Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, ive been doing some playing and lots of reading on tuning our jeeps over the last week or so and have come to some backyard conclusions....kind of linked to Johan's last post about top tier fuel having such a big impact on our performance, especially knock and retard, i have read and been advised to go with the 91 CAI tune as opposed to the 93 CAI tune. ok here is what i have found to be the case on my particular wk....the 91 CAI tune is WORLDS above the 93 CAI tune...after some logging i see ZERO stkn or ltkn under any conditions with the lower tune...seat of the pants-o-meter says that my jeep is pulling significantly harder with the 91 and i can only attribute this to the fact that the ecu is not pulling any timing throughout the rpm range where as the 93 tune was knocking some which caused the ecu to dial it back to protect the engine.....granted, if you just look at the top number on a dyno the 93 may produce a higher peak hp number but on the street, real world conditions the 91 is the way to go....as for the gas i use only BP 93 from one station,unless out of town, so i should be ok....but...you never know when the tanker truck has just left before you pulled up to the pump....butt dyno may be discounted by some but for most of us its what really counts because thats our "semi-scientific" measuring device when we pull up to the traffic light where that Z06 is sitting and we are doing the calculations to determine "go/no go".........so, thanks to those that advised on the 91 CAI as opposed to the 93 CAI and hopefully this will give you something to think about.

here is how im actually set up in the predator:
91 CAI tune

changed parameters

fans...all options 15* cooler
Idle....200rpm higher all A/C off...250 higher all A/C on(makes a HUGE difference on take off)
throttle boost........maximum (20%)

· Registered
400 Posts
What kind of power did it make on the rollers before and after the 91 tune?

Track times?

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no idea....never been on either with this jeep---both planned for 2wks from now

· Registered
363 Posts
Who is doing the tune? Im looking into a tune myself, just dont know who to go with. Im new to these Jeeps.

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im doing trial and error with the programming with the Diablosport Predator while logging the results on the laptop.

· Registered
419 Posts
Just got my intune last week and finally had a chance to load a tune today. I took your recommendation and did the CAI 91 Octane tune. Did the throttle boost at 20% and took the idle up 100 rpm just to play with it. MAN, what a difference! Running really strong. Throttle boost is nice and I like the idle up a bit. Sounds mean sitting at a light. I really notice it pulling harder at the top of second. I mean A LOT harder all the way to redline. No data logging yet.

Question on the fans. Are you running that 15* cooler with the stock thermostat or the 180*?

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
180 tstat........plastic elbow in upper rad hose broke today...new dayco e72226 1piece hose be here tomorrow(gates # is 23035)...$27 from autozone.......and i know exactly what youre talking about with the top of second gear!!!! its like a freight train, if the cmr tunes are better than this then i cant even imagine it.....also, i did reset the transmission adaptive memory(forced re-learn) and drove it like bad ferret for a few days and man its strong when it shifts....mike youll know what i mean when i say that it pulls through the shifts now, not up to the shift, shifts, then pulls hard again......its like a rubix cube of horsepower/torque-damn this is fun!!!

· Registered
498 Posts
Subscribing for parameters.

Reactions: GRAND_SRT

· Registered
171 Posts
this is awsome info!..getting my predetor today and cantwait to play with the tunes!..i rode in a frends jeep with a tune from johan and a TCM and let me tell you that thing will get it...shifts smooth and power throughout all the shift points..

so do you suggest to get the 180 stat before running te fans 15* cooler?

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i wouldnt touch the fans without the 180* tstat BUT*************

i was having some flat spot issues that i couldnt sort out by tuning without risking melting a piston...you really do need a wideband if youre gonna make any significant changes.....so i bit the bullet and got up with Johan and let him work his magic.....people...friends.....this shit is unreal!!!! what he did on just the 1st toon was nothing short of erection inducing.....in just 2 days i had gone through 4 toons from him and there is nothing i can say to convince someone that hasnt felt the difference of how bad you NEED this done to your jeep.....the shifts alone are worth the price of admission but it is OMG strong now.......anyone that has ANY interest in making your jeep stronger----THIS IS THE MOD YOU MUST DO!!!!.....dont ask if you should wait until youve got other mods like an s/c or cam or heads until you let it be tooned.........GET IT NOW, within 2min you will want to know why in the hell you waited so long!!!!

Reactions: jumpback

· Registered
171 Posts
yeah i know i already contacted johan! hopefully its fully tooned by next week!! then i needa TCM and the 180 stat hopefully can be installed before the tooning..

· Registered
32 Posts
JP is drunk again!

Don’t listen to JP he fell, hit his head on a curb, and at that exact moment a punch 150 (old school 200lb version) fell from the sky and smoked him in the Adam’s apple back in 1991. No tune in the world can put out that much seat of the pants feel. Who is the person you speak of…….SuperToona or something? :eek:

No I joke, JP is dead nuts on…..Johan tune is the difference between beast and BEAST. Don’t hesitate to make this upgrade after the usual bolt-on stuff.

I will post track numbers with temps this weekend after test and tune night of before Johan and after Johan once we get all the logs and tune files worked out.

You had me at Toona!
Michael

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ass!!!! i cant believe you would saddle a Punch150 as weighing 200lbs....its like 174lbs TOPS!!! Seriously, go Johan, its ya birphday!!!

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HA!!!!! it wasnt just a Punch150 that hit me but it was accompanied by a Punch800p2...and....I KEPT THEM BOTH!!!!!!!

· Registered
339 Posts
i wouldnt touch the fans without the 180* tstat BUT*************

i was having some flat spot issues that i couldnt sort out by tuning without risking melting a piston...you really do need a wideband if youre gonna make any significant changes.....so i bit the bullet and got up with Johan and let him work his magic.....people...friends.....this shit is unreal!!!! what he did on just the 1st toon was nothing short of erection inducing.....in just 2 days i had gone through 4 toons from him and there is nothing i can say to convince someone that hasnt felt the difference of how bad you NEED this done to your jeep.....the shifts alone are worth the price of admission but it is OMG strong now.......anyone that has ANY interest in making your jeep stronger----THIS IS THE MOD YOU MUST DO!!!!.....dont ask if you should wait until youve got other mods like an s/c or cam or heads until you let it be tooned.........GET IT NOW, within 2min you will want to know why in the hell you waited so long!!!!
Totally agree. The canned DS tunes are "alright" but conservative. And people messing with the adjustable parameters without knowing what they are doing are playing with fire. I put in a 180 deg t-stat, installed a catch can and a Volant CAI and let Johan do a custom tune. He is really good and esp with the HEMIs. He kept tweaking it per my data logs till I now get only a very brief 1 - 1.5 deg retard on ST Knock during upshifts. It is dialed in and amazing how much more aggressive yet smooth this thing runs now. And it aint the damn CAI lol- those things don't do much, I just installed it for the hell of it basically. Love to drive my Jeep now its FUN :p

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Just ordered a Trinity and i have to do what now?
Very new to this and this will be a learning curve for sure, but reading all this helps. Thanks.
Oh and just installed a Volant 180 t-stat and exhaust, kinda excited

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you can follow the advice above for the canned tune options or bite the bullet and go with a Johan toon.....in all honesty you really cannot imagine the difference between the canned tunes that come on the Diablo devices and a custom tune. when i say that you will feel like you have a new vehicle i am being conservative.....have fun!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.