Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling my hair out with this install. My Jeep is an '07 with nav (broken screen, reason for upgrade) and rear seat DVD. There is no clean way to fully integrate the rear DVD, and I truthfully will prob never use it anyway, so I just left out integrating it in the install. I can still just use it as a stand alone player.

The first install started out with a Sony XNV-770BT, Pac C2R-CHY4 system adapter, and an Axxess ASWC steering wheel control adapter. Now, I knew that the PAC module would not support fader control, but was not aware, at the time, of any other module for the install. After the install, it took me about 5 minutes to realize that I wanted to fader the sound a click or two to the rear. Bummer. The steering wheel controls for vol & seek up/down worked fine, but the center buttons on each side for preset up/source select only worked intermittently. A real pain. But the real pain was the head unit. If you are considering this unit, run run and then run some more away from it. This thing has a multitude of issues with it. Hindsight being 20/20, I guess I should have figured there was a reason Crutchfield dropped the price $500 on this thing. Anyway, there is a 60 day "no reason needed" return on it, so I decided to return it.

The replacement I decided on was the JVC KW-NT50NWT (so far, love this HU). At this time my installer informed me of the Axxess CHTO-01 system interface, that DOES allow fader control. Excitedly I chose to get it also. The installer also said that he would obtain a replacement steering wheel controller to swap out the possibly defective one.

After the install, all seemed well when I picked it up, with the exception of the "preset up" steering wheel button. My installer said he tried both ASWC modules and neither could trigger this function. He said that he then contacted JVC and was told that this head unit does not support that command. Also, the source select button never works on the first push, but works fine thereafter. Almost like you have to "wake it up" with the first push. A little irritating, but liveable. On the way home, I started to hear the sound "move" around ever so slightly from side to side, and back to front. At first I thought it was just my imagination, or a weak radio station. But the longer I listened, it became clear that the sound was changing, both direction and volume. I verified that all of the sources were affected. After a few hours on the internet I discovered that the CHTO-01 module is to blame, as others reported the same problem.

Now my question is, what is everyone using for their installs? Is there something out there I don't know about? Right now the only option I see is to go back to the PAC C2R-CHY4, and go with an aftermarket amp to retain fader control. BTW, what are the factory speakers impedence? Also, can anyone confirm that this HU does not support preset up? Seems like a fairly common command that should be supported, but at this time I am willing to accept the installers explanation. Maybe I can try a PAC SWI-JACK adapter and see if it works better than the ASWC. Any thoughts there?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Rob

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have and 09 that i took the nab out and put in a pioneer z110. I used all PAC adapters and was able to retain all functions of the steering wheel, including preset up. Never an issue. As for the interface, I tried just adding an amp and sound quality was terrible, so ran the adapter to add an after market amp.
PAC also makes an interface for the rear DVD. Go to their site and enter your info and it'll bring up a list of what you'll need.

·
Registered
400 Posts
the PAC SWI adapter is excellent. That's what I've installed in my vehicles, other's vehicles..and will continue to recommend. It's very finicky though, if you don't mount it where it will be stable and have no chance of moving...then they can sometimes go into an "i work when I want to" phase which gets very annoying.
It's not the head unit that doesn't support the 'preset up' unless your head unit has no option for you to hit/touch a button on the screen to cycle through your presets...which is unheard of. That problem lies in your controls adapter...with the SWI i've never had any issues whatsoever. It will do anything I want it to do, or i can just program each button to do what I want it to do...versus the factory set up.

as for the system adapters, I've never had any issues with fader controls. I've always used PAC for everything...I pretty much swear by it.

I'm not sure what your issues are coming from...but I will see If i can come up with something for you and get back to you in this thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update on the CHTO-01. There is a software update released in July '11 that is supposed to fix the fader issues. We installed this update and it is better now, but not perfect. It plays fine when you are listening to music, BUT whenever you change sources, stations, or tracks, there is a brief moment when the fader goes back to center, then moves to where I have it set (currently one notch to the rear). Also, the navigation voice-over seems to confuse the adapter as well. The sound will randomly be in the front/back or combination of both. Then reverts back to my settings quickly after. It's all pretty annoying and I think I will just go ahead and bite the bullet and go with an aftermarket amp & speakers and just do away with the whole adapter issue.

As for the steering wheel controls. I will probably try a PAC adapter when I get the time, as I believe there is something wrong with the axxess module. E-mailed JVC, and they confirmed that the head unit will accept the "preset up" command. so the problem must be with the axxess steering wheel controller.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts