Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Anyone install FLIR PathfindIR in their Jeep?

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  digi 
#1 ·
I am debating getting a PathfindIR 'Full Featured' camera and am thinking about where to mount it. I think the best place is in the grill. That would keep it more secure than open air mounting (these cameras are no where near cheap) and get the best view I think. I could come up with a mounting bracket to mount their included camera bracket just behind one of the mesh areas on the grill. It would require cutting a little of the mesh away but could be tastefully trimmed and would probably look really good.

I even thought of trying to adapt the radar cruise control housing on one of the 2012 GC but I hadnt really looked close enough to see if the lower grill area is a close enough shape to make it work. And on top of that I have a feeling the picture from that low wouldn't be the best.

#2 · (Edited)
I am debating getting a PathfindIR 'Full Featured' camera and am thinking about where to mount it. I think the best place is in the grill. That would keep it more secure than open air mounting (these cameras are no where near cheap) and get the best view I think. I could come up with a mounting bracket to mount their included camera bracket just behind one of the mesh areas on the grill. It would require cutting a little of the mesh away but could be tastefully trimmed and would probably look really good.

I even thought of trying to adapt the radar cruise control housing on one of the 2012 GC but I hadnt really looked close enough to see if the lower grill area is a close enough shape to make it work. And on top of that I have a feeling the picture from that low wouldn't be the best.

Isn't it a little dangerous to drive down the road staring at your radio, rather than actually looking out the windshield? :confused:

#3 ·
Probably. If you actually stared at it and drove via camera. They actually come on a lot of BMWs and the highest end Mercedes as a factory option. It was an option I was looking for when I was looking at S65's a while back.

I guess Mercedes and BMW havent been sued out of existence yet for it.

The point is to set the camera to either 'white hot' or 'black hot' (whichever will catch your attention the quickest) and use peripheral vision to catch things out of reach of your headlights that the camera shows.

#4 · (Edited)
I think this could be a great safety feature if used properly.
But if not used properly could be very bad.

I am currently in the process of putting a front video camera w/ night vision on my Prius. Along with lots of other goodies. Its gonna be pretty awesome! :lol:

But that is not the same as FLIR. I saw an ad for that in Dupont registry I think.. It looked pretty cool. People or animals glow bright white on the screen.

#5 ·
Correct Scam, FLIR and night vision are not the same. FLIR stands for Forward Looking Infra Red which means that it picks up the heat signatures that different materials put off. Each type of surface retains heat at a different rate, so the camera can tell them apart. However rain, hail and snow can cause IR crossover where they all cool at a similar rate and make it very hard to distinguish between them.

Night vision amplifies light to get you a picture. Night vision requires you to have ambient light in order to function properly.

For driving FLIR would be better since the animals or people would be very distinct.

#6 ·
^ Good info there. I want one of those now. I bet its pretty expensive though.. Do you happen to know how much it costs for a FLIR kit?

The only reason why I am getting a front video camera is because I got a lockpick for my prius. Originally I just wanted front video enabled so I could watch movies on a long trip. Thats how it all began. lol Then the list got bigger...

#8 ·
Very cool. These kits are pricey indeed but its some awesome technology.

If you ever get this hooked up on the Jeep post it up. I would love to see something like this hooked up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.