Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any threads about this question. Has anyone installed a 6.4l in there 06-10 SRT. I've been told that its now possible.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
No one that I know of has done it.... Not sure if the wiring harness would be the same for the new 6.4 liter in a 2006 to 2010 jeep...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have a aftermarket wiring harness and computer. And they claim the MDS wil work also. I only ask because the 6.4l is cheaper buying it crate. But I believe after buying the harness and computer the price is almost egual to having it stroked to a 426.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last summer I was speaking with a racing vendor and they were playing with that ideal. What was holding them back were the encryption codes. Fast forward to today ...they say that problem has been solved.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
You can buy a 392 short/long block from any of the vendors on here. Why give yourself a headache with an untunable engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yup exactly what I was thinking or even upgrading a 6.1 to a 426..... Plus I thought they were saying the crank on a new 6.4 was not forged and would not be good for boost as to why they are coming out with a 6.2 liter motor....

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I'd get a 5.7 or 6.1 based 392 that has been battle tested multiple times and be fine, plus you'll have an engine built to your needs, fully forged, boostable, and highly tune-able.

Reactions: StangSlayerMA

·
Vendor
5,596 Posts
^^^^ What Eric said, why get a stock crate setup when you can turn your existing stock 6.1 into a handful of different sizes built around your needs and goals. You'll be able to push big numbers with a motor built the way you want with whatever FI power combos etc rather than being stuck with a stock 6.4 that makes 50 more hp than the stock 6.1 does.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Do you mean put the new 6.4L in? What would be the point of that? The 6.1 can be bored out to a 6.4, 7.0, 7.2.....and has tons of aftermarket parts available. Why would you want to swap to a newer, weaker, unproven engine, that has very limited tuning, and very few performance parts available? It hasn't even been proven that the new 6.4 can safely handle boost.

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
^^^^ What Eric said, why get a stock crate setup when you can turn your existing stock 6.1 into a handful of different sizes built around your needs and goals. You'll be able to push big numbers with a motor built the way you want with whatever FI power combos etc rather than being stuck with a stock 6.4 that makes 50 more hp than the stock 6.1 does.
^^^This. You will spend a very comparable amount of money between the two options, but the stroked 5.7/6.1 motor option will allow you to produce much greater power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts