Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the durango r/t for the 2012 year. I'm actually going to hold off on getting one based on this (biggest ding the 2011 durango got was a horrible 5spd). Interesting becuase the durango is basically a stretched jeep with the 5.7 hemi. Wondering if anyone saw that coming, if it was old news, and if Jeep may do the same with the GC.

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
I was rolling down the highway next to a DRT the other day. He was checking out my Jeep and I was checking out his ride. I rolled down my window and pointed at him and gave him the thumbs up. He smiled and did the same. Then I nailed it.:lol: Point is...... that thing looked goooood. I'd love to get one, throw a stroker in it, turbo it, and have a RWD monster with some slicks. I think that thing could be a total beast. Now if we can just hack into the damn PCM.:fu:

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
630 Posts
Now if we can just hack into the damn PCM.:fu:
Maybe Chrysler needs to take a page from the electronic folks. I remember Linksys (bought by Cisco) replaced open routers with closed ones and the modder community freaked out. So Linksys released a mod-able router.

Maybe Chrysler should do the same. Release a mod-able version of SRT8's that DONT come with drivetrain warranties or something. Or maybe they should sell them WITHOUT engines? :D

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I think the Durango is great looking. 6-speed1!! Long overdue.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, it's sad, but I've decided to hold off on the srt8, and get a 2012 durango r/t.
When my wife's lease on comesup next summer, I'll take another look at the srt8.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Everyone knew they were going to, but don't get too excited. The new 6 speed in the GC and Durango is essentially the same as the 5 speed with a new name and slightly different programming.

The 5 speed auto isn't really a 5 speed, it's a 6 speed, with an alternate gear for kickdowns that isn't normally accessible (only on kickdowns). The new 6 speed has all the same ratios, except now you can access that extra kickdown gear using the manual shift mode.

So it's still going to be horribly slow for that much power unless they significantly reduced the torque management on it. I'm sure in time the aftermarket will crack it, but the question will be if they'l crack the 6 speed or the 5 speed, and if such a crack would work for both.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts