Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, after discussing the lack of bigger/better caliper options with cmn1 we decided to inquire about looking into what we could get that would fit our jeeps.

We came across an upgrade which would include the following for the front only:

-Wilwood 6 piston calipers (black powdercoat is standard, red is optional +$150)
-Custom billet aluminum adapter bracket
-Brake pads
-Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Depending on the quantity ordered they would be in the $1300-1500 + shipping range.

These would still work with stock sized rotors.

Post up if this is something you would be interested in.

Depending on interest and committed buyers, this is something that could be ready as quickly as in the next 2-4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sounds like a good alternative for those who don't want to spend $4k+ on the gran turismo kit from brembo but still want better than stock stopping power.

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out :cool:

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Why would you need it? Isn't our brakes about as good as it's going to get? Our stopping distance is pretty much based on the grip of the tires now. If I stomp it to the floor the abs engages, so wouldn't that mean the brakes have done all they can do?

Do you remember the guy that got that Brembo kit, with Carbon rotors to boot, his stopping distance never even changed.

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you need it? Isn't our brakes about as good as it's going to get? Our stopping distance is pretty much based on the grip of the tires now. If I stomp it to the floor the abs engages, so wouldn't that mean the brakes have done all they can do?

Do you remember the guy that got that Brembo kit, with Carbon rotors to boot, his stopping distance never even changed.

For guys who drive hard or road course hard the brakes will give you better performance. There is a guy over on LXF with this setup on his Magnum and hasn't had any issues with this setup on the road course.....where his stock brakes failed him.

·
Super Moderator
11,037 Posts

The guy that I know with the Brembo kit doesn't even drive his and I don't believe he ever tested the stopping distance. So who are you talking about? This kit is being made no matter what and the more committed buyers the better the pricing. Bigger pads and a larger area to clamp down on will make for better braking.

I have been in the grass many times due to my brakes failing me, not my tires.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
That guy was from Italy I think. He was a member way back in the day. I'm not knocking your brake kit, I'm just curious why someone would need this IF your not into racing. Would it change your distance from 100 to 0?

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
I know BJB and Bill have the Brembo Big Brake kit. Are those 6 pot?

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That guy was from Italy I think. He was a member way back in the day. I'm not knocking your brake kit, I'm just curious why someone would need this IF your not into racing. Would it change your distance from 100 to 0?

If you aren't into racing or driving hard it isn't really needed. It is an upgrade for those who feel that they need an improvement over stock.

It may decrease the 100-0 distance....but until we have it on jeep and took some data we wouldn't know for sure.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Any pictures of the product Dan ? Also is it a direct bolt on part ?

·
Super Moderator
11,037 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
might be interested but might have to wait till next year depending on my bonus. in my opinion, our 4 piston brembos arent good enough for our rigs. im glad they decided to upgrade on the WK2.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
We all bought the SRT to go,go,go; why do we need these that will make us stop? :silly:

·
Registered
785 Posts

·
STAGE6,LPM,PARAMOUNT,JBT
201 Posts
I would be interested. Bigger is better, bottom line. We would need a comparison TEST 6 pot over stock. If the numbers improve, you will have some good orders from all the big power boys

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
might be interested but might have to wait till next year depending on my bonus. in my opinion, our 4 piston brembos arent good enough for our rigs. im glad they decided to upgrade on the WK2.
I agree, there have been times I wish I had some better stopping power when I need to peel off some speed very quickly.

We all bought the SRT to go,go,go; why do we need these that will make us stop? :silly:
You still have a SRT?

Ummmm...... Chad!? I think he asked Dan.......................Not you.
Chad knows everything that I know about this. He also knew I was on my way to dinner last night so he posted to help me out. The pic he posted is the same kit installed on a Magnum.

The caliper itself:

I would be interested. Bigger is better, bottom line. We would need a comparison TEST 6 pot over stock. If the numbers improve, you will have some good orders from all the big power boys
We will see what we can do.

·
Registered
555 Posts
do theey have a rear caliper kit too, to go with the fronts?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Larger brake calipers or rotors for the most part will increase efficiency not necessarily stop quicker. They will absorb more heat and remain consistent longer at the track. Most modern brakes will lock the wheels easily so stopping distance will be a combination of pedal modulation and tire grip (for at least the first stop). ABS will most of the times work worse if the brakes can even more easily lock the wheel as this will keep the ABS engaged sooner and longer because of the grabbiness they have, if you are using a track tire then you will be able to take much more advantage of a bigger set up.

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
do theey have a rear caliper kit too, to go with the fronts?
I believe they do for the LX cars.
But we are currently only working on the fronts due to how much braking the fronts do. It is amazing how quickly cmn1 can destroy a set of front pads at the track and how long the rears last in comparison.

Yes, I still have an SRT. :fight:
For now.....LOL

Larger brake calipers or rotors for the most part will increase efficiency not necessarily stop quicker. They will absorb more heat and remain consistent longer at the track. Most modern brakes will lock the wheels easily so stopping distance will be a combination of pedal modulation and tire grip (for at least the first stop). ABS will most of the times work worse if the brakes can even more easily lock the wheel as this will keep the ABS engaged sooner and longer because of the grabbiness they have, if you are using a track tire then you will be able to take much more advantage of a bigger set up.
That is true based on the feedback that we got from the Magnum owner who tracks his car with this caliper upgrade.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts