Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but nothing came up..I was wondering what oil brands are you guys using and how sensitive the Hemi can be to other oils beside Mobil or Penzoil? I am thinking of running full synthetic 5w-40 Eneos Oil made by Nippon. My buddy is a supplier so i get a good deal on it, i use to run this oil on my Evo and the car use to love it. This and Mobil one filter have been pretty good to me.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
You will be fine with whatever brand you choose. Most people change their oil too early anyways with nothing but wives tales for their basis. If you want to know if the oil you chooose is any good get it analyzed after your first use. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Reactions: autenb

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats what i figured, just wasnt sure if this engines are really picky on which brand you use...but i am the kind of person that does it old school 3k interval anyways :)

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
yeah thats what i figured, just wasnt sure if this engines are really picky on which brand you use...but i am the kind of person that does it old school 3k interval anyways :)
Point proven.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for sharing. My last car(BMW 740il) I changed the oil every 6,500 using synthetic. I didn't know if these rigs were more sensitive to those intervals.

-Thanks

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
you actually had less copper, less iron, and less molbdenum than you did in your previous analysis. whats something like this cost anyway?

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I use the mobil one syn but replace a quart with the pricy lucas syn additive, about $20.
At 85K and beating on it daily, I need all the help possible.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
has anyone used the green Oil the Brad Penn oil?

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
Been using mobil 1 since I don't know when, even before the truck was supercharged without any problems. I do have a lot of Red Line oil sitting. I'll change to that next time.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I will say that you should avoid Rotella based on first hand experience... I had to use it after my 1000 mile break in because not one shop in town had Mobil 1 in a 0w-40 and my engine did NOT like it. Oil temps were hitting 255*F and coolant temps even spiked 230*F when idling and in stop-go traffic.

To put this in perspective, I have since only run Mobil 1 0w-40 and just finished a 5k mile roadtrip through Colorado (as many mountains as possible in 80+F weather :cool:), New Mexico (90+F), Arizona (hit 100 in Phoenix), and Vegas (was 96 and I had a little fun with a C6 on a side street :D ). During ALL of this my oil temps never got above 244 (only climbing at 75 mph in 90* weather) and coolant was ALWAYS below 215 with the stock thermostat in.

/end rant

To sum up, avoid Rotella like the plague... lol

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Used Mobil 1 since ownership of my JEEP. No problems so far. Change the oil every 3500miles daily driven. I have like 20 quartz of Mobil 1 in my garage. I stock up when there's a sale.
I might try Amsoil next just for the hell of it.

·
Administrator
5,855 Posts
It's funny to me that SRT only recommened Mobile 1 at one time. Even the filler cap has it. Now they're flogging Pennzoil. Look at who's a major sponsor of Kurt Bushe's #22 Dodge sponsored Charger, then check out all of Pennzoil's commercials that feature only Mopars and a Maseroti. Pennzoil even has a Challenger SRT8 contest going. It's all about mutual corporate sponsoring and as far as those two oils go I think they're equal. I still use Mobile 1 because that's what my dealer has in stock.

Bernie

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
they dont recommend mobil 1, its just that mobil 1 payed chrysler to put their symbol on the oil cap, my Evo had the same thing, its part of advertisement. Mobil 1 does not affiliate with chrysler anymore since the bankruptcy, so thats why pennzoil is the new hot thing now.

·
Administrator
5,855 Posts
At one time that's all they recommended, just like they only recommend Pennzoil now.

From the web chat 1 Sep 11:

Comment From Brandon Averill:
What oil and viscosity do you recommend for the 6.1L SRT Jeep?

SRT Engineer 7:
Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic 5w-40

Bernie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts