stop sounds like a locomotive trying to avoid a bus full of orphans.

I usually use the parking brake backing out of the drive way and hit them hard for the first stop. This stops the neighbors from jumping out their windows.

I have replaced the rotors with R1 drilled/slotted and the pads with Satisfied Pro Ceramics. I have carefully bedded, cleaned, lubed, used the orange goo on the backs of the pads, but the squeal always returns. Curse of performance brakes...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes. there should be a thin piece of metal (shim) as well. i put brake grease on that just in case and between the piston and the shim.
Is that known to cure my problem? Is this problem somewhat "common"?

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
i dont have a squeaking problem and thats what i did. i have R1 Drilled and slotted rotors with Hawk pads. no complaints here and this is my daily driver.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very common issue. My squeal seems to be temp and humidity dependent. I usually park in the garage, but if I leave the Jeep in the driveway and it is humid or cool (temps in the 50-70), the first stop sounds like a locomotive trying to avoid a bus full of orphans.
I usually use the parking brake backing out of the drive way and hit them hard for the first stop. This stops the neighbors from jumping out their windows.

I have replaced the rotors with R1 drilled/slotted and the pads with Satisfied Pro Ceramics. I have carefully bedded, cleaned, lubed, used the orange goo on the backs of the pads, but the squeal always returns. Curse of performance brakes...
Yep! Exactly! I live in Florida, so there's always humidity and moisture regardless where I park. So basically, it is what it is, "just deal with it the best you can" kind of thing?

gerd35, I'll try brake grease. It's simple enough, may as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i've had the same problem but i'm used to it due to owning a SRT ram and having the same issue. after surfing the viper truck forum i came to the conclusion that it's just something i'll have to deal with with these brakes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
although i didn't have any problems with my SRT Challenger so i'll go to ceramic pads after these wear out and hope for the best

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
The reason the noise keeps coming back is becuase after most bed-in their brakes they go back to braking like they are driving a vehicle with non performance brakes. I have never had squealing issues and I have used many different pads and rotors. I have even not put on the anti squeal to test for myself. Braking harder is your solution. Keep the pads warm.

Reactions: GlockSRT8

·
Registered
139 Posts
Braking harder is your solution. Keep the pads warm
This is so true! On my Charger SRT8 in the past....I did the slotted rotor warranty change and then the R-1 rotors. Always squealed because I would brake like granny. Now on the Jeep, I brake hard and keep the pads warm and have no issues on the stock rotors. I re-bedded the pads in when I bought it as the previous owner barely drove the vehicle.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I swear, this is not normal. I hard brake the first time to warm the pads, and someone this weekend said it sounded like an 18 wheeler coming to a hard stop. It's embarrassing, especially when people give me compliments on it, like it's the baddest vehicle they've ever seen, then when I go to take off, "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEL".

I'm getting very frustrated with this. I do not want to take it to the dealer for a BS answer, does anyone have ANYTHING that can shine some light on this?

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
If they are squealing when you are taking off you have some other issue. Are you sure your pads are good and not down to the wear indicators?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If they are squealing when you are taking off you have some other issue. Are you sure your pads are good and not down to the wear indicators?
It does it when the vehicle hasn't been driven for an extended period of time (few hours, minimum). Everytime. I just changed the pads to Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic. They squeak went away for about a week, then came back. It did it with the OEM pads, and it's doing it with the new pads. It's driving me insane.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
It does it when the vehicle hasn't been driven for an extended period of time (few hours, minimum). Everytime. I just changed the pads to Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic. They squeak went away for about a week, then came back. It did it with the OEM pads, and it's doing it with the new pads. It's driving me insane.
I would suggest putting more anti squeal on the pads and also the pins. Also, just because you heat your pads up once, its not going to keep them hot. We have brake ducts for cooling and the less you use them the less they are hot. Brake differently.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would suggest putting more anti squeal on the pads and also the pins. Also, just because you heat your pads up once, its not going to keep them hot. We have brake ducts for cooling and the less you use them the less they are hot. Brake differently.
Ok, thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had that problem when I fitted new brakes, It is small particles of brake dust that has collected inside your calipers causing your brakes to squeel. Get an air line to your calipers and blow the dust out. This will cure your squeeling brakes... Airlines can be found at any garage..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you.

I think my chief problem was, when I installed the new ceramic pads on my already used rotors, I only went out and did 3-4 quick stops, as it was raining outside. The box also said "No bedding in required", but I did a few quick stops anyway.

After contacting Zeckhausen Racing where I bought the pads from, he sent me a detailed bedding in process, and since the scream was coming from the rear brakes, he recommended to 2 sets of the bedding in process, since the rears are harder to heat up. Last night, between cool downs, I did 2 sets. Overall, I did about 20-22 hard, smoking panic stops without activating ABS, from 60mph to 10mph, not coming to a complete stop, then driving a few miles the cool the brakes back down.

This morning, no scream. My other remedy for it, was to pump the brakes a few times before taking off, in case the caliper was getting stuck. I did not use any brake grease when installing the new pads, so if the caliper is getting stuck, I assume some brake grease on the pistons, and blowing out any dust left over in the caliper housing, will solve it 100%.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts