Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a dull area on one of my front brake calipers today. I thought it was some dirt or residue, so I tried to wipe it off. that didn’t work and I noticed red residue of the cloth I used to wipe with!

Are the calipers clear coated? I’m thinking that the clear coat possibly came off, exposing the red paint. I’m hoping I can just buff and polish the dull areas and possibly rattle can some clear coat over the damaged areas. What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I notice a dull area on one of my front brake calipers today.
If you own a WK2 why is this still happening? Yes they are clear coated.Same thing happened to my WK1, easy fix is to sand it down lightly and spray a couple of clear coats to it. Easy fix.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I think I’ll go with B5’s advice and just clear spot treat it myself. The other three still look good, but if they get bad, then I’ll powder coat them all at the same time

·
Registered
307 Posts
B5, any recommendations on a clear spray?
Any rattle can of clear coat will work, but I went to my local body shop supply store where all the body shop's get there supplies. Might be a little better quality then the local auto parts store?

·
Registered
11 Posts
They are clear coated but it is horrible. Very common to peel. I had mine powder coated
I’ve been refinishing most of my life and along with being PPG master certified, I don’t kno of any paint that’s gonna hold up to that heat.. definitely needs powder coating to hold up..

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased some DupliColor High Temp clear... do you think it will work? It’s made for painting engine part and is rated for 500f. I don’t do any road racing, just some spirited driving every once in a while. I’ll give it a try and report back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only advise for something like a quick fix is jus make sure you take your time no matter what product u use. Feather the flake places as best you can and clean with alcohol pro-sol and grease and wax remover . Dust a light coat on the area that is missing clear coat first and see how it reacts . Let it tack, then cover a larger area, if not the whole caliper, put it on how you want it to look.. but remember take your time. it will pay off..

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. Thankfully, the wear is only on a small area on the front drivers side caliper. the area is still red, only dull or ashy looking and is about 3”x1”. I was going to buff it up with some polishing compound, then hit it with clear!?!?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts