Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my '08 GC SRT8 a couple weeks ago. I recently noticed a squealing sound coming from the wheels when going around tight turns at low speeds - like through a drive-thru at a fast food joint. I then noticed I could hear it even after straightening the wheel. Note this is on the gas, not touching the brakes at all. So... I take it into the shop and they tell me the pads are completely shot. Like paper thin. Also, the rotors are not wearing evenly.

Bottom line - I need new pads and rotors. Not surprising since the Jeep has 43K and I'm guessing they have never been done. So I call up R1 Concepts and get a set of premium cross-drilled and slotted rotors and Stoptech pads on order. (I've been using the Search feature people, don't tell me I ain't!) Big Thanks to Steven at R1concepts! He was awesome to deal with and they have great prices for the forum guys.

Today, coming home from work, I was cruising at 45 mph with the windows half open and I could hear the squealing! My question is... Is that normal to hear this noise when the brakes are shot? Could it hurt to drive the vehicle until I can get these new rotors and pads on? What do you think could be causing the squealing?

Again, this is just rolling or slightly on throttle, not when braking. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
My guess is that since the pads are shot, it's the wear indicators on the pads that are rubbing on the rotor. They're there to draw your attention to the problem. In your case, they've done their job. You still have brakes but it will be an annoyance until you replace the pads & rotors. I don't think you'll hurt anything in the meantime. If it really bothers you, bend the indicators back so they don't rub until you take delivery of your new parts.

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
i had the same problem, got new brakes and rotors and it fixed it. it was very loud, once the change was made it was all good.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
My guess is that since the pads are shot, it's the wear indicators on the pads that are rubbing on the rotor. They're there to draw your attention to the problem. In your case, they've done their job. You still have brakes but it will be an annoyance until you replace the pads & rotors. I don't think you'll hurt anything in the meantime. If it really bothers you, bend the indicators back so they don't rub until you take delivery of your new parts.
I'd agree with this. Probably the wear indicators making the noise. Won't damage anything except your ears lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
I'd agree with this. Probably the wear indicators making the noise. Won't damage anything except your ears lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
If he keeps driving the Jeep like that then those indicators will dig into the rotor....

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
If he keeps driving the Jeep like that then those indicators will dig into the rotor....
He has new pads and rotors on order. So I don't think it'll matter.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, thanks for the responses guys. This is pretty much what I thought but wanted confirmation.

To be honest, I had been extremely impressed with the braking power of the Jeep before I found out the pads were gone. I'm looking forward to getting the new parts on. This might qualify as the first mod...

I've already changed front and rear diff. fluid and transfer case fluid. Had engine oil changed the other day with some Royal Purple. First time I've run Royal Purple and I really like the stuff. I can actually tell a little difference.

Any other maintenance issues I should address as the new owner of a used SRT8???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.