Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any tips on removing the awful brake dust these Brembos generate? I have the 5 ten style wheels and I swear the brake dust has literally baked itself on to the wheels in some corners. I've tried the iron remover and wheel cleaners but none really break this down. I'm thinking of using a small polishing pad wheel on a Dremel with some sort of mild cleaner. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I’ve used Sonax wheel cleaner with decent results. I found a cheaper at Pep Boys made by Surf Surf City Garage that is very similar to Sonax,but almost half the price. Some people have had good experiences with ceramic coatings too. In the end though, your best bet is changing out the pads!

·
Registered
92 Posts
First I’d change your pads, I have powerstop Z26 pads on mine and have zero dust and honestly I have not noticed a decrease in stopping power. Now for the cleaning, it’s going to take a bit of elbow grease. I use a wool mitt and dawn dish soap for wheels then absolutely ceramic coat them and future cleaning will be very easy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve used Sonax wheel cleaner with decent results. I found a cheaper at Pep Boys made by Surf Surf City Garage that is very similar to Sonax,but almost half the price. Some people have had good experiences with ceramic coatings too. In the end though, your best bet is changing out the pads!
Thanks, I'll try the Sonax product. I was going to coat the wheels, just not until they are clean :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First I’d change your pads, I have powerstop Z26 pads on mine and have zero dust and honestly I have not noticed a decrease in stopping power. Now for the cleaning, it’s going to take a bit of elbow grease. I use a wool mitt and dawn dish soap for wheels then absolutely ceramic coat them and future cleaning will be very easy
Noted. I just may go the route of new pads soon just because I'm tired of the mess. I've had Powerstop products in the past and for the price, was very happy with how well they work.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep SRT8. Stock. Used buy in 2020 @61,000 mi. Brilliant black crystal pearl
24 Posts
I use meguires wheel cleaner. It’s a concentrate so a jug should last a minute. Purple in color. It is safe for any finish and can even be used as a bug removal asset to the front end too. It melts my dust off really well. I do notice tho that the dust will stain your tire sidewall pretty good. I generously coat the entire thing and use a regular wheel brush and a detail brush to dig into the lug holes. Then to eliminate the tire stains after I hit it with the cleaner, I take a different detail brush and “paint” tire shine on from a non aerosol bottle. This lets you control how much is getting on the tire and prevents slinging it all over the place.
On the topic of wheels…..mine are peeling very badly. 5-10’s In gunmetal. I’m entertaining the idea of powder coating but I see someone said this is ceramic??? Just curious so I know what to expect later and also if anyone else has the peeling issue.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I believe the CERAMIC someone was referring to was an aftermarket detail product, not factory applied. If your wheels are flaking, I highly recommend powder coating. I have the 5-10s too, but mine came in the brushed aluminum finish. I was lucky enough to find a local company called CalChrome that dones chrome plating and powder coating. They also do mail order business. One nice service they offer is a WHEEL EXCHANGE program. IF they have your wheels in stock, they can coat them to your liking and ship them to you. When they arrive, you swap out the wheels and send your wheels back. This can avoid any down time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sonax or Adams wheel cleaner is expensive but does a great job dissolving the dust. A cheaper alternative is Meguire's All Wheel and Tire cleaner which you can fin at any Walmart or parts store. Get a good cone shaped wheel brush or a set of wheel woolies for getting in all those tight spaces.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sonax or Adams wheel cleaner is expensive but does a great job dissolving the dust. A cheaper alternative is Meguire's All Wheel and Tire cleaner which you can fin at any Walmart or parts store. Get a good cone shaped wheel brush or a set of wheel woolies for getting in all those tight spaces.
Thanks. I picked up some sonax to try this weekend.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Just make sure the wheels and brakes are cool and not in the sun when you use any of these products

·
Registered
2014 Jeep SRT8. Stock. Used buy in 2020 @61,000 mi. Brilliant black crystal pearl
24 Posts
pretty sure you can use mr. clean magic erasers on wheels, theres a picture of a wheel on the box; those bad boys take off anything!!
Funny you mention that. My brother in law and I were just talking about them and the multiple things they are good for. An added bonus is that you really can’t damage anything with it by trying because it’s not really an active chemical your applying. I’m not sure if you can combine that with a solvent or not so if you don’t want a science experiment I’d try one or the other… just my brain.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I happen to have a few magic erasures. Never thought to try it on the wheels but I'll give it a go too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure on how to get your wheels clean but I do know of a way to keep it from coming back….

R1 concepts for the win!

Geomet rotors with their ceramic pads, installed over a year ago. No brake dust on my wheels and no rust on my rotors.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure on how to get your wheels clean but I do know of a way to keep it from coming back…. View attachment 230787
R1 concepts for the win!

Geomet rotors with their ceramic pads, installed over a year ago. No brake dust on my wheels and no rust on my rotors.
View attachment 230788
Yeah I bought some power stop pads. Rotors are pretty new so no need to replace them. I'm tired of the dust.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I had an idea...what about steam? I picked up this handheld steamer and tested it out. Works quite well to be honest. For the crud that is really baked on, this is a good solution for someone trying to clean the wheels if cleaners don't work. You can get into tight spots with this too which is convenient. Highly recommended for wheels!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice job JLinn, but why didn’t your ride come with SRT center caps!?!?!
You know, I was wondering that too. I bought it used with clean history but I’m not sure what happened before I got it or if it just came that way originally. It was completely stock when I got it and pretty much all others I’ve seen have the SRT centers.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
A guy I know bought a TRACKHAWK and it came with JEEP caps too!?!?!? I guess they just slap on whatever they have at the factory that day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts