Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, doing pads and rotors today and I managed to complete the job 3/4's of the way. While doing my front passenger side, the inner pistons both stayed stuck out after I pushed on the outer pistons. So I remove the caliper and try pressing them back in and they won't budge. So I press the brake pedal a few times and crack the bleeder valve. Then like an animal I press on one of the inner pistons a little too stongly and the other inner piston popped right out! So after saying every curse I could think off, I decide to walk away and ask for help, before I make things worse.

Long story short huh lol... Anyway, what are my options now as far as fixing this and getting my rig back on the road?

Thanks in advance fellas!

·
Administrator
5,880 Posts
Probably best at this point to rebuild your calipers. Both of our brake vendors are selling the kits now and it seems to me it's the inside pistons that are going bad first. The kits aren't exactly cheap, but they're a lot cheaper than new calipers.

Bernie

·
Registered
317 Posts
You're going to have to rebuild the caliper. On a 4 piston setup like ours you really want to use the proper tool. I use a snapon one but there are cheaper options. another way is to use an old brake pad and a c-clamp or channel lock wrench and use it to push the pistons in. Make sure you use something like a wrag or tape up the wrench so you don't damage the surface of the caliper.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I used a 15" stanley wonder-bar and small pry-bar against one another's backsides to do the job on all four corners of the vehicle. Worked flawlessly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.