Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have almost 40000 mile with the Mopar CAI. When I bought my Jeep in 2017, it was the only CARB legal intake available and the dealership gave it to me, free! I figure it should be cleaned soon but realized that the filter element and air box are ONE PIECE!!! To clean the filter, I’d need to remove the entire box!

I was thinking about modding the CAI to make future cleaning easier. I wanted to cut out the Mopar dry filter and insert a piece of pipe into the intake tube. The tube would then extend into the Mopar box and I could clamp on any aftermarket cone filter to the pipe. I don’t think any smog check stations would be able to tell the difference. They’d see the CARB sticker and call it a day.

Do you guys think it would be worth it, being that I’d only really need to clean it every 30-40k miles?!?!?

here’s a pic of my CAI as is…
8AF4D5CD-6E47-42B7-9D58-9466EF660952.jpeg

·
Registered
47 Posts
How is the filter attached to the box? You would want to clean it every 12k or so miles. That is if the filter is serviceable, such as K&N filters. Your filter does look dirty. It restricts air flow, you have less power and it eats more fuel. Got to clean it man.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The filter and box are MOULDED as 1 piece!!! To clean, I’ll need to remove the intake tube from the box, remove the box from the engine bay, then clean the whole box/filter assembly.

I was thinking about cutting out the molded in filter and using an AirAid filter adapter that can be bolted into the Mopar box. I’d then be able to use any brand cone filter. Anyone know the inner diameter of the stock intake pipe?

A5A33D5E-E0C8-421D-9C28-762DC7497968.jpeg
C44341F6-C170-4B2A-92F5-27C4CDEC12AF.jpeg

·
Registered
47 Posts
It can possibly work, just make sure that no air gets thru any of the couplings/connections. OR get yourself Afe CAI (Momentum GT Cold Air Intake System w/Pro 5R Filter Media) removable and enclosed, so less dirt to get on the filter. These engines are pretty solid and I don't think you will have any issues dealers saying anything about it if issues do arise. And if I'm not mistaking you have about 1yr and half left on drivetrain warranty anyways.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted the AFE but at the time I purchased my rig, it wasn’t CARB approved. It’s now has CARB approval, along with the JLT.

I got off my lazy butt and cleaned the Mopar filter today. It was a real pain!!! What should have taken 15 minutes on a regular cone style filter took about 45 minutes. To remove the box, I had to disconnect the air pipe from the throttle body and disconnect the AIT sensor. The air tube was practically dry welded to the box and the TB.

Once I was able to remove the tube from the box, spaying down and cleaning the filter was a pain since I was dealing with the filter attached to the big air box.

Everything went back together smoothly. I applied some dielectric grease to the ends of the tube to bake disassemble easier for the next time. The Jeep did feel pepper too! Next time I won’t wait so long. I believe MOPAR recommended cleaning their dry filters every 20-30k miles. I’ll just do it yearly now.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was checking out Mopar Performance’s CAIs for the SRT Challenger and it has a removable filter element! After looking at its parts, it looks like I could use the filter element and the filter adapter if I cut my my air box/heat shield. The only problem would be finding the individual parts, the cost involved, and wether all the work would be with it?!?!

AEF3B4C6-9973-41A3-B2ED-3E8B53E5FF2E.jpeg

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was checking out Mopar Performance’s CAIs for the SRT Challenger and it has a removable filter element! After looking at its parts, it looks like I could use the filter element and the filter adapter if I cut my my air box/heat shield. The only problem would be finding the individual parts, the cost involved, and wether all the work would be with it?!?!
I personally wouldn't mess with it, just buy it specifically for your car, but not the same thing you currently have. The thing is you're paying for it and than modifying it and who knows if it will work the way you want it to.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think your right. For the time and effort it would take, I could just purchase an AFE or JLT which are now CARB approved. And if I stay with the Mopar, which I most likely will, the pain in the butt cleaning will only happen once a year.

·
-------------------------
104 Posts
Go with the JLT. I'm quite happy with mine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not big fan of JLT, the filter is too open, especially open to the whole engine heat, if there was some sort of separation, than yes, otherwise I wouldn't recommend. AFE is enclosed with plastic box and it sucks air thru the bottom. From what a read, plastic does help against heat.

·
-------------------------
104 Posts
Actually, the JLT comes with a separator wall that seals to the hood when it's closed. It gets all of its air from the bottom as well. I actually had the AFE for a couple of years before switching to the JLT. My intake air temps are about the same with the JLT as they were with the AFE, but the JLT has more intake sound, which I like.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly, I think gains between the two would be minimal. My MOPAR has a similar heat shield as the JLT and it draws air from the bottom and the front, just above the headlight. Sitting at idle, the intake temps do get fairly warm, but once I get moving, my temps are 10-15 degrees above ambient.

I think I’ll stick with the Mopar since I already have it AND it was FREE!!! I’ll use the cash for GAS!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not big fan of JLT, the filter is too open, especially open to the whole engine heat, if there was some sort of separation, than yes, otherwise I wouldn't recommend. AFE is enclosed with plastic box and it sucks air thru the bottom. From what a read, plastic does help against heat.
Actually, the JLT comes with a separator wall that seals to the hood when it's closed. It gets all of its air from the bottom as well. I actually had the AFE for a couple of years before switching to the JLT. My intake air temps are about the same with the JLT as they were with the AFE, but the JLT has more intake sound, which I like.
If that's the case, I guess I never see people put the separator in. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 14 of 14 Posts