Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New SRT owner (17), new to the forum. I have been researching the best options for minimizing the red in the stock taillight. These guys seem to have the best solution: MHFautolighting

Are there any other options I should consider? I've never baked and painted my own lights, does anyone have experience with this on the WK2 and can advise if it's worth the time/effort?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Haven’t tried it, but a cheaper option might be to paint or tint your stock lights. Laminex sells a tint kit for theJeep, or a good body shop could paint them.

One thing that has kept me from messing with the tails is because I know a lot of the WK1 guys had issues with warping due to heat buildup with the tinting. I don’t know if the WK2 have this issue but hopefully someone will chime in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pnut. I am going to avoid any exterior solution so I'll never have to worry about the legality side of things. I also couldn't find any info on how to get the stock tails open; I'm wondering if it's a bake process or something different. It would be nice to paint the inside housings myself to save some money, but I do like the LED solution by MHF.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If money isn’t an issue, I’d give the MHF lights a try. I’ve personally had problems with taking light housings apart, but your skill level might be better than mine.

Years ago, I took apart the headlights on my old GMC Yukon to remove the amber reflectors. After reassembly, the housings constantly fogged up and moisture would build up inside.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Why paint or buy new headlights. Just vinyl tint black your taillights, it's cheapest, last long and no modification to your taillights, you can go back to original anytime.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
BTW, I was reading up on MHF’s site, and it sound like they paint the exterior surface of the housing, not the inside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I didn't realize they paint the outside, that's a big disappointment! I thought the inside housings were black hence the high price. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ask a Good body shop to tint em!
They’ll mask off area’s like reverse lights and wherever ya dont want tint look and what they doo is take em in the spray booth and spray em w aa translucent blk paint and the more layers the darker , then spray w a clear coat and then buff to shine once dry!
look’s super Sexxy and very oem!
i pay $300 for all 4 light’s , i justs gott new rigg on Sat and my tail’s are getting done on the 15 rt now which are the same as your’s..
i’ll post a pic of the last Rigg i totaled few weeks agooo so you get an idea and then i’ll update tomo w the new truck tail’s once reinstalled!
here is my 12 AGAIIN I like em Super dark for the Murder Look but you mention legalities so i’d go a few shades lighter lol but just so you know my Non Led (Below) Shined , Shoned , Came thru Just fine and i was nvr pulled over Uhhhh For the tail’s At Least lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@LI-SRT thanks for the reply and picture! I would definitely like to see your new one. I would go less dark, but that's a good solution. Do you need to go LED bulbs, or is it ok with stock?

·
Registered
620 Posts
The 12 came w Non Led’s and had the truck for 4+ years w the tinted tail’s (typically the 1st round o mods, same as w the 15 in garage rt now.less than 3 weeks old and tail’s have been done for almost 2 weeks lol.) the non led 1157 bulbs were absolutleey fine and visible day or night, obv day was a lil less visible but nvr an issue!
15 comes w diff tails Led
(Way nicer imho and way brighter)
Mine again are just as Dark on the 15 and they are super bright and see thru’issh! Day or nighht! Had i known jus How bright they are i wouldve gone darker lol

Ate a Sammie and am bow ft and lazzy couch watxching this White hs testimony 🐎Shit but soon i shall go garage and Snap a few pixx for ya
Neil

·
Registered
620 Posts

Mhf Rear Fog light kit.. Tinted to match! Still yet to install! Ck out my Build thread here for Sh*tloads o mods i doing!

Neil

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all,

New SRT owner (17), new to the forum. I have been researching the best options for minimizing the red in the stock taillight. These guys seem to have the best solution: MHFautolighting

Are there any other options I should consider? I've never baked and painted my own lights, does anyone have experience with this on the WK2 and can advise if it's worth the time/effort?

Thanks so much!
I cannot get over the fact that my fellow SRT drivers go for unsafe practices like darkening rear lights?! Even if you don’t care about your life, please consider that of your passengers and those not stopping in time and running into you because they did not react fast enough as the warning was not bright enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts