Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 19 SRT, looking to improve the sound and my preference is the Borla S Type. Their website shows the axle backs for 2012-14 but reading around it sounds like it should still work on a 2019. Can anyone confirm that? If so, what is the install like?

·
Registered
32 Posts
It works fine. Just need to measure and cut. Its very easy but I found the Atak axle back wasn't loud enough and after a month switched to a full cat back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It was pretty significant. Cat back is still quiet enough to not notice when just cruising around. It works on both ends of the spectrum.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
the axel back was designed for ‘15 and older models, the cat back for 16 and newer. I assume the delivery back setup is to avoid messing with the flapper valves in the older models. id think that the cat back would be louder on the newer models since it also replaces the suitcase.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the axel back was designed for ‘15 and older models, the cat back for 16 and newer. I assume the delivery back setup is to avoid messing with the flapper valves in the older models. id think that the cat back would be louder on the newer models since it also replaces the suitcase.
I had it on a 19. In my opinion it wasn't loud.

·
Registered
110 Posts
oh really, is the sound difference between axle back and cat back big?
The centrally mounted 'suitcase' is the muffler. The 2 cans near the exit are resonators; a resonator is tuned to remove a couple of harsh frequencies and perhaps enhance a few 'good' frequencies. Hence, muffler replacement results in the loudest sounds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you have kids or people riding in back seat, don't do cat back, you will get drone at highway speed. Alot of people don't tell you this because they ride alone and in front all the time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Axle back fits all models but uses a weld in the 2014 and earlier flapper valves as a reference to cut the pipe. 2015+ no weld but its easly done, or find a 2014- to measure from. had both on my 15. Axle back is great till you hear a full atak cat back. once you do you will want one. it pops gurgles and roars at much better level but can be so quiet if you tame the right foot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have Borla Attack Axel Backs on my GC 2012 SRT8, for over 3 years, No Drone at all. Also... just for fun... I also installed Remote Controled Exhaust Cut Outs up front ! So when i want to REALLY Increase AIr Flow (and disregard noise ordanances) I can ! LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
The centrally mounted 'suitcase' is the muffler. The 2 cans near the exit are resonators; a resonator is tuned to remove a couple of harsh frequencies and perhaps enhance a few 'good' frequencies. Hence, muffler replacement results in the loudest sounds.
If you look on the Mopar Store Website, it list two mufflers, left & Right, with tail pipe. Then it list one Resonator. It’s confusing to everyone because they sell them together as one unit for $2,000.00 dollars. I once had a exhaust back pressure code and the dealership ordered the entire system, which came in a wooden crate the size of a small car. Luckily for me they found the real cause for the code and I didn’t have to spend $2,000.00 dollars.
Also, if you Study Auto Mechanic at a Technical Institute, they Teach the purpose of a Resonator is to counter the Power Stroke frequency of each cylinder to avoid the booming sound. Therefore it has to be as close as possible to the engine to be effective. However, people in the industry use the terms interchangeably. Here’s a YouTube video that tries to explain the difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2015 Borla Atak is cat-back. I’ve had mine for 40k miles and sounds awesome - big difference over stock and the axle back Atak. My friend has a 14 with axle back and it’s not close in sound. I just converted to a 426 stroker and was already procharged. Paired Kooks headers and high flow mid pipes and it’s deafening on hard acceleration! Love it!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The suitcase is a 2 sided straight through glasspack type muffler
as is the back resonator.
I have a Corsa on my Supercharged C5 Vette that I really like.
Quiet on cruise and part throttle and loud on WOT.
I also have muffler bypass cutouts that make it 10db louder.

I tried the Corsa catback on my 2014 SRT that replaces the suitcase but I'm older :(:LOL: and it was way too loud for me.

No drone but a pretty loud WOO on part throttle.
I broke a ring land SC the 392 and replaced it with a forged Arrington 426 with a Comp cam and SW Long tubes.
Somehow this combination with the stock exhaust was as quiet as a mouse.
Tried my Corsa rear mufflers but they weren't much better.
So I ran some ATAK tailpipes and am happy with that.
It's still louder than my Trackhawk :cool:
I suppose I could run my Corsa mid pipe mufflers that replace the suitcase but loud grew old on me quickly now.

Also at one time before the 426 I did a rear muffler bypass with some Badlanz ebay 2.75 exhaust cutouts.
If I was to do it again I'd get the stainless ones.
US made and come with a 5 year warranty but 1 of mine died before a year was up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What ever page you looked at is incorrect,feel free to consult a muffler shop. 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Exhaust System Exhaust Components Parts | Mopar Estores
Dude, it’s really not that serious... no need to fight.
The web store you sent confirms what I said. Item #7 points to the Muffler AND the pipe, which is connected to the Resonator. The entire system, after the Catalytic Converters, is sold as the Resonator for $2,045.00 dollars. They’re all welded together. You can’t buy them separately. My dealership order one for my 2014 Jeep SRT, and it came in a huge wooden crate, about 10 feet long by 5 feet wide.
If you study Automotive Engineering, they’ll teach you that Resonators are designed to provide Resonance for the Engine Power-Stroke Frequencies, and must be as close as possible to the frequencies (Engine) they’re resonating.
They’ll also teach you that Mufflers are designed to muffle (deadening) the sound of the engine and must be as far away as possible from the source (engine) to be effective. Sound waves lose their intensity over distance, so the further away the muffler is from the source, the less restrictive they can be. That’s because the sound waves are less intensified by the time they arrived at the muffler. The less restrictive mufflers can be, the more scavenging is available within the exhaust system, which normally means more power.

Like I said, most people use those two terms interchangeably... you can call them whatever you want.
On the Jeep SRT, you can’t buy either the Resonator or Mufflers separately. And if you want to change either one, you’ll need a pipe saw to cut them out of the system.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dude, it’s really not that serious... no need to fight.
The web store you sent confirms what I said. Item #7 points to the Muffler AND the pipe,
Facts aren't fighting. And, #7 points to a pipe and the rear 'can' and is labeled "resonator". Plus, you can find threads where the center muffler has been cut apart and it's internal components are those of a muffler not a resonator. If you reply with anything other than an apology then I know you're a troll.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Facts aren't fighting. And, #7 points to a pipe and the rear 'can' and is labeled "resonator". Plus, you can find threads where the center muffler has been cut apart and it's internal components are those of a muffler not a resonator. If you reply with anything other than an apology then I know you're a troll.
No need for apologies and name calling... that’s teenage girls stuff.
Grown men have discussions to articulate their points-of-view.

So, is it your contention that item #7 is the “can” (as you stated) and a pipe that cost $2,025.00 dollars?? If so, where’s the price for the center unit and the other “can” (as you called it)? There is none. When you order item #7, you get a huge wooden crate with the entire system. The right side muffler is packed on top in its own cut-out foam. And the left side muffler is attached (welded) via 2.5” pipe to the Resonator. The 2.5” pipe for the right side muffler is also welded to the Resonator. I assume the right side muffler is separated to facilitate packaging. The wooden crate they came in was about 5 feet wide. Remember, I’m talking WK2 model.

Anyway, like I said you can call it whatever you want. I was simply trying to share with you what’s taught in Engineering Schools worldwide. The curriculum takes you back to the German scientist, Helmholtz, who invented the first known Resonator, then forward to applications in modern automobiles. Back in the 1960s, I believe Ford offered a Mustang without the Mufflers. It had two Resonators, located under where the driver and passenger sat, with a short pipe curved down to the ground. It allowed noise without the annoying drone pitch at certain RPMs.

But the discussion is a an old argument between mechanics. In 1978, when I worked for Chrysler, I went to the Chrysler Training Center in Georgia... the two main arguments amongst mechanics were... Mufflers vs Resonator and the flow of Battery Current, positive to negative or vice versa. And the arguments continue even to date.

And by the way, because I was trying determine what was causing the P0471 code, I did cut my Resonator Open once I removed it from my Jeep (VIN: 1C4RJFDJXEC321205). There was absolutely no baffling inside. Chrysler used the Tube method versus the chamber method to Resonate. But absolutely No baffling inside.

Next time you’re at the dealership parts department, ask them to lookup the WK2 exhaust system... use my VIN number shown above. There’s a page that list Muffler left and Muffler right, with price of about $650 dollars. But in a note below, it states [cannot order independently, must purchase Resonator], which is the entire unit from the CATS back, minus tailpipes.

I can assure you one Muffler (or can, as you stated) and a portion of the pipe does Not cost $2000.00 dollars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can assure you one Muffler (or can, as you stated) and a portion of the pipe does Not cost $2000.00 dollars.
If bothered to look the $2045 is for the full system, muffler, resonator, and pipe, is the description. What you see is the number 7 pointing to the rear can and being labeled 'resonator'. This is a Mopar site. Do you think it's odd that you can't provide proof of your theory?

·
Registered
167 Posts
How come the resonator/muffler is such a sore subject on this site?
Either way it's actually called a silencer :-d

I have my popcorn in-hand.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts