Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, big time noob here, was wondering if you guys can help me out so i dont mess anything up as i have no experience whatsoever with upgrading car audio.

Anyways, I am looking to upgrade the sound system a bit, and am going to get an aftermarket HU along with it. The plan is to get a JL10W7 and the 500 monoblock amp and i am undecided on the HU, but i am liking what i've read about Pioneers.

Is there anything else that i am missing here that will get the rig bumping and operating efficiently? I plan on eventually upgrading the front and rear speakers too, but the financials are not in place yet.

Any other adapters that i need to be looking at other than the PAC steering wheel control to keep all functionality? Also, is the mounting kit something ill have to buy before i get it installed, or would the place installing it most likely have it for me to purchase?

Any input would be appreciated, please excuse my ignorance. I just want to make sure everything is in place and i am not missing anything before i place the order.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
the shop installing should have the kit in stock - it will be a general kit for all grand Cherokees and then have different mounts for different style head units within.

what is your reasoning for switching head units ? - not thats its a bad thing but from the sounds of it, you are just after a bit better sounds no ?

have you tried installing either a Hi/Low convertor or a clean sweep ? That way you can run a Sub/amp right off your stock HU

its much cheaper and usually where allot of people start off

Reactions: goalieman3333

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I had the pioneer z120 in my jeep and thought it was a great headunit. Someone has one for sale here on the board. PAC audio has all the adapters you'll need to keep the steering wheel controls and the harness to connect to the factory harness. You will need to run a wire from the reverse lights and add an RCA connector to the factory wiring to use the factory backup camera with it.
I did the system in my Jeep twice so feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the info guys. As for the decision to get the head unit, it is just something i've always wanted in the rig with having the convenience of the GPS and the ability to hook up the IPOD (the cheap AM/FM things suck). i have an 07 w/o the upgraded gps, so this will be a nice touch.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the pioneer z120 in my jeep and thought it was a great headunit. Someone has one for sale here on the board. PAC audio has all the adapters you'll need to keep the steering wheel controls and the harness to connect to the factory harness. You will need to run a wire from the reverse lights and add an RCA connector to the factory wiring to use the factory backup camera with it.
I did the system in my Jeep twice so feel free to ask any questions.
Did you do any dynamat by chance? i plan on doing the trunk and license plate Are the doors necessary?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Did you do any dynamat by chance? i plan on doing the trunk and license plate Are the doors necessary?
I pulled the entire interior out (minus the roof) and everything was covered. The doors are definitely more solid. I wasn't able to get the entire outer skin due to access restrictions. I did get the area behind the speakers and does seem to sound better.

·
Registered
271 Posts
A new head unit is a big step up in sound quality. A fair amount of quality choices out there.
Sound deadening will improve your midbass output from the doors and quiet the interior when the system is off.

Now that I've survived the holiday, it's time to get back to my system upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.