Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok back again with my 8th WK2 SRT. I ordered a 21 on July 6th. This Covid is nuts. The beast is built as of last week but now sits and waits for a train. Anyhow, my past SRTs had Axle back Borla Atak and I loved it but hated that Lining up the Tips was such a pain in the ass and never really getting them right unless I went to a muffler shop and trusted them to start banging around heating up pipes and such. Also, I don’t need it super crazy loud but I think the axle back needed to be a touch louder. Question is, if I buy the full cat back system would it be easier to install and lineup the tips in the cutouts? and also would it be tremendously louder or mildly? I’d rather have the tips lined up in the cut outs more than anything. Still waiting patiently for this truck to be delivered I hate that I ordered it in the summer and now I’m going to get it in the winter but oh well. I’m also open to another exhaust but really never liked other exhaust tones. Wish I could get mine to sound like my old fox body flowmaster mustangs growing up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2016 and the previous owner installed a Magnaflow system and I'm very happy with it. I personally think both Borla systems sound too raspy. The Magnaflow has a clean but deep sound from a cold start to fully warmed up. Even during acceleration it has a very clean and powerful sound.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok back again with my 8th WK2 SRT. I ordered a 21 on July 6th. This Covid is nuts. The beast is built as of last week but now sits and waits for a train. Anyhow, my past SRTs had Axle back Borla Atak and I loved it but hated that Lining up the Tips was such a pain in the ass and never really getting them right unless I went to a muffler shop and trusted them to start banging around heating up pipes and such. Also, I don’t need it super crazy loud but I think the axle back needed to be a touch louder. Question is, if I buy the full cat back system would it be easier to install and lineup the tips in the cutouts? and also would it be tremendously louder or mildly? I’d rather have the tips lined up in the cut outs more than anything. Still waiting patiently for this truck to be delivered I hate that I ordered it in the summer and now I’m going to get it in the winter but oh well. I’m also open to another exhaust but really never liked other exhaust tones. Wish I could get mine to sound like my old fox body flowmaster mustangs growing up.

I had the Borla ATAK axle back on my '16 SRT also. Just got my '21 SRT a month ago. I looked on the Borla website and emailed a sales rep.. he said they only make cat-back systems for SRT's. Weird because I found the last one I bought on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008WOH2ZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm wanting this in the Borla "S" flavor this time, rather than ATAK. Can't seem to find it anywhere.. And Borla says they don't even make the ATAK version referenced above, so I'm confused..

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Thelen, Borla markets the CATBACK systems for ‘16+ SRTs because those systemswere designed for the GCS that don’t have the exhaust flaps. The AXLE BACK was designed for the GCs with the flappers, but can be used on ‘16+ models.

YFD, I have the Borla S catback on my ‘17. After installing, everything looked lined up, but after a few heat cycles, it move slightly. I ended up having the joints tac welded to keep it in place. It’s still slightly off but I have my tips painted black on a black car so it doesn’t look as obvious.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts