Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im all excited that i will finally be able to tow with my DD and not just rely on stealing my wife's Range Rover to pull my toys around..
anybody tow with their SRT yet?
I have a 4000lb YJ wrangler and about a 1200 trailer with brakes..
dont know if I will use it for my trips down to PA.. but depending on how it pulls I just might..

· Registered
3,353 Posts
With a WK2 it shouldn't be a problem, more of a pleasure.

Just watch your tongue weight, and use your e-brake.

I haven't gotten to pull a decent load yet, but these weighed a couple thousand pounds, and you could hardly feel them back there.

Next spring I'll probably be towing my brother's 3k GT and 1.5k trailer.

· Registered
36 Posts
i pulled my 23 foot cougar tunnel boat about 100 miles last week. Didnt even feel it. I towed it with my 06 and '10 as well and definately felt it though they pulled well as well. The '12 really does everything well and the towing was a no brainer.

· Registered
145 Posts
wk2 towing, adaptive cruise control, low gas indicator

No problem towing with the WK2. Two people, a dog, and a full heavy trailer. Handled very well on the highway. Acceleration was great, especially when merging back onto the highway unlike other less powerful SUV's that I had driven. The 6 piston Brembos definitely helped when going down steep grades in the mountains. Thought the Uhaul speed limit said 155mph, not 55mph, so when I hit 105mph I had to dial it down after the dog got car sick and had to pull over so he could puke in a truck stop parking lot (both did happen). In all honesty, it was hard to tell that I was towing anything.

Hard part was remembering to turn the dial to the tow setting after pit stops and gas stations. I didn't expect great gas mileage going into the trip, but at 13.1 mpg on the hwy with cruise control set and towing I really can't complain. The ECO mode did kick in often while driving on flat lands (IL, MO, OK, TX), but didn't notice it much when going up grades in elevation.

The adaptive cruise control work great even in tow mode, often truck drivers or sleepy drivers would drift or make lane changes cutting me off and the Jeep had enough brake power to slow down and keep good distances without me personally applying the brakes. Of note, when using the adaptive cruise control when you slow down more than a few miles an hour your brake lamps are activated to alert the drivers behind you that you are applying significant brake force (without seeing the brake lights reflect off the trailer in heavy braking I would not have known that it does that).

GPS did send me off the highway for gas at a station under the "travel link" where none existed and there was nothing but barren land in New Mexico at the location of the phantom gas station and nothing around for 5 miles. Also, on the EVIC, there is a DTE (Distance To Empty) under the fuel economy header that was helpful trying to calculate when to stop for gas; however, once the low gas light indicator was illuminated the DTE would read 0, even though the gas light indicator is supposed to go on when there are only 3 gallons left. This seems counter-intuitive to show I have 42 miles to empty with 3.1 gal left, but show O miles to empty when I have 3.0 gal left. I get the point I should get gas asap, but in my '99 Explorer the trip computer allowed both the light and DTE to run concurrently.

Attachments

· Registered
145 Posts
Trailer Hitch Covers

For Mongoose9400 - attached is a picture of both of the hitch covers. The one without the logo is for vehicles without the tow pkg. When I ordered the hitch and harness the dealer realized the old hitch cover would not fit. If anyone gets a wk2 without the tow pkg and adds it later, make sure that included in the cost of the hitch and installation they also include the hitch cover for the tow package. The SRT logo hitch cover is a little larger and longer in order to completely enclose the hitch receiver. Also make sure they include the two extra spring loaded pins that are used to secure the hitch cover.

Attachments

· Coksmith&Master-Pintsman
5,153 Posts
Please tell me you didn't really hit 105mph with a crappy-ass uhaul behind your rig? They're not made for that speed obviously...its a great way to get into a snowballing fishtail that will ultimately flip your trailer and potentially wreck your jeep. I've seen far better towing rigs demolished becuase the idiot thought that just becuase he had a pickup truck, he could do 100+ with his boat. Regardles, glad nothing happened and the dog puked outside your jeep.

I'm thrilled Jeep has better towing capacity in the WK2 model... not crazy that they got rid of the center exhaust though. Personally i dont believe the so-called "feedback" that chrysler got about the WK1 not having towing ability to be true. I think that gripe was a paper tiger that had little to no substance behind it. I'm sure people complained that they'd like the "capability" to tow, but how many of them actually would-have towed? I think the SRT owners who actually tow on a regular basis are far and few between, and the ones that do tow reguarly, have a vehicle so-designated and so-designed for the task. 90% of the vehicles on the road called CARS can't tow, but they buy a special performance-based SUV and suddenly you're unhappy about it? No way...

I think getting rid of the center exhaust was a huge mistake. Jeep could have easily found a way around it, by having a special factory attachment for an external tow bar or something that plugged-into the rear with a couple cotter pins or something. It will be funny when the number one feedback about the WK2 is the lack of center exhaust, when the so-called number one complaint about the WK1, was the lack of ability to tow.

· Registered
145 Posts
Cruising at 75mph and 105mph after hundreds of miles on straight, flat, open roads and no winds, seems more similar than you would think. Whether with a trailer or without, I think most wk2 owners would agree if you do not pay attention to the speedo, it can easily creep up on you without noticing as the cabin of the wk2 is very quiet. FYI that was the new 2nd gen Uhaul trailer, you will have to check out my review of those.

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
For Mongoose9400 - attached is a picture of both of the hitch covers. The one without the logo is for vehicles without the tow pkg. When I ordered the hitch and harness the dealer realized the old hitch cover would not fit. If anyone gets a wk2 without the tow pkg and adds it later, make sure that included in the cost of the hitch and installation they also include the hitch cover for the tow package. The SRT logo hitch cover is a little larger and longer in order to completely enclose the hitch receiver. Also make sure they include the two extra spring loaded pins that are used to secure the hitch cover.
Just noticed this, thanks!

They both should have the SRT stamped in them IMO.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
220 Posts
I tow a 18' enclosed cargo trailer for work 5 days a week with the WK2. It weighs between 4,500-4,800 pounds fully loaded. So far no problems at all. I thought I might need a weight distribution hitch to level out the load but the Jeep did not drop as much in the rear as I thought it would, very solid. I agree about the tow mode though. I make many stops a day and often forget to put it back into tow mode, but you really only need it on uphill driving. On flat roads auto works just fine.

P.S. The only reason I did not get a WK1 was because of the lack of towing capability due to the center exhaust. I applaud Jeep for getting it right this time and making this a fully functional SUV. I may be in the minority here, but no way could I justify the price of these rigs if they did not funtion as an all in one vehicle for me.

· Registered
467 Posts
How dare you guys tow with this truck and validate the decision made by Chryco to add the hitch and move the exhaust. How dare you!

Reactions: yaccster
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.