Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've tried searching the forum, but I couldn't find a thread that discussed my exact problem. I have a 2008 Cherokee SRT8, and my A/C compressor has suddenly stopped working. It was working perfectly and blowing ice cold last week, and now it just will not turn on.

The light on the A/C button comes on, and the controls still work to route the air to the top, to the floor, etc. All seems to be working except for the compressor itself. I've checked all A/C related fuses, and all are fine.

I did find that my upper radiator hose was collapsing, which I fixed by replacing the radiator cap. I'm not sure if this may have anything to do with it.

Has anyone else experienced this? It only has 45k miles on it, so I can't see that the compressor has seized up.

Also, will this throw a code if I take to the local parts store and have them run a scan?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Usually if it doesn’t engage then you are out of freon. Go to an auto parts store and buy the self service AC kit (they are cheap) and fill your AC to see if it engages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually if it doesn’t engage then you are out of freon. Go to an auto parts store and buy the self service AC kit (they are cheap) and fill your AC to see if it engages.

Thanks Charger. Do you know which port I should use? There’s a canister near the radiator with a plastic cap, and another plastic cap on a line closer to the left rear of the block.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I’ve used the one to the rear over the coil pack covers. Just follow directions on can and you should be fine. If that doesn’t work then you may be in the boat I was in a few weeks back having to replace it. But try the cheap and easy fix first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I’ll give it a shot. Hopefully it’s not the compressor at this mileage but I am in Florida, so it’s always on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts