Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Aftermarket android radio with original HK 7.1 system

1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  donxuan 
#1 ·
Hi, I plan to upgrade old 730N radio on my 2012 SRT8, that is equipped with HK sound system from factory.

I like 6GB/128GB version of Teyes CC3...and I found various installations in GC, but they seem to be without HK system...does anyone have any experience with such an upgrade? The unit seems to support 5.1, so it might be a bit of downgrade probably, but as long as it will work as 5.1, I should be fine.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
I know you're being specific to the unit you're asking about above (have no clue on these...not my prefered replacment), but, what are your concerns here? I have the HK and replaced factory head unit (730N) with a Kenwood....retaining the original factory DSP/amp - all works just fine and definitely better than the factory. My Kenwood has all the same controls & functions, then also allows time alignment and fully functional cross-overs w/ranges for all speaker groups.

#3 ·
my concern is simply if sound won't be affected...I was considering Kenwood or similar classic brands, but then discovered this one and decided to go in a more fancy way :).
Anyhow, I've ordered it, so will post here the result...

btw, when you were replacing factory for Kenwood, you utilized all 3 big pin connectors that go to factory radio? Because when I went through some installation videos, I had a feeling the white one (left one below) is not used for aftermarket installation?

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

#4 ·
The white one is the factory nav, and it's not used. My Kenwood came with its own antenna, which I ran straight through the top of the dash. Sound is way better IMHO. Yes, post up results as I'm selling my Jeep and pulling the unit if I have to settle for less $$...I would sell separately as I'm moving to a Raptor or TRX.

#6 ·
Just another word of advice, replace all factory speakers...so much better for clarity and response. Again, my head unit allowed me to adjust all time alignment AND cross-over frequencies within the factory DSP/amp...so worth it. Also allowed me to set the dB levels for each stage and add amps where I wanted (subwoofer) w/o bass roll-off.

#10 ·
I opted for the Kenwood Excelon DMX907S. Speakers are a mix of JBl Club series and Infinity Reference series...all (13) speakers replaced based on their sizes (2 in rear towers, (4) rear doors, (6) in front doors and single in center dash). As for my sub, factory is still hooked up - BUT - I built a custom 1.2cu' sealed box that fits up against rear drivers side seat, firing backwards, 12w3 JL powered with a JL XD500/1. If I keep the vehicle, I'd add an amp and put more power to the front stage.

#15 ·
Wraith, what connector have you used to plug in your Kenwood? Some specific harness or RCA? I assume you retained steering wheel with some canbus reduction? I've installed my headunit and while everything works well, my subwoofer has no sound. If I replace android headunit back with original radio, all works well. So has to be something related to harness /headunit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.