Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my SRT8 for almost a year, and as the weather up here in SK started to get colder, all of my doors (on closing, not opening) started to make clanking, rubbing and unpleasant noises.

I spoke with our local dealership who advised the use of white lithium grease, so i did that. Then i tried spraying white lithium grease into a container, letting it evaporate leaving the waxy sediment and used a toothbrush and rubbed this stuff into all the moving hinge parts...and although marginally better, is still not right.

Have any of you guy run into problems with the doors/hinges on these SRT8's and if so, what lubricant would you recommend (and it's gotta be good for -40 degrees celsius).

The other options i've heard of is using ATF transmission fluid and graphite spray (messy).

Any advice would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
I can't help on the -40C but you need to NOT have lube on the surface of the roller wheel or the cam/arm surface that it rolls on. If the surface is lubed it will make the arm slide on the wheel instead of the wheel turning. Since lubing the bearing of the wheel will likely get lube on the surface, I take something like Q-Tip with solvent and clean the surfaces after lubing the rest of the hinge points.

The noise that is made when the wheel doesn't rotate is a nasty groan/creaking sound.

Reactions: fstr n u

·
Registered
806 Posts
motorkote spray

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
There is a TSB on that very issue. It says pretty much what Waumo said. It's on the wkjeeps site #23-018-10 in the body section.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like this problem for the most part. I will try cleaning the wheel and surface area the wheel touches and see if that helps. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After degreasing the rolling hinges and the surface that the roller meets, i used a combination of graphite lube on the springs and upper assembly and white lithium grease on the "pins" that rotates as the door moves...and it now works flawlessly...almost Lexus-like!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Do you have the only GC SRT in Saskatoon ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts