Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have never posted before.. please be gentle. I have a Jeep GC SRT 2019, took in for service at 30K km (18k miles) and the dealership service dept told me I needed new front brakes (rotors and pads) and to 'service' the rear brakes, for $3800 CDN installed. I thought this was a bit ridiculous, so I started to investigate other alternatives. Ended up changing front and rear pads only, myself, with EBC yellowstuff pads; couldn't believe the rotors would be shot already, I drive fast in the city but not crazy aggressive.

The EBC yellowstuff pads squeak and squeal like crazy!!! Super annoying. Now I've read about their slow break in process, approximately 200 miles slow and easy and then do the several 60mph to 10 mph hard stops to complete the bed in. I'm only 65 miles after the pad change but I'm starting to wonder if I should have changed the rotors too. I know the yellowstuff has the superficial abrasive coating that takes time to clean up the old rotor surface. The sound seems to be coming mostly from the rear of the vehicle. The left rear may have some very mild grooves and the outer and inner rotor edges have some lipping, so I'm wondering if the pads may not be sitting right, it still takes time for them to adapt? Funny thing is there is no squeal in reverse and it seems to take a few hundred yards to squeal after a cold start when braking. They can squeal at very low speeds too, so you would think abrasive coating vs grooves no?

So do I need to be more patient and let the yellowstuff do their thing and wait until the bed in procedure or do I need to bite the bullet and get new rotors too? New Powerstop Z26 rotors and pads are only $900 and new EBC rotors only are $1100. It's hard to be patient when the squeal is so bad everyone turns their heads at you because it's so loud!! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have never posted before.. please be gentle. I have a Jeep GC SRT 2019, took in for service at 30K km (18k miles) and the dealership service dept told me I needed new front brakes (rotors and pads) and to 'service' the rear brakes, for $3800 CDN installed. I thought this was a bit ridiculous, so I started to investigate other alternatives. Ended up changing front and rear pads only, myself, with EBC yellowstuff pads; couldn't believe the rotors would be shot already, I drive fast in the city but not crazy aggressive.

The EBC yellowstuff pads squeak and squeal like crazy!!! Super annoying. Now I've read about their slow break in process, approximately 200 miles slow and easy and then do the several 60mph to 10 mph hard stops to complete the bed in. I'm only 65 miles after the pad change but I'm starting to wonder if I should have changed the rotors too. I know the yellowstuff has the superficial abrasive coating that takes time to clean up the old rotor surface. The sound seems to be coming mostly from the rear of the vehicle. The left rear may have some very mild grooves and the outer and inner rotor edges have some lipping, so I'm wondering if the pads may not be sitting right, it still takes time for them to adapt? Funny thing is there is no squeal in reverse and it seems to take a few hundred yards to squeal after a cold start when braking. They can squeal at very low speeds too, so you would think abrasive coating vs grooves no?

So do I need to be more patient and let the yellowstuff do their thing and wait until the bed in procedure or do I need to bite the bullet and get new rotors too? New Powerstop Z26 rotors and pads are only $900 and new EBC rotors only are $1100. It's hard to be patient when the squeal is so bad everyone turns their heads at you because it's so loud!! Thanks in advance.
Before you go crazy think it through.
My 2020 GC SRT with 8k miles was getting all the brake dust in the world.
I swapped the front pads with Power Stop (Z23-1405) from Evolution.
Cannot be happier, really low dust, can't notice it. ZERO noise, braking power difference unnoticeable.
$60 at Amazon.
No way replacing the rotors can cost you more than $600 if you do it yourself.
That's all four rotors and pads... and its pretty strange you need to replace rotors with that mileage.

·
Super Moderator
11,006 Posts
Yellow Stuff pads are for racing. That pad needs to get hot and stay that way before it shuts up

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hi, I can recommend the Power stop pads Z26-1053 via Amazon. You can check a good article https://motoringcrunch.com/ for Power Stop Brakes. I have changed mine and never looked back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts