Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like so many others I had the bad brake squeal. :boohoo:
I found the answers in this forum and I know there's a lot of other people looking for a solution so I will sumarise what worked on my rig.

-R1 concept rotors drilled and slotted
-Cadillac cts-v rear pads (forget the year and part no. It's on the forum just look)
OEM jeep brembo front pads - ya that's right
Loctite brake quiet liquid compound applied between the back of the pads and the shims.

That's it.

First off I would like to thank builder bill for reminding us in a post that nothing stops as hard as OEM jeep brembo pads, the fronts don't squeak. So if your looking for a cheap solution like $100 front pads that will compromise braking power that's not what I did. The caddilac pads have been a topic in this forum and a lot of people seemed confused about if they should buy OEM caddilac pads or another brand. Well I bought OEM caddilac from the dealer. They are brembo and I want a quiet brake that has STOP. The R1 concept drilled and slotted rotors have been identified as an awesome rotor and it is, plus it looks great. I think that the OEM rotors are of a shitty material and combined with the rear OEM rear pads cause the squeaking. However just to note for research purposes I put in the pads First and did not change the rotors, I drove for 2000km before I put my rotors on and they did not squeak once. In my opinion the drilled holes and slots may change the possible harmonics of any high pitched vibrations come out as the shreek sound, but this is just my opinion.

Now I used this Loctite brake quiet liquid compound which again was identified in this forum as something that worked. From what I can see it's basically a compound that glues the shim to the pad and provides a damping effect. It dries very sticky and there won't be any vibration / harmonic squeal between the brake pad and the brake shim. Now someone may say that this is hiding a problem or that it would mask another problem with what I put on my rig. The thing is it costs less than 5 bucks for the compound and it makes sense to me.

So now after 6000km driving I still haven't heard a single squeak. My braking power is awesome. No compromise.
The rotors look much better than OEM.
Yes this wasn't the cheap route, I don't think anyone likes paying the nearly 500 bucks for front OEM brembo pads but if they are good enough for builder bills jeep they are what I want.
You may be able to get away with running stock rotors but I went with new R1 concept rotors.
The Loctite brake quite compound is good.
Use OEM caddilac pads for the squeaky rears.

Fixed long term.

Thanks to all the others that figured this stuff out so I could solve my squeaky brakes the first try.

Frank. :D:D

· Registered
820 Posts
Thank you Frank. My squeaky brakes were driving me crazy today.
Just something I've started noticing lately, they squeak a lot less on cloudy, cooler days.
Don't know why.

· Premium Member
102 Posts
Hey Frank,

I am at a point where my front OEM brakes are squeaking like crazy. I wanted to summarize what you have stated above, just so I am on the page with as you and things are crystal clear. Are you saying that you used the below combo OR for the OEM brakes you just applied “quiet liquid compound” and this has fixed the problem?

• R1 concept rotors drilled and slotted
• Cadillac cts-v rear pads (forget the year and part no. It's on the forum just look)
• OEM jeep brembo front pads - ya that's right
• Loctite brake quiet liquid compound applied between the back of the pads and the shims.

Reactions: Toby

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi, sorry this took a while for me to update.

I used all of those things, the combo. What I did at first however is I put the new brembo pads with the old stock rotors and used the Loctite brake quiet liquid and the noise had stopped. So what that means is that MAYBE you can get away with using the OEM rotors. I've heard that other people thought the OEM rotors caused noise problems so I changed them too because I was just that sick of it.

By the way, its now 2 years of driving and I still don't hear a peep. It still feels like yesterday how embarrassing that shreek was.

also the part number for the Cadillac rear brembo pads is Part#089047744
That's for the 06 Cadillac cts-V.

Good luck to you all. I don't know if this is the only way to solve this problem. Maybe there are some cheaper pads out there but all I can say is that this combo never ever squeaks on me for 2 years.

· Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I guess I was just lucky. I never had any issues with brake noise ever. Granted I never move over to slotted rotors.

· Registered
7 Posts
So like so many others I had the bad brake squeal. :boohoo:
I found the answers in this forum and I know there's a lot of other people looking for a solution so I will sumarise what worked on my rig.

-R1 concept rotors drilled and slotted
-Cadillac cts-v rear pads (forget the year and part no. It's on the forum just look)
OEM jeep brembo front pads - ya that's right
Loctite brake quiet liquid compound applied between the back of the pads and the shims.

That's it.

First off I would like to thank builder bill for reminding us in a post that nothing stops as hard as OEM jeep brembo pads, the fronts don't squeak. So if your looking for a cheap solution like $100 front pads that will compromise braking power that's not what I did. The caddilac pads have been a topic in this forum and a lot of people seemed confused about if they should buy OEM caddilac pads or another brand. Well I bought OEM caddilac from the dealer. They are brembo and I want a quiet brake that has STOP. The R1 concept drilled and slotted rotors have been identified as an awesome rotor and it is, plus it looks great. I think that the OEM rotors are of a shitty material and combined with the rear OEM rear pads cause the squeaking. However just to note for research purposes I put in the pads First and did not change the rotors, I drove for 2000km before I put my rotors on and they did not squeak once. In my opinion the drilled holes and slots may change the possible harmonics of any high pitched vibrations come out as the shreek sound, but this is just my opinion.

Now I used this Loctite brake quiet liquid compound which again was identified in this forum as something that worked. From what I can see it's basically a compound that glues the shim to the pad and provides a damping effect. It dries very sticky and there won't be any vibration / harmonic squeal between the brake pad and the brake shim. Now someone may say that this is hiding a problem or that it would mask another problem with what I put on my rig. The thing is it costs less than 5 bucks for the compound and it makes sense to me.

So now after 6000km driving I still haven't heard a single squeak. My braking power is awesome. No compromise.
The rotors look much better than OEM.
Yes this wasn't the cheap route, I don't think anyone likes paying the nearly 500 bucks for front OEM brembo pads but if they are good enough for builder bills jeep they are what I want.
You may be able to get away with running stock rotors but I went with new R1 concept rotors.
The Loctite brake quite compound is good.
Use OEM caddilac pads for the squeaky rears.

Fixed long term.

Thanks to all the others that figured this stuff out so I could solve my squeaky brakes the first try.

Frank. :D:D
Followed this and others advice on this forum; switched to the R1's drilled and slotted, not a single PEEP since😁😁😁It was outright embarrassing driving with that loud unearthly screech every time I braked at a stoplight or corner. I can't tell you how much of a relief it has been NOT hearing that squeal (I can still hear that shit in my sleep🥴😖😣

· Registered
7 Posts
Followed this and others advice on this forum; switched to the R1's drilled and slotted, not a single PEEP since😁😁😁It was outright embarrassing driving with that loud unearthly screech every time I braked at a stoplight or corner. I can't tell you how much of a relief it has been NOT hearing that squeal (I can still hear that shit in my sleep🥴😖😣
Update
Welp, that was short-lived--took about two and half days after install, damn squeal came back:mad::mad::mad:Not nearly as loud and as frequent as before, but still SQUEALING!!!!!!! R1 drilled & slotted, R1 semi metallic brake pads--they look good, but still....Funny thing is the receptionist at the shop I had the work done owns a Jeep GC Laredo; she said her brakes squeal too, she just turns the music up so she won't hear it. Her boyfriend (one of the mechanics) said all Mopar vehicles have that problem--Chargers, Hellcats, srt's--all of have the squealing brake problem. Said he hasn't seen one yet that hasn't experienced this & most likely mine will continue to squeal because of the pads (I thought he was B.S'n). He suggested I go with something called Carbon ceramic pads or something; once I wear these new ones down I'll go with either that or just upgrade my sound system like ole girl

· Registered
7 Posts
Update
Welp, that was short-lived--took about two and half days after install, damn squeal came back:mad::mad::mad:Not nearly as loud and as frequent as before, but still SQUEALING!!!!!!! R1 drilled & slotted, R1 semi metallic brake pads--they look good, but still....Funny thing is the receptionist at the shop I had the work done owns a Jeep GC Laredo; she said her brakes squeal too, she just turns the music up so she won't hear it. Her boyfriend (one of the mechanics) said all Mopar vehicles have that problem--Chargers, Hellcats, srt's--all of have the squealing brake problem. Said he hasn't seen one yet that hasn't experienced this & most likely mine will continue to squeal because of the pads (I thought he was B.S'n). He suggested I go with something called Carbon ceramic pads or something; once I wear these new ones down I'll go with either that or just upgrade my sound system like ole girl
Update to The Update
I think I jumped the gun, expecting things too quickly; I should have given proper drive time to work the brakes in....Fast forward some decent mileage, I hear NOTHING!! I mean, I purposely lower my window on stops to see if it still actually squeals--nothing. The rotors already looked good, and now no more high pitch scream. Very pleased now; Thank you all who've endorsed this product and put them on yall rides...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts