Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get this weird noise coming from under the jeep with medium-heavy acceleration only. Sometimes it there's sometimes it's not. Sounds like it's right under passenger seat area. What might it be?

I was able to capture the sound on my iPhone, let me know what you guys think. It's a 12' with 70k miles.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds like gravel hitting lol. It almost sounds like driveshaft is maybe rubbing against a heat shield or something? We have *******s at work that strap big zip ties to drive shafts to make noise, it almost sounds like this noise.

What was happening when it first started? Was it gradual or all of the sudden?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like gravel hitting lol. It almost sounds like driveshaft is maybe rubbing against a heat shield or something? We have *******s at work that strap big zip ties to drive shafts to make noise, it almost sounds like this noise.

What was happening when it first started? Was it gradual or all of the sudden?

I first noticed it on some hard acceleration pulls last winter in below freezing temps and it was very faint and intermittent. Took it in for service twice and of course I could not get the techs to hear it. It only did it sometimes. Now I hear it just about every time at WOT.
It almost does sound like a driveshaft rubbing on something. It's funny because right before I traded it in, my old jeep 2011 overland made the exact noise. It started right after I bottomed out on a rock although it was just 3x louder.

I'll take a look under this weekend and see what I find

·
Registered
178 Posts
I first noticed it on some hard acceleration pulls last winter in below freezing temps and it was very faint and intermittent. Took it in for service twice and of course I could not get the techs to hear it. It only did it sometimes. Now I hear it just about every time at WOT.
It almost does sound like a driveshaft rubbing on something. It's funny because right before I traded it in, my old jeep 2011 overland made the exact noise. It started right after I bottomed out on a rock although it was just 3x louder.

I'll take a look under this weekend and see what I find

Let me know what you find! I’m at 67k on the ODO, haven’t heard anything similar to your noise....yet lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: crawled under and couldn’t find anything that was off.

It is much worse and audible now, I also found out that when I brake torque the noise is present.

Thinking of changing/checking tcase fluid. Any other suggestions? Sucks being out of warranty!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump: changed tcase fluid and made no difference whatsoever.

Now that it is colder out it’s louder and always there. A light brake torque is enough to make the sound constant. Really don’t know what else to check??

When it was warmer out one day(60F) it was barely audible and now that it’s around freezing temps it is always there. It’s like a weird vibration/grind noise in the passenger area right next to me

·
Registered
111 Posts
The only thing spinning when brake torquing is the engine side of the torque convertor. IDK if there are any clutches engaging/disengaging in the convertor or transfer case at this time. When the convertor began to fail/break on my Blazer it sounded like gravel hitting sheet metal intermittently but usually at low RPM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get this weird noise coming from under the jeep with medium-heavy acceleration only. Sometimes it there's sometimes it's not. Sounds like it's right under passenger seat area. What might it be?

I was able to capture the sound on my iPhone, let me know what you guys think. It's a 12' with 70k miles.

2015 Jeep Grand SRT; i also have been dealing with rattle noises especially under medium to heavy accelleration. I checked underneath pushing and pulling on things. One issue I found was my s

2015 Jeep Grand SRT; Im experiencing some of the same rattle noises from under my jeep. I look underneath pushing and pulling at things. Found transmission cover loose. 4 bolts holds it in place. It only had two. Replaced with new bolts and that took care of some of the noise. The other sounds like it coming from the rear. Any ideas. I'd listen......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.