Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
It should do just fine if you ask me. Look at the torque the V6 is making, 400! With some adjustments they should/could make it pretty stout. But then again I am no SRT "engineer".

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think it will be a big improvement....it will help not only fuel economy but also performance.

The current 5-sp. AT is just too inadequate.....there is a big "void" between 2nd and 3rd gear in my opinion....even a 6-sp. would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Rumors have been around for a while. ZF has 2 8 speeds that could work. The 8HP70 and the 8HP90. The 70 is good for 700nm of tq while the 90 is good for 900nm.

J

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
If the 2013 SRT Jeep comes out with the 8 speed, I hope you guys that bought a 12 will be able to switch trannys, or trade up or something. I don't mean that to be taken anyway negative, but if Chrysler comes out with an 8 speed a year later after launching it's flagship SRT, and most expensive model to date, that's ****ed. Sucks to be those suckers that bought the 12's eh, is what I believe they are saying.

·
Coksmith&Master-Pintsman
5,180 Posts
What good is a transmission that can handle 700NM when you have an engine that puts out 1500NM?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
All electric wrangler ? That would kick ass.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I asked the Star Tech when they were inspecting my TC.They said that tranny is not for the SRT8.But if they come out with it.I'm buying a new one and starting over.LOL

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Does anybody know if the 2012 have the MB tranny if so wont this new ZF be the same size and maybe just maybe fit in to our models.
I know dreaming big

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The 2011 GC had a 5 speed and 2012 has a 6 speed. I don't think changing it a year or two after is a big deal. It was discussed enough to where people knew the possibility of upgrades coming sooner rather than later (8.4" head unit, 6 or 8 speed, new wheels).

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Does anybody know if the 2012 have the MB tranny if so wont this new ZF be the same size and maybe just maybe fit in to our models.
I know dreaming big
2012 gcsrt8 uses the same A580 trans as the WK1. The 8speed may physically fit but the biggest issue would be getting the tcm to talk to the pcm and other modules in the wk1

ZF has a 9 speed tranny, i rather wish someone can install a 7 speed DCT on our beasts.
The ZF 9 speed is a fwd trans, not a rwd trans. Dual clutch transmissions are cool but they still have durability issues, especially in high HP applications. Ask any skyline owner! Even GM has dropped the dual clutch trans from the next Vette.

The 2011 GC had a 5 speed and 2012 has a 6 speed. I don't think changing it a year or two after is a big deal. It was discussed enough to where people knew the possibility of upgrades coming sooner rather than later (8.4" head unit, 6 or 8 speed, new wheels).
The 2012 is still the same A580 we all know and love.

J

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't see how adding another two gears will have any positive effects to performance really, all that may happen is the Butt Dyno will be happier and MAYBE an increased top speed, otherwise your working the trans harder to perform and end up shifting more than you need.. Oh and Skyline owners in the US do not apply for the DCT's problems unless you're talking about the R35 GT-R.. And if thats so, they'll happily help you replace the older trans with a newer one that actually can hold the power it's making.. By the way, there's a reason you void the warranty on the R35's if you select race mode for every where you drive.. It's supposed to be on a registered track, and from my understanding if it is, then you should be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't see how adding another two gears will have any positive effects to performance really, all that may happen is the Butt Dyno will be happier and MAYBE an increased top speed, otherwise your working the trans harder to perform and end up shifting more than you need.. Oh and Skyline owners in the US do not apply for the DCT's problems unless you're talking about the R35 GT-R.. And if thats so, they'll happily help you replace the older trans with a newer one that actually can hold the power it's making.. By the way, there's a reason you void the warranty on the R35's if you select race mode for every where you drive.. It's supposed to be on a registered track, and from my understanding if it is, then you should be covered by warranty.
The issue on the early 09 gtrs wasn't driving in 'r' mode or really anything with racing the gtr, but rather the use of unofficial launch control. Since then they have altered the software for a different rpm at launch and issues have gone down substantially.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts