Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use that seafoam stuff on the jeep? did some research checks out ok just curious on anyones personal experience, about to throw the CC on but she never had one and its at 51k miles thought i would be good for a cleaning before i through it on

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Anyone ever use that seafoam stuff on the jeep? did some research checks out ok just curious on anyones personal experience, about to throw the CC on but she never had one and its at 51k miles thought i would be good for a cleaning before i through it on
Just pull the intake manifold and clean it out. I used seafoam once on a customers grand prix to free up a stuck lifter.. Not sure if I'd put it in the jeep, that's just me though. The manifold is very easy to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
160 Posts
i actually just used it the other day. i took off the hose that goes into the intake and let it suck right out of the bottle until she died. let'er sit for 10 min. or so and fired her up. tons of smoke... and had a check engine light. unplugged the neg. on the battery for a bit and put it back on and fired her up with no check engine light. drove her around for awhile and no problems. even the throttle response seems to be more crisp now.

just for kicks i threw the predator on to check what codes she threw and nothing came up. ;) with all that nasty smoke i know the seafood cleaned a bunch of crap out.

good luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, Bill... that's always cool, but it'd be nice to know how long it goes on like that before it burns off.
I've never used it myself. I'm more of a take-things-apart-&-clean-em' kinda guy.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Thanks Bill, thats actually my jeep in the vid. It burned like that for 5 mins or so, then I took onto the road and smoked for another 10 miles or so, but not like the vid. Enough though that I could see people point coming at me. lol

Fred

·
Registered
900 Posts
how often is it recommended to use?

·
Registered
744 Posts
That's quite a while.
Thanks Fred.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Don't know how often you'd use it but maybe once a year?

K, the 10 miles should have actually been like 10km(Canadian) 6-7 miles... Even thats exaggerating it. It wasn't long once I got it on the road.. put it that way. lol

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, thanks bill had a buddy use it on his camaro he said it works wonders lol. Think im gonna try it out

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Just did mine last week also. 1/2 a can through the hose at the front of the manifold and the other 1/2 in with the oil. Put a whole can into a full tank of gas too. I didn't get that much smoke, but that may be because I have a catch can. Seems to run better now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did it and it made my car run cleaner BUT...... Plan on doing spark plug change a bit after because me and a couple of friends (non-jeepers) had problems with spark plugs

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put it in my daily driver 200 miles before an oil change and it really cleans it out and runs better. I have a Crown Vic Ex cop car with 120k and no issues.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
As much as I don't agree with the use of most additives; I actually like seafoam.
Used to do it all the time to personal vehicles. Mostly great results. ONCE had an evo act funny for an hour or so, but eventually cleaned off and was fine after a good couple of miles. Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner used to do the same task, however the part superceded last year and the 'revised' chemical does nothing. Seafoam works well when done correctly. Idling the chemical out of the exhaust doesn't do much. Ive noticed through my experiences, After sitting abouta half hour after induction, its better to start and drive it hard so the imposed load helps push out the gunk. Havent fouled a plug yet, but had a CEL which after clearing, did not return.

Thumbs up for me.

-Jim
Hemi Shop Director

·
Registered
630 Posts
so if this is the first time looking at using the product, is it okay enough to just run a few bottles through a couple of full tanks of fuel? I'm not comfortable pulling hoses to suck stuff into the manifold.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks Bill, thats actually my jeep in the vid. It burned like that for 5 mins or so, then I took onto the road and smoked for another 10 miles or so, but not like the vid. Enough though that I could see people point coming at me. lol

Fred
haha I bet people were pretty confused when they saw that!

·
Registered
97 Posts
so you spray it in the vent hose going from the intake tube to the manifold and let it die, let it sit, start it up and let her burn off the dirtiness? is this how that works?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts