Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey boys,

Jeep is dead in a parking lot, had this problem once before since I bought it new. Took it through a car wash that does the undercarriage and now its dead. First time it happened I jumped it, took it to the dealer and paid over $200 fir them to tell me nothing is wrong.

This last wash was on the fly and the undercarriage thing was an accident on my part. What under there is causing me the grief? Guessing a relay that got a little moisture in it? It wont even jump right now and the break pedal is acting a little off, causing me not to be able to pull it out of park.

Thoughts...

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Maybe a wire got disconnected somehow during the wash. Those undercarriage washers are really powerful.

I would let the car dry up and then try it again.

·
PWR 440
1,627 Posts
Is there any power at all with the key on? Seem like an odd problem!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No juice whatsoever... throw jumpers on it and all the dummy lights come on and it clicks a little. Exact same as last time... except last time with some effort it fired up with a boost, this time it seems extra dead- the odd click (electrical, not mechanical). Sky opened up and it started to hail and snow in the middle of an otherwise sunny day.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I wonder if it's got something to do with the starter itself? What you just described is something similar to what happened to me. Not spraying underneath... but... the lack of electrical juice and clicking. And the starter is underneath.

·
PWR 440
1,627 Posts
Ive had the same problem before and for me it was a bad connection at the starter, and it would almost work for you aswell because water would hit it with the undercarage wash.

Jack up your jeep on the d-side and reach up and pull on the wires and get someone to turn it over with you pulling on the wires.

Hope it helps

Newfie.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks boys... will bring the floor jack back when Im done dinner and a few beers. I am like Johnny fever... a few drinks and Im in the zone.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope... dead and ticking.

·
"guy with the crazy Jeep"
4,862 Posts
Wow, that sucks Ryan... Just to verify, is it dead-dead or crank and no start?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dead Dead. Not cranking in the slightest... There is an electronic tic under the hood, much like when you throw a tune in. Brake pedal is solid as a rock- no play to it at all. Throw cables on it and the dash lights up, go to crank it over and everything goes black.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Maybe your battery is shot, sounds like it wont take a charge at all and when you try to crank it bam drains it completely. pick one up from a shop and try it, if it doesnt work just take it back.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Popped the caps off the battery and one bank was seriously light on water. Went and grabbed a new one- she fired up instantly no problem. Glad it wasnt middle of winter... thanks all.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
so the undercarriage theory was just a coincidence? turned out to be a bad battery? good deal. not a bad idea to swap it out anyway being an 08. i feel ill need one too soon.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Good to hear it was just the battery for sure. What kind did you replace it with?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts