Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm not searching this right but I'm trying to find the boost limits of the stock pistons and max boost before headgasket blows, I'm betting someone here has some real world experience with this.
Thanks,
CrazyBob

·
Registered
158 Posts
You are going to get a lot of answers here, but what it ultimately boils down to is the stability of your rig/tune and luck. "Safe" levels are always going to be stated as 8lbs on stock. I have a a 150k mile engine that I fully rebuilt the top end through LTs and a fully upgraded stock trans and I am solidly locking up 13.5lbs on a D1X with a moderate tune (timing is not neutered, but room to advance if feeling cocky [ignorant]).

Ultimately I would still stick with the 8-10 max spec, but if you build your engine and monitor all the data yourself and feel comfoartable making decisions based on your data, you definitely have the posibility of more power.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey CrazyBob,

It also depends on where you live. I live in Colorado, elevation 5,800 at the track (Bandimere) and 6,100 at my house.
I have 2008 (120,000 miles) with D1 Procharger, 3.2 pulley, and upgraded injectors (those are the major changes). All else is stock.
I initially started out using Diablo to tune, but last year moved to HPTuners (best decision). I am current running exactly 9 psi on track tune running 104 octane race fuel and have had zero issues.
At this elevation, dyno'd at 570 to all wheels. Calculating about a 20% AWD power loss (this is pretty normal), it is putting out 710+ at the crank.

I can't really go any further without making major modifications/upgrades to trans, T/C, etc. If I was at a lower elevation this would be quite disastrous to the rig without a different tune.
Here they can be tuned a little higher because of the lack of oxygen. I'm sure I could push 10+ but then have to rebuild the engine, etc. soon thereafter. :)

Kevin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey CrazyBob,

It also depends on where you live. I live in Colorado, elevation 5,800 at the track (Bandimere) and 6,100 at my house.
I have 2008 (120,000 miles) with D1 Procharger, 3.2 pulley, and upgraded injectors (those are the major changes). All else is stock.
I initially started out using Diablo to tune, but last year moved to HPTuners (best decision). I am current running exactly 9 psi on track tune running 104 octane race fuel and have had zero issues.
At this elevation, dyno'd at 570 to all wheels. Calculating about a 20% AWD power loss (this is pretty normal), it is putting out 710+ at the crank.

I can't really go any further without making major modifications/upgrades to trans, T/C, etc. If I was at a lower elevation this would be quite disastrous to the rig without a different tune.
Here they can be tuned a little higher because of the lack of oxygen. I'm sure I could push 10+ but then have to rebuild the engine, etc. soon thereafter. :)

Kevin
Hey Kevin, if you see this, I’d like to know who in Colorado did the work on your jeep ? I’m looking into getting a turbo kit for my wk1 and I’m having a hard time finding a good shop that works on Mopar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts