Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a before and after dyno with the trinity on my 07...
First is bone stock, second is 91 oct tune, 3rd is 93 oct tune...
Gasoline is premium with 10% ethanol, should be better than 91 oct.
Anyone else get results like this? So far its not looking like its worth the money for it..
Jeep was brought up to operating temp, then did the 3 runs back to back only pausing to load the tunes, afterwords I put back the the stock tune and basically repeated run number 1 numbers.

Attachments

· Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
Is this AWD or rear wheel Dynojet? That torque seems high for a stock jeep....

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Custom tune time...

When you buy the trinity, you don't buy it for the canned tunes. You buy it for monitoring/custom tuning/data-logging... at least that's why I bought it. I only ran the canned tunes until I could get a custom one from Johan. :D

Reactions: Texas SRT8

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A little effort to get in on they 2wd dyno.. I had to pull the front shaft and the tcase motor. The bolts for the Driveshaft are 8mm, and tighter than hell.. I had to machine down an 8mm impact socket to get the bolts out.
Think I will leave the programming alone till I drop the coin on a supercharger kit...I was going to buy the magnaflow exhaust, but from reading here, it looks like aftermarket exhausts don't really do a lot either..

· Registered
1,151 Posts
i got my intune on the claims of some hp gains along with the other capabilities, shit if its just for logging them i would just buy the least expensive data logger....im a little pissed right now.
It's more than just datalogging, you also get the ability to load custom tunes, check and clear engine codes, etc... still a good purchase ;) But the canned tunes aren't vehicle specific, so there is still some left on the table ;)

A little effort to get in on they 2wd dyno.. I had to pull the front shaft and the tcase motor. The bolts for the Driveshaft are 8mm, and tighter than hell.. I had to machine down an 8mm impact socket to get the bolts out.
Think I will leave the programming alone till I drop the coin on a supercharger kit...I was going to buy the magnaflow exhaust, but from reading here, it looks like aftermarket exhausts don't really do a lot either..
Exhaust is mostly just for sound on these engines, unless you are FI. A better investment would be a CAI with a custom tune ;) More power and you are probably going to see a small mpg increase :D

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Step up to a custom tune to really see
gains. The canned tunes provide better drive ability than horsepower. The canned tunes need to be conservative so theirs no legal issues with blown engines/etc.

Get a dialed in CMR tune for sure ;)

Looks like on the 93 CAI ya lost power. I'm guessing ST Knock.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
1,249 Posts
Step up to a custom tune to really see
gains. The canned tunes provide better drive ability than horsepower. The canned tunes need to be conservative so theirs no legal issues with blown engines/etc.

Get a dialed in CMR tune for sure ;)

Looks like on the 93 CAI ya lost power. I'm guessing ST Knock.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
Well I have Trinity that I haven't tampered with yet because im waiting for good weather, but if there is a chance that I can blow the god damn motor then I will be selling it on this forum.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Well I have Trinity that I haven't tampered with yet because im waiting for good weather, but if there is a chance that I can blow the god damn motor then I will be selling it on this forum.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
You won't blow your motor with a canned tuned, nor will you with a dialed in custom tune.

I said the canned tunes are conservative because there are so many variables you can't ship them with balls to the walls tunes. The canned tunes need to play nice with all the cars supported with little chance of issues developing as a result of a canned tuned.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
1,249 Posts
Dont worry, it will be Johan or nothing.
Also, I will be calling you as I go through the process....lol

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just pulling the tcase motor was enough for me to dyno in 2wd.
Get a custom tune.

You're going to see bigger gains on the diesel though, regardless.
After I pulled the tcase motor, I lifted the front of the jeep, and rotated the front driveline, I could still feel friction between the front and rear, so I pulled the driveshaft to.
I would like to see some actual dyno sheets before I bother with a custom tune... The whole reason I bought my own dyno was so I could see what worked and what didnt work when it came to performance parts, as it sits I am not all that convinced there is much left on the table when it comes to an unopened motor. You'd think that the trinity marketed as a performance piece, would at least be able to pickup power even if it was modest 1 or 2 ft/lbs across the board, and then leave a little more for their custom CMR tuners to pickup the rest, not drop torque throughout the power band like it did. It's not like the stock calibration was custom tuned to my particular motor, outside of the ecu's learning function, which I don't think came into play, as the stock reloaded returned my power.
That being said, compared to larger than life vintage muscle cars I have seen run on dyno's, the SRT8 makes pretty decent power stock...

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.