Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are nothern climate people running for all season tires?

It's a 2007 and I have 21k miles on the stock tires and the front driver tire is starting to seperate just like everyone else. So I have searched the posts extensively and the opinions are all over the place on the brand favorites. I have an all stock suspension setup and this is my daily driver. I don't want to switch out winter and summer setups. I am leaning toward the Nitto 420s for all 4 in the stock size. Some say the Nittos are great and others say they the rubber is too hard for the snow. While I liked the stockers for the first 15k or so, I am not going that route, nor spending $1800 on them.

Anyone running the 315 size in the rears and not having rubbing on a stock setup? Is the slimmer 35 size in the rear harsher over bumps than the stock 40?

Can our rims be bent repaired? I'm not getting any vibrations, but you can tell it is bent when on the balancer. I saw some place in Highland Park, IL that said they reshape rims for $130, I plan on calling Monday to see if they can do ours.

It's fun, I get to replace the tires, front rotors and pads (warped rotor and plan on getting the premium R1s and stoptech pads, fix/replace the rim, replace the TC and axle fluids, and fix the damn rear brake squeeling. I wish I was spending cash on performance rather than maintenaince at 21k miles (almost 36 mos. old). :boohoo:

This is my first post on here so take it easy on me please :)

Thx,

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
For an all season I would probably do the Toyo Proxes ST2 or the Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

I run Vreds but don't have to drive the Jeep in the snow.

The 315s shouldn't rub......height isn't that different between them and stockers.
remember the second number is the size is the aspect ratio based on the first number which is the width in mm.

Try wheels of America for repair. I think they are in Arlington Heights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I didn't think about it, the 35 would have to keep the same profile to keep the overall tire height the same as to not throw off the computer and TC. I always thought (not that I looked it up) the second number was the height of the rubber off the rim.

The rim place I found was wheel tech
http://www.wheel-tech.com/9.HTML

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
The second number does give you your sidewall height....but it's a percentage of the width.

So with a 315/35R20 the sidewall is 35% of 315mm.
Vs. a 285/40R20 where it is 40% of 285mm.

25.4mm per inch.

Multiply the sidewall height by two and add the wheel diameter and you have overall diameter of the tire.

Of course real life tire sizes can vary from brand to brand even though the listed size is the same.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
If you want to run only one set, I guarantee you the 420's in the skinnier profile will give you better traction than the 275/315 alternative, wide may get better traction on pavement but it does not on ice or snow. The difference between 235/85-16's and 265/75-16's on my older super duty which was over 6,000lbs empty was noticable, it will be even more so on a 255-275/285-315 switch. I'd run the 420's over Conti's, Toyo, any 275/315 all season combo, just for the better contact pressure, and less plowing.

Welcome to the forum!!

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
While I agree that a skinny tire should do better in the snow, it greatly depends on the tread design between different tires to determine which will do better.

Another option would be the Toyo in a 265/295 combo. Not sure if the continentals come in that size.

Most people think I'm nuts for snow plowing with a 325/65 R18 on my F-350 but they outperform many skinnier tires. Of course my truck in snow plow form weighs around 10,000lbs.
Now with similar tread designs then yes a skinnier tire is better.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I agree dude, I should of specified, comparing same tires skinny/wide, For winter the skinny does a better job. We did some "in house" testing years ago with blizzak 10 plys on my super duty, the 235's did everything better (except for looks) than the 265's, cornering, braking, the works. The 265's weren't bad by any means, there's just a difference with the increased contact area/reduced contact pressure. Being 18's on that beast rig of yours, a set of 275/70-17 Cooper Discoverer M/S winters would rock like a SOB. Wouldn't look as good of course:)

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
I have the Toyo ST II and don't drive the Jeep much in the winter, but have driven it in about 2" of snow and it seemed fine to me. How ever not sure how the Jeep would drive in anything higher then 2" or more with these tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.